Rant of the Day!

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 26, 2015 in Mind Your Own Business
Mozilla / Thunderbird

I have been using Thunderbird for my email for many years and like it.

Now it just quit working! Somehow it isn't talking to my G-mail account.

I have spent more hours than I will ever admit to trying to go through all the help menus and have given up. :cry

Mozilla has no e-mail address, no phone help and no chat help.

I need a new mail client, (I really don't like the G-mail interface), and hope I can somehow integrate the Thunderbird address book into the new email client. the Mac mail app seems to be less than desirable.

I think I may start using Safari as a web browser just in case FireFox decides to go south for the winter.

Just when you think you have the basics covered. :bash:bash:bash

Sam

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 15, 2015
    Have you checked the Mozilla/Thunderbird forum? I usually get faster responses from community forums than from corporate support.

Dunno what the problem might be in your case. I use Gmail normally and it works fine for me. But once a week, I download all my new mail to my local machine with Thunderbird so that I have some feeble defense if Google becomes conscious and decides to destroy humanity. I did my download today and Thunderbird worked fine, but I'm using Windows, not Mac. ne_nau.gif

Have you updated either Thunderbird or OS-X recently? Are you using any anti-virus software to scan your mail? What may have changed? One thing I'd check is whether your Thunderbird security settings are still those supported by Gmail...these do change from time to time as new vulnerabilities are uncovered. deal.gif
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2015
    Must be a Mac thing. I use Thunderbird for all of my e-mails (Gmail, Yahoo, and my domain e-mails) with no problems. I just got an e-mail from my Gmail account a few hours ago via Thunderbird.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Have you checked the Mozilla/Thunderbird forum? I usually get faster responses from community forums than from corporate support.

Dunno what the problem might be in your case. I use Gmail normally and it works fine for me. But once a week, I download all my new mail to my local machine with Thunderbird so that I have some feeble defense if Google becomes conscious and decides to destroy humanity. I did my download today and Thunderbird worked fine, but I'm using Windows, not Mac. ne_nau.gif

Have you updated either Thunderbird or OS-X recently? Are you using any anti-virus software to scan your mail? What may have changed? One thing I'd check is whether your Thunderbird security settings are still those supported by Gmail...these do change from time to time as new vulnerabilities are uncovered. deal.gif
    It worked well for me too.................until it didn't.

I have no idea if the security settings etc are good or not.

I will try the forum in a day or two. I am way too tired of it all right now.

Thanks!!!

Sam
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2015
    I've been using em Client and it's stable and free. Still not as good as my work machine's Outlook. But, a good free app.
  • Reflections By BrianReflections By Brian Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2015
    I had a similar problem a few years back and my ISP had blocked the port I had been using to send email. After searching forums for while I found that I could use a different port and am my problems went away. I would think the forums would be buzzing about it if that was the problem, but worth checking. I don't use G-Mail but Ive been using Thunderbird for years now with no problems other than this one.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2015
    You might try gmail's new "Inbox" user interface. I haven't given it a fair shake because I like the regular old gmail, but it's new and supposed to be better somehow. I tried to go back to using the Apple "Mail" app on my iPhone and I couldn't take it. I need the gmail app's filtering of "promotions" and "social" emails into their respective areas. I get so much email that isn't quite spam, but isn't worthy of my immediate attention either.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.