Canon XSi

dogdaydogday Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited June 15, 2015 in Cameras
I'm looking to buy a new camera certainly want better than what I had looking for a step or two above what I have now.

Thanks in advance for sugguestions.

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2015
    dogday wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a new camera certainly want better than what I had looking for a step or two above what I have now.

Thanks in advance for sugguestions.

You might want to include what you have now, what you are considering. It is also helpful to add what you can not do with your current camera, what your limits are, what your experience is. Other equipment, lenses, etc are an important consideration.

Also, what kind of photography do you want to do and what kind of photography do you do now.
  • dogdaydogday Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2015
    cmason wrote: »
    You might want to include what you have now, what you are considering. It is also helpful to add what you can not do with your current camera, what your limits are, what your experience is. Other equipment, lenses, etc are an important consideration.

Also, what kind of photography do you want to do and what kind of photography do you do now.

I have a Canon XSi I'd like a camera with more ISO options, faster shutter speed I have a good range of lenses.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2015
    Ok, lets consider these:

Faster shutter speed:

Faster shutter speed is going to be difficult: even the latest Rebel, the T6s/750D has the same shutter speed range as your Xsi (1/30-1/4000). The Canon 7D goes to 1/8000, if that is truly important to you. I find fast lenses (ie f/2.8 or faster) are a bigger impact than top shutter speed.

More ISO:

Your XSi has ISO 100-1600, but by my experience, ISO 800 is really a limit. The T6s/750D supports ISO 100-12800, though I don't have any experience in how much of that range is useful, though I suspect it is better than your current camera. The 7D goes to 16,000 and even higher with configuration, but ISO 1600 and beyond is very useful. If ISO is your biggest concern, the 5D series are the champs here for your consideration.

Beyond the factors you mentioned, let me add a few:

Continuous Drive: this is how many photos per second you can record, which is nice for sports. The XSi can shoot 3.5 frames per second. The T6s can do 5fps, the 7D can do 10fps. But more importantly, the newer cameras have larger buffers, so you can shoot in RAW at high FPS without the camera pausing to write to the memory card. In use, this is the more important factor.

Focus points: having more focus points gives you more flexibility in composing, and if you use the autofocus modes like AI Servo or AI Focus, having more focus points gives the camera much better ability to focus on the right subject before you can. Your camera has 9 points, the T6s has 19, and the 7D has 65.

These are but a few items to consider. There are others, depending on what you like to do, such as multi exposure, landscape, sports, low light, etc
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2015
    I LOVED my Canon XSi in its day. Currently, I'd suggest the 70d if the budget for it is available - I don't own one but know many who do, and images I've seen suggest it's one of the best prosumer cameras Canon has ever made.
  • dogdaydogday Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2015
    Advise
    Ok, lets consider these:

Faster shutter speed:

Faster shutter speed is going to be difficult: even the latest Rebel, the T6s/750D has the same shutter speed range as your Xsi (1/30-1/4000). The Canon 7D goes to 1/8000, if that is truly important to you. I find fast lenses (ie f/2.8 or faster) are a bigger impact than top shutter speed.

More ISO:

Your XSi has ISO 100-1600, but by my experience, ISO 800 is really a limit. The T6s/750D supports ISO 100-12800, though I don't have any experience in how much of that range is useful, though I suspect it is better than your current camera. The 7D goes to 16,000 and even higher with configuration, but ISO 1600 and beyond is very useful. If ISO is your biggest concern, the 5D series are the champs here for your consideration.

Continuous Drive: this is how many photos per second you can record, which is nice for sports. The XSi can shoot 3.5 frames per second. The T6s can do 5fps, the 7D can do 10fps. But more importantly, the newer cameras have larger buffers, so you can shoot in RAW at high FPS without the camera pausing to write to the memory card. In use, this is the more important factor.

Focus points: having more focus points gives you more flexibility in composing, and if you use the autofocus modes like AI Servo or AI Focus, having more focus points gives the camera much better ability to focus on the right subject before you can. Your camera has 9 points, the T6s has 19, and the 7D has 65.

These are but a few items to consider. There are others, depending on what you like to do, such as multi exposure, landscape, sports, low light, etc

Thanks for expert advise it saved me lots of time and not investing in a camera that I won't be happy with.

Thanks
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2015
    Ok, lets consider these:

Faster shutter speed:

More ISO:

No need for new glass if you have 2 more useable stops of iso. (more shutter speed comes along with that)

If you buy a new camera, I would suggest to leave the 7D out of the mix.
    That camera isn't all that much newer than the xsi.

Look at the two new rebels or a 70D.
    I used the rebels series cameras for years, they give you great photos without the bells and whistles.

The 70D for a bit more will give you a couple more frames per second, and 1/8000 shutter speed that you probably don't need.

The last rebel I had, my wife now uses. The T3i is a pretty good camera, but I dislike the 18mp sensor. I see noise in the skies at iso 400.
    I own a 70D. It's my go to camera for things that move or fly.
    I also own a 6D. That's for the non moving subjects, or for when it gets dark. Great high iso noise control.

dave
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.