Options

New: Product Photos and Updated Descriptions in the Shopping Cart

leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
edited June 16, 2015 in SmugMug Product News
When we designed a new UI for adding products to your shopping cart late last year we were just getting started with improvements. The new interface made it easier to find the right product and add it to your cart, especially on mobile devices, but it didn’t do a good job showing what that printed product looks like.

Today, we added photos of all the products and expanded the accompanying product descriptions. The initial screen shows examples from each category of products; choosing a particular product reveals additional information, including photos of the product from different angles. It’s especially helpful for the Wall Art category so the buyer can see how the products will hang on their walls.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-12%20at%209.43.39%20AM-M.pngScreen%20Shot%202015-05-12%20at%209.45.22%20AM-M.png

We went through a number of iterations on the shopping cart design, with our main focus on making it easier for you and your customers to buy products. The photos and colors help draw your customer into each category, knowing exactly what kind of products they should expect. More descriptive product descriptions and photos of the products from multiple angles will help you and your customers understand exactly what they're going to get. We've even baked a little brain into the cart: it will simplify itself based on the products you've selected in your pricelist.

We’ll be watching the data and feedback very closely to ensure it continues to have a positive impact on print sales and will continue to update the photography and design as needed.
dGrin Afficionado
Former SmugMug Product Team
aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

Comments

• Options
    ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2015
    I am glad to see Smugmug making strides with the Buy page, it's vitally important we make it as painless as possible for prospective customers to purchase prints.

I do like the change to show a product mockup for each type of canvas style. It's great that it shows the back of the product too. My only hope is that in future updates to the buy page, we are able to replace the stock art mockups with that of our images.

My only gripe at the moment is with the choice of stock images. Some of us are trying to sell fine art on Smugmug, and I don't particularly want to see an image of a chocolate faced young kid representing my brand image. It just looks cheap and generic.

W4IpljB.jpg
  • Options
    ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2015
    Have a look at how Crated or even FAA handle their mockup buy pages. It's simple and elegant.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited June 12, 2015
    Crated can work well, the way they do it, because their product catalogue is quite small. There's always room to improve our shopping experience and we wanted to make sure we made a vast improvement for you guys sooner, rather than spending extra time developing a more complex system. We're already seeing a nice increase in the # of items added to the cart since the Product Photos were added last month.

I'll pass along your feedback to the team!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    SmugSamSmugSam Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2015
    I'm really pleased to see this part of the process updated and looking slicker. Thanks guys!
    regards,
    Sam
    edited June 16, 2015
    Kudos!
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)