Now drug dealers want free photography

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 26, 2015 in Mind Your Own Business
Ya jus can't make this stuff up.

Note only professionals with pro gear can apply to work for free.

Professionals photographers earn there money by charging for their photography. What part of that is confusing?

Perhaps.......just maybe............it's the pot.

PHOTOGRAPHER NEEDED THIS WEEKEND AT THE CANNABIS CUP (COW PALACE)

no pay

SF Based Photographer needed
Who's gonna be the lucky one to have some fun with us this weekend?? There could be much worst people, places, things, and gigs to photograph, right? :)

YOUR SERVICE WILL INCLUDE:
to follow around marketing reps for cannabis company at the SF High Times Cannabis Cup. Need you to take pictures and document the event and brand reps (wearing really cute outfits) so we can use for our social media.
This will be a fun event, how can you call this work?

WHEN:
Satruday 6/20 11am-3:30pm
Sunday 6/21 11am-3:30pm
(possibly longer hours till 7pm each day, play by ear)

Must be professional photographer with pro equipment.
kindly submit examples of work and we hope to have an amazing time with you this weekend.

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2015
    Losers. If you have time to kill, do the job under a pseudonym and take shit photos and/or photos that make them look like stupid burn-outs. Then tell them they got what they paid for.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2015
    Losers.
    Why? Because they asked for something they will likely get? They want photos for social media not an advertising campaign. You're a sports shooter Jack. How many people have you heard of working an event for free just to get a credential? Lots of wannabe photographers are willing to give away images just to be "published" - even if "published" means on some twitter or facebook account. Asking for something for free doesn't make them a loser - they'll get what they want - there's always someone dumb enough.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2015
    johng wrote: »
    Why? Because they asked for something they will likely get? They want photos for social media not an advertising campaign. You're a sports shooter Jack. How many people have you heard of working an event for free just to get a credential? Lots of wannabe photographers are willing to give away images just to be "published" - even if "published" means on some twitter or facebook account. Asking for something for free doesn't make them a loser - they'll get what they want - there's always someone dumb enough.

Please note they are not asking for a stoner with a cell phone. They want a pro with pro gear.

The photographer will be under the direction of and following the weed company reps. Social media is marketing. They make money! Dope ain't cheap.

No way I am taking two days to get lousy photos. I seriously do not want a contact high or the odor to permeate me, my clothing, or my camera gear. Wouldn't a cigar conference ether. :D

But you are right about somebody will do it. Won't be a pro, but will maybe someone hoping for some samples.

While I do hesitate to work for free I will be shooting an event this year for free. If I were to tell you the event I could easily get hundreds to volunteer to come with me. I get a media pass and free entry which is essential to really photograph the event. It has world wide coverage. The people I will shoot for are very easy going and are happy to accept a few images. They also don't have the ability to pay.

I asked them. They didn't ask em.

Sam
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2015

The drug guys are not losers but exploiters trying to get someone to fall for the exposure will get you business line or playing are hoping to play on a persons ego to get published.

The loser would be the one that agrees to do this.
    edited June 23, 2015
    jonh68 wrote: »
    The drug guys are not losers but exploiters trying to get someone to fall for the exposure will get you business line or playing are hoping to play on a persons ego to get published.

The loser would be the one that agrees to do this.

Sure. That's the game now though. Again, I refer back to sports photography because it was such a prevalent issue - "Hey, imagine watching this game from the sidelines - we'll get you a credential in exchange for the pictures". Lots of people jumped on it.

It's really not so different than consumer asking for something for free or some type of discount. There was another thread somewhere here talking about that with the comment of: "you never know unless you ask". Same concept here. As long as people keep saying "yes", people will still ask for free photography. In the case of situations like this add I suspect people responding for the job aren't doing it for the notion that it will grow their business. It's about ego. That's OK too. Again, back to sports - that's like the unofficial "team" photographer giving away images to other parents. It's an ego boost. There is little to stop enthusiast photographers from getting the "boost" of having people value their images.

Now, I'll take it another step. You're running your own photography business. If there is a free supply of product/services for something you need but isn't a critical success factor and the quality of the product is good enough for your purposes - you might take advantage of it. Especially, as I said, if it's not a critical thing.

As long as people are dumb enough to work for free, smart business people will take advantage of it.
    edited June 23, 2015
    If someone is offering free services sure, I would jump at the offer. I'm not going to solicit someone who has a business and ask for free services or goods like this clown is.

There was a local restaurant wanting local photographers to donate local sunset pictures. I don't think it would go very well if I approached the owner and said I am looking for free food. In exchange I will give you a mention on my blog.
    Sure. That's the game now though. Again, I refer back to sports photography because it was such a prevalent issue - "Hey, imagine watching this game from the sidelines - we'll get you a credential in exchange for the pictures". Lots of people jumped on it.

It's really not so different than consumer asking for something for free or some type of discount. There was another thread somewhere here talking about that with the comment of: "you never know unless you ask". Same concept here. As long as people keep saying "yes", people will still ask for free photography. In the case of situations like this add I suspect people responding for the job aren't doing it for the notion that it will grow their business. It's about ego. That's OK too. Again, back to sports - that's like the unofficial "team" photographer giving away images to other parents. It's an ego boost. There is little to stop enthusiast photographers from getting the "boost" of having people value their images.

Now, I'll take it another step. You're running your own photography business. If there is a free supply of product/services for something you need but isn't a critical success factor and the quality of the product is good enough for your purposes - you might take advantage of it. Especially, as I said, if it's not a critical thing.

As long as people are dumb enough to work for free, smart business people will take advantage of it.
    edited June 23, 2015
    If someone is offering free services sure, I would jump at the offer. I'm not going to solicit someone who has a business and ask for free services or goods like this clown is.

If the person who put the request out there gets what they wanted, why are they "a clown"? From a business perspective, driving down supply costs is smart business strategy. Again, how much time and effort went into placing the add? Probably not much. If they get bites, it's a successful business strategy.

Now, if I'm the one doing that for said company, I should have a plan "B" if I don't get a good response. Again, I think the egos of photographers get in the way here. The world has moved on. To many consumers, that is no longer a product/service worth thousands of dollars like it would have been a decade ago.

You mentioned the restaurant - there's a local restaurant here who displays photos from local photographers - they don't pay. You can call them "clowns" or any other derogatory term you choose but they ask for photos and they get them - for free. That's a successful business strategy on their part. That doesn't make them a "clown" - it makes them pretty smart.

What is not smart is if you have a business model that attempts in any way, shape or form, to compete. You shouldn't be relying on a customer base that is willing to settle for "free". If you can't offer a product/service that people are willing to pay for - that's not their problem, it's your business' problem.

If you can make a compelling business case to a supplier to reduce your costs - you're a good business person, not a "clown". The rub of it is this - there aren't a lot of jobs out there where your competition isn't another business. That's what makes the business of photography so difficult. But from a demand side, as long as there are plenty of suppliers, demand will keep asking. They don't make their business decisions on what is best for photographers - nor should they.
    edited June 23, 2015
    Sorry for not taking a philosophical and enlightened perspective on this. The drug guys can do whatever they want and photographers can leave it or take it. I can also give my opinion on what I think of their offer. I haven't used the term "clown" so I don't get that little tangent.

I am well aware of where I am going to make my money. It isn't by competing on price and racing to the bottom. Again, this example they were asking for professional services for free. I have had potential customers balk at my price for all the images on a CD and have had others pay $500 for one picture. I know the routine.

Sorry for having another opinion different from yours, have a nice day.

If the person who put the request out there gets what they wanted, why are they "a clown"? From a business perspective, driving down supply costs is smart business strategy. Again, how much time and effort went into placing the add? Probably not much. If they get bites, it's a successful business strategy.

Now, if I'm the one doing that for said company, I should have a plan "B" if I don't get a good response. Again, I think the egos of photographers get in the way here. The world has moved on. To many consumers, that is no longer a product/service worth thousands of dollars like it would have been a decade ago.

You mentioned the restaurant - there's a local restaurant here who displays photos from local photographers - they don't pay. You can call them "clowns" or any other derogatory term you choose but they ask for photos and they get them - for free. That's a successful business strategy on their part. That doesn't make them a "clown" - it makes them pretty smart.

What is not smart is if you have a business model that attempts in any way, shape or form, to compete. You shouldn't be relying on a customer base that is willing to settle for "free". If you can't offer a product/service that people are willing to pay for - that's not their problem, it's your business' problem.

If you can make a compelling business case to a supplier to reduce your costs - you're a good business person, not a "clown". The rub of it is this - there aren't a lot of jobs out there where your competition isn't another business. That's what makes the business of photography so difficult. But from a demand side, as long as there are plenty of suppliers, demand will keep asking. They don't make their business decisions on what is best for photographers - nor should they.
    edited June 23, 2015
    Sorry for not taking a philosophical and enlightened perspective on this.

It's not philosophy, it's business. If you want to be a successful supplier, you need to understand behavior of the potential client. Discounting that behavior because it doesn't fit how you WANT them to behave isn't a philosophical mistake, it's a business mistake. In short, understand the market.
    I haven't used the term "clown" so I don't get that little tangent.

sure you did. I suggest you re-read more carefully where I quoted your exact statement where the word "clown" appeared. Or did someone else use your account to make that post?
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2015
    johng, you're giving them way too much credit.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited June 26, 2015
    You're right Jack. It's not an incredibly savvy decision on their part - it's just common practice. I'm betting more often than not, small time businesses are just simply using the photos from the employee with "a good camera". No need for even a craigslist add.