One week in Iceland

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited June 25, 2015 in Journeys
I spent a week in Iceland in February in an effort to improve my landscape photography and hopefully see some aurorae.

Landed in Reykjavik after a redeye flight and had the day to myself to wander the city.
1. The famous Solfar (Sun Voyager) sculpture as a storm rolled in.
21615-5-X2.jpg

Wandered around as it began to snow and took refuge in Harpa, the beautiful concert hall on the harbor.

21615-8-X2.jpg

21615-6-X2.jpg

I decided against renting a bike for the day. :huh
21615-12-X2.jpg

Trudged up the hill to the highest spot at the city which is home to the Hallgrímskirkja church
21615-10-XL.jpg

The storm cleared a bit at night and I ventured out for a bite to eat.
21615-14-X2.jpg

The next morning I met up with my photography group and our guides for the week. We set out in two vehicles and stopped at our first falls for the day. Seljalandsfoss is a lovely falls. You can walk behind the falls but require crampons during the icy winter.

21715-11-X2.jpg

21715-1-XL.jpg

A few hundred meters from the main attraction is a hidden falls named Gljúfurárfoss. Not much to see from the road and most people did not even make the trek over to see this gem.

21715-8-XL.jpg

Once inside, the cavern housing the falls was filled with mist. I had only a few seconds to shoot before my lens was soaked. I would shoot, wipe and shoot again.

21715-4-XL.jpg

Next stop was Skogafoss. Lovely in the fresh snow.

21715-6-X2.jpg

We continued on to Hofn where we would stay for the next 5 nights.

To be continued.

Comments

• chaddchadd Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2015
    Nice report. Seems like you're enjoying your life)
    It would be great to see the photos from all the places you've been to.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2015
    Each morning we would wake up before sunrise and head out to Jokulsarlon. The famous black sand beach with glacial ice. One one side of the road is the glacial lagoon which has a narrow inlet out to sea. The ice would wash out of the lagoon and then get deposited on the beach by waves and wind. I wasn't prepared for the sight when we first arrived. Amazing!

22015-20-X2.jpg

Blocks of ice were constantly washed ashore.

22015-2-X2.jpg

Many had interesting shapes. We would each seek out our own special blocks to try and photograph as the sun rose.

22015-9a-X2.jpg

22015-1-X2.jpg

21815-1-X2.jpg

Once the sun was up, we would make our way over to the glacial lagoon.

21815-9-X2.jpg

22015-35-X2.jpg

21815-7-X2.jpg

22015-36-X2.jpg

Seals could often be seen lounging on the ice.

22015-8-X2.jpg

To be continued...
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2015
    Wow and Wow. I loved those iceberg shots. I really wanted to capture those myself when I was there but never did and now you make me feel like I need to go back. I also really loved seeing the waterfalls in a different light. Going in winter doesn't sound so bad now!
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2015
    clap.gifclapclap.gif These are outstanding. My favorites are the black sand beach - truly amazing landscape.
    edited May 3, 2015
    One morning we set off with a guide to view ice caves beneath the Vatnajökull glacier. The guides find these caves which are carved from the warm water which flows beneath the glacier. We were transported to the edge of the ice by a uniquely modified econoline van.

22015-31-X2.jpg

We then hiked across the ice to the first cave.

22015-32-X2.jpg

Down into the cave.
    22015-10-X2.jpg

Into a scene I couldn't believe. It took me a few minutes just to take it all in. The light filtered through the ice above us cast a blue glow. The river flowed rapidly through the cave.

22015-1-X2.jpg

5. Self portrait. The scalloped patterns in the ice were beautiful.
    21915-4-X2.jpg

22015-9-X2.jpg

The entrance to the second cave was more broad. Here's a shot with our guide, Oskar, to give some perspective.
    22015-7-X2.jpg

Not sure why I like this one with the tripod, but it's one of my favorites.
    22015-6-X2.jpg

To be continued...
  • markl67markl67 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2015
    Wow, some great images! Please could you share the tour company you used? Did you go an organised photography workshop or did you sort everything out in Iceland?
    edited May 4, 2015
    I went with a fellow named Tony Prower. His web site is Icelandaurora.com.

Three of the six guests on our group were from the UK. Really a nice bunch and Tony ran a great tour for everyone.
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2015
    Great images Mitchell. I have this place on my bucket list! clap.gifclap
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2015
    Tonnes of great shots! I spent about a month working in Iceland a couple of years ago and would love to go back just for photographic purposes at some point. At least twice actually, once in winter and once in summer! :)
    edited May 6, 2015
    One afternoon we hiked to Svartifoss. This beautiful waterfall is a 2 mile hike but worth every step. The icy trail kept others away from the site. Our group was the only one there for our entire visit.

22015-21-L.jpg

22015-22-L.jpg

On the way back to our guest house, we spotted some lovely Icelandic horses by the roadside. These animals love to pose.

22015-11-XL.jpg

22015-12-XL.jpg

We also stopped a iconic Mountain Lómagnúpur. I was amazed at the scenery by the roadside.

22015-25-L.jpg

This little falls was just down the road.

22015-27-L.jpg

Off we then went to watch the sun set at Vesturhorn. This beautiful beach had tufts of grass which made a nice contrast.

21915-4-L.jpg

The sky quickly added some dramatic colors as I move over onto the beach.

21915-9-L.jpg

On our last night we finally had some clear skies and were thrilled to see a weak aurora. What a great way to end our trip.

22015-6-L.jpg
    edited May 6, 2015
    More great shots, really like your ones of Svartifoss and Vesturhorn!
    edited May 6, 2015
    Tom Foster wrote: »
    More great shots, really like your ones of Svartifoss and Vesturhorn!

Thanks. That second shot from Vesturhorn is one of my favorites. I printed it 20x30 on metal and it came out really nice.
    edited May 6, 2015
    Sounds good! I need to do some bigger prints actually... Only done up to A3 so far!
    Oh I think I remember Lomagnapur now, I've probably got a few shots of it from a bus window (ie. Much worse!) somewhere!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2015
    Mitchell, the landscapes in #'s 5,6,7 and 8 are just beyond words. You nailed those shots in every way. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• lilirishangellilirishangel Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    Just spectaular and to have a week, wow.. Must be on my bucket list..

Bravo on the shots , simply perfect
    "MOTIVATION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BEAT MERE TALENT." Anonymous

www.snaploonphotography.com
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2015
    Wow! Spectacular work. Serious some of the best ever!!!
    How much was your trip? Can you break it down for me: Airfare, guide service, lodging, etc? Would you have done anything different?
    Thanks,
    John
    edited June 25, 2015
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Wow! Spectacular work. Serious some of the best ever!!!
    How much was your trip? Can you break it down for me: Airfare, guide service, lodging, etc? Would you have done anything different?
    Thanks,
    John

John, thanks for the kind words.

I went with a fellow named Tony Prower. His web site is Icelandaurora.com. Tony is from England but now lives in Iceland year round. He's a great photographer and provided us with excellent guidance. The trip was very well planned. We were a small group and traveled in two vehicles. Tony's friend Owen was our second guide. Owen is a geologist who provided great insight into the geology of Iceland.

I was in Iceland a total of 9 days. Airfare from Florida was about $1000. Pretty easy flight.

The rest of the trip cost about $5500. I felt like it was well worth the price, and I would go again.

I am very glad I went in the winter. There were plenty of tourists, but nowhere near the numbers they get in the summer months. The only thing I would do differently is to stay a bit longer. Two weeks would have been perfect, but I simply cannot get away for that long.