Issue files to clients

JoHawkJoHawk Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited July 3, 2015 in Finishing School
I have just started gaining clients and selling my work and I have previously been selling prints, but now am moving towards also selling the files as part of the package. Then what is the recommended file size I should be selling the client?

The resolution straight out of camera is 240 so I do not change this but do I crop down the image size?

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2015
    The 240ppi only has relevance at the time of printing.
    If you wanted to print a 10x8 @240ppi, the image file would need to have pixel dimensions of 2400 x 1920 pixels (240ppi x 10inches ... and 240ppi x 8inches)
    If that 2400px x 1920px image was printed at 300ppi, it would produce a print of 8inches (2400/300) x 6.4inches (1920/300)
    If that 2400px x 1920px image was printed at 200ppi, it would produce a print of 12inches (2400/200) x 9.6inches (1920/200)
    If that 2400px x 1920px image was printed at 150ppi, it would produce a print of 16inches (2400/150) x 12.8inches (1920/150)

So a print size will depend on the pixel dimensions of the image file and the print resolution it is to be printed at.
    A print resolution of 300ppi is often considered "standard", but a print resolution of 240ppi will give you a very good print - many people would not be able to discern any difference in quality. In quite a few places, people say that a print resolution will provide a good print at a 180ppi resolution.
    The other factor in the equation is the viewing distance - the above info refers to a normal viewing distances ie hand holding a print without putting the print up close to your eyes.
    A billboard poster can be printed at VERY low print resolutions because the billboard is meant to be viewed from a long distance away. If you were to be within touching distance, you would see the individual "dots" of ink.

So to your original question - what pixel dimensions should you be selling to your clients? (not I do NOT mean "file size as that is a product of pixel dimensions and the complexity of the subject within the image and the degree of compression when saving it).
    Workout what is the maximum size (in inches) you want the client to produce an excellent print. Multiply each of those by your 240ppi and you have the pixel dimensions your file needs to be - just be aware, that they CAN produce a bigger print if they choose to print at 200ppi or 180ppi or 150ppi etc)

So if you are anticipating a print of 16 x 20inches, printed at 240ppi ... then the file would need to have dimensions of 3840px x 4800px (16x240 and 20x240)
    How do you do that? In photoshop ... "Edit > Image Size ... enter the actually pixel dimensions you want (3840x4800)" SAVE AS A COPY - do not change you original sized, edited file.
    Note: if the file you want to resize does not have the same aspect ratio as the original file, then you will have to crop the original file to match the file ratio of the digital file you are selling. AGAIN, DO NOT CHANGE THE ORIGINAL.
    If image ratios don't make any sense to you, do some research and/or ask)

Me? I give them an option of 1200px (long side), 2400px (long side) and 3600px (long side) ... obviously at different prices
    The problem with offering three sizes is that virtually every prospective buyer NEVER says which one they want. I always have to get back to them and ask them which option they want!!
    It also means you have to spend time educating the purchaser about what each option is capable of.
    So if they buy a 1200px size file, they could get great prints 4inches long (1200px/300ppi), or 6inches long (1200px/200ppi), or 8inches long (1200px/150ppi)
    .... or 12inches long (1200/100ppi) - nit going to look great.

Once you release the digital file, you have to accept that they might produce a pretty crappy print if they choose to print too big (small print resolution - ppi).
    If you can't live with that, don't sell digital files.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • JoHawkJoHawk Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2015
    Thank you a very informative answer. I would think selling files to print nicely at a 10 x 15inch size would be suitable this falls with the existing camera ratio and if I crop to 10 x 15 inches with the 240 resolution. I guess I need to add a disclaimer that large format printing is not suitable.
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2015
    Sounds like a plan.
    So you would need to crop to a 2:3 ratio and resize to 2400px x 3600px

Is a 10 x 15inch a standard size for Canada?

That aspect ratio also fits a 4 x 6inch, 6 x 8inch and a 8 x 12inch ... so it gives the purchaser some options where the image will fit exactly.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2015
    To reiterate the most important point: When you crop, leave the "Resolution" window empty so the image won't be resampled. And don't resize the image. Let your clients do that, if they need to for printing.
    edited June 29, 2015
    OOhh good tip did not know leaving the resolution image blank was important. Then if i just crop it down it will stay the same resolution/quality as SOOC if it is left blank? just a smaller image size?
    edited June 29, 2015
    10 x 15 size just seems to me be what I am happy to issue clients, I do not know what is "standard" as I have not asked many photographers in Canada what they issue.
    edited June 29, 2015
    JoHawk wrote: »
    OOhh good tip did not know leaving the resolution image blank was important. Then if i just crop it down it will stay the same resolution/quality as SOOC if it is left blank? just a smaller image size?

Right.
    edited July 2, 2015
    Peano wrote: »
    To reiterate the most important point: When you crop, leave the "Resolution" window empty so the image won't be resampled. And don't resize the image. Let your clients do that, if they need to for printing.

So i had a crack at this - to crop image down to 10inch x 15inch and leave the resolution blank.. Photoshop did not change anything at all unless I fill in the resolution. So I must be doing something wrong here?
    edited July 2, 2015
    So i had a crack at this - to crop image down to 10inch x 15inch and leave the resolution blank.. Photoshop did not change anything at all unless I fill in the resolution. So I must be doing something wrong here?

What are the pixel dimensions of your images straight from the camera?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited July 3, 2015
    Thank you a very informative answer. I would think selling files to print nicely at a 10 x 15inch size would be suitable this falls with the existing camera ratio and if I crop to 10 x 15 inches with the 240 resolution. I guess I need to add a disclaimer that large format printing is not suitable.

I rarely use the Cropping tool to resample while cropping. I reserve resampling for the Image - Image Size process.

The reason; I feel that the Image Size process delivers superior results, mostly because it allows seperate settings for enlargement and reduction, with Bicubic Sharper sharpening for reduction and Bicubic Smoother for enlargement, plus Scale Styles selection (for layers), all of which seems to deliver more desirable final images.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums