Mini Challenge #210 - Science

quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited August 7, 2015 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am new to the challenges but I like to take photos of science and math, could be a little different ...

This challenge will run for 2 weeks - from today until Friday, August 7, 2015 @ 5:00pm PST-USA.

################################################## ##########################
OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

################################################## ########################

Examples:

midterms-L.jpg

c8-L.jpg

IMG_6851-L.jpg
heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
facebook
photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2015
    What an interesting idea. Here's the first one I came up with

IMG_3787.JPG

This is a robot built by a the team one of my grandson's is on - this was the robot for 2013 which had to throw frisbees through slots at the other end of the area. This is FIRST robotics and their team number is 624 so their nickname is Kryptonite.

This is something called Optivision which I found in the closet. Not sure what it is for

IMG_1659.JPG

And I also found this in my father's study closet when I was clearing up after my mother died. My father was a professor of anatomy in medical school.

IMG_4101.JPG

This is a partially articulated skeleton (the hands, feet and spine are articulated). The medical school didn't want it back, so I still have it. It is now in my closet.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2015
    Interesting subject

Here is my participation so far:

1. Fibonacci science about the golden spiral

Fibonnaci golden rule

2. How can water do this?

Water in motion motion

3. Surface tension

Flamingo in the Gulf of Mexico starting the lift-of...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2015
    Space Exploration... all images are from the California Science Center - Los Angeles, California

Cal%20Sci%20Cen%204a-X2.jpg

Cal%20Sci%20Cen%202-X2.jpg

Cal%20Sci%20Cen%205-X2.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2015
    Astronomy
    Keck Telescopes, Mauna Kea, Hawaii
    IMG_0905-PS-X2.jpg

SOFIA -- Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy -- shown with Venus, Jupiter, and the Moon
    IMG_2564-PS2-X2.jpg

Actual Science on SOFIA -- This was Supernova SN2014J which we observed last year -- shot exposed for the monitors. The right one has raw data, the left quickly reduced data. The supernova is the bright dot in the very middle of the screen. This faces toward the rear of the aircraft, the blue is telescope assembly. The little balloon is attached to our instrument, FLITECAM.
    IMG_7498-PS-X2.jpg
    Chris
  • sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2015
    Here are my entries...

MtWashington7998-L.jpg
    Meteorology - Hayes wind speed chart (the further from the center the read is the windier it is)

MtWashington7510-L.jpg
    Meteorology - Weather instrument tower on the summit of Mt. Washington NH

Daily8239-L.jpg
    Biology - Remains of a red squirrel
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous