This is soft?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited July 27, 2015 in Cameras
I've been told on "another" forum that this image looks soft at 100% view:

5D3_9820-X3.jpg

Here is the full size version:
http://www.jmphotocraft.com/Friends/2013/Sugarloaf/i-8ck4K29/0/O/5D3_9820.jpg

They said her face, helmet, zippers, jacket all look soft. I think they need to update their monitor or their prescription! Or is it me? Can't be! Looks tack sharp to me but what do I know.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited July 9, 2015
    I see good detail from the ski pole tops in front to individual strands of hair behind. Zooming in to her face and helmet area I see sharp teeth and eyes. Also sharp mesh at the ears. Looks good to me. thumb.gif

I do think that the pants are a much higher contrasting print than the jacket, and the sun reflecting on the snow, providing front fill light, is pretty flat, lending to an impression and perception of higher sharpness on the pants.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I see good detail from the ski pole tops in front to individual strands of hair behind. Zooming in to her face and helmet area I see sharp teeth and eyes. Also sharp mesh at the ears. Looks good to me. thumb.gif

I do think that the pants are a much higher contrasting print than the jacket, and the sun reflecting on the snow, providing front fill light, is pretty flat, lending to an impression and perception of higher sharpness on the pants.

15524779-Ti.gif I studied this area on the enlarged post on two separate sessions and there is nothing soft about the area in question. I see very distinct stripes on clothing just behind the zipper on the yellow jacket and the hair can easily be discerned as sharply focused strands. I also can make out details of the reflection on her visor. It's a very well done shot. thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2015
    OK, thank you!! Glad I am not losing it! I agree with both your assessments.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 10, 2015
    The other forum dude needs a new glasses prescription. This pic has spot-on focus.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • MntnKarieMntnKarie Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2015
    The only way anyone could say this image was soft was if they
    over magnified it until it pixelated and they Did need glasses
    or a new script.

Great Capture by the way!

jm, out of curiosity what did you shoot this image with, camera/lens?
    edited July 11, 2015
    Thanks. Canon 5D3, 70-200/2.8II
    -Jack

• photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2015
    JM,

Their is nothing soft about this image. Very sharp to me and I even calibrated my monitor the other day.
    edited July 11, 2015
    Thanks Chris.
    -Jack

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2015
    Looks perfectly acceptable to me. My guess, is there was some envy, or pixel peepers (the measurebater type) Or someone that just wants to insult your work for the sake of making them feel better. (trolls)
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2015
    I've been told on "another" forum that this image looks soft at 100% view:

They said her face, helmet, zippers, jacket all look soft. I think they need to update their monitor or their prescription! Or is it me? Can't be! Looks tack sharp to me but what do I know.

looks sharp to me but I don't usually look at "100%" view which is a small section of of a pic