extra large unusual flare on fireworks

ranran Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited August 1, 2015 in Cameras
I just shot a fireworks last night for a meetup and in processing my pics I noticed this flare coming in the fireworks always from same location, shooting a Nikon D7100 12/24 mm lens set at 1100 ISO, f/6.7 to F/8 can't figure out what caused this , it's not in any other lens. All comments and help really appreciated. Here's an example .Thanks Ran
fireworks.jpg
Randall -FINE ART : FOR OFFICE AND HOME
branhamphoto.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited August 1, 2015
    It kind of looks like something on a front element or filter; probably a smeared fingerprint, possibly an internal fungus.

Take the lens off the camera and use a single-LED flashlight shining through the rear of the lens. That should show you the cause fairly plainly.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It kind of looks like something on a front element or filter; probably a smeared fingerprint, possibly an internal fungus.

Take the lens off the camera and use a single-LED flashlight shining through the rear of the lens. That should show you the cause fairly plainly.

15524779-Ti.gif I've had smudge marks on the front element do this.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53