Share button on gallery level

QBiCQBiC Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited August 3, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Please provide a Share button on gallery pages (for example next to the Slideshow button) so users are able to share to facebook/twitter/email links to the entire gallery.

Especially for Thumbnail or Collage gallery styles this would be beneficial, because now the only way to get access to e.g. "Get a Link" is through the share button on a lightbox first.

Comments

• David AshDavid Ash Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    QBiC wrote: »
    Please provide a Share button on gallery pages (for example next to the Slideshow button) so users are able to share to facebook/twitter/email links to the entire gallery.

Especially for Thumbnail or Collage gallery styles this would be beneficial, because now the only way to get access to e.g. "Get a Link" is through the share button on a lightbox first.

This has my vote too.
    David
  • DantesDameDantesDame Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2013
    Another vote for this function!
  • ande8150ande8150 Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Yes, and provide a way to select "featured" photo(s) to show in the body of the email. The email would link to the beginning of the gallery but that may not be the photo I want to show in the email.

This is definitely my most wanted feature.
  • guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    qbic wrote: »
    please provide a share button on gallery pages (for example next to the slideshow button) so users are able to share to facebook/twitter/email links to the entire gallery.

Especially for thumbnail or collage gallery styles this would be beneficial, because now the only way to get access to e.g. "get a link" is through the share button on a lightbox first.

+1
  • sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Another vote here!
  • DesptachesGalleryDesptachesGallery Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Yes - didn't we have this in "legacy" anyway?

I'd like to choose which social media sites/methods as well.
  • ande8150ande8150 Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Share button on gallery level
    No, this wasn't in legacy SM (at least for email).

Anyone interested in this should vote for the featre at http://feedback.smugmug.com.

That is where they monitor interest in new features.
  • bkrodgersbkrodgers Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    I've added this to the feedback site (stole OP's text and linked back here). Please go vote for it!
    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4348979-share-button-on-gallery-level
  • vrvincevrvince Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    Is this a photo sharing site, or not? Hmmm, maybe not, since the term "share" only appears once on www.smugmug.com, 3/4 of the way down the page.
    Gallery level sharing, at the Gallery level, duh, existed before, and leaving it out now is a glaring, usability oversight.
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    NOTE: even if you get to the Share --> Get a Link --> Gallery Links, they are pretty broken. The links there, except for the Buy link, are not persistent and will break if you reorganize the site. Even more lovely, the "slideshow" version of the link goes to the old legacy slideshow format. There is a bug report here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240063&highlight=link

It hasn't seen an update from Smugmug in a couple weeks, and it hasn't made it onto the active bug list.

GrBlizz posted a workaround, so if you want a persistent gallery link, find the gallery key from the "buy" link and cobble a link together.
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2013
    Still Broken 09-19-13
    pbandj wrote: »
    NOTE: even if you get to the Share --> Get a Link --> Gallery Links, they are pretty broken. The links there, except for the Buy link, are not persistent and will break if you reorganize the site. Even more lovely, the "slideshow" version of the link goes to the old legacy slideshow format. There is a bug report here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240063&highlight=link

It hasn't seen an update from Smugmug in a couple weeks, and it hasn't made it onto the active bug list.

GrBlizz posted a workaround, so if you want a persistent gallery link, find the gallery key from the "buy" link and cobble a link together.

Yep still broken. On the other hand, you can use this bug to get a legacy slideshow going!!mwink.gif
  • NY2LANY2LA Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2014
    I desperately want to be able to add a Facebook Share button to galleries. Copying and pasting the URL into the Facebook status window works; it brings up the title, description, and feature image. But I don't want to have to tell people they can do it that way. It should be something people can do on an impulse, even if they don't know they could copy and paste the URL.

I think it should be provided through the Social > Share Buttons content block that can be added to galleries. Right now, unless I am missing something, the content block consists of a Facebook Like button, and not a Facebook Share button. While I wouldn't mind being able to add both, I think the Facebook Share button is more important.

To me, it seems the Facebook Like button is misrepresented as a Facebook Share button at: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1218610-how-can-owners-and-viewers-share-photos-from-smugmug-

But if SmugMug updates the Social > Share Buttons content block, how will they let us know?
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 14, 2014
    NY2LA wrote: »
    But if SmugMug updates the Social > Share Buttons content block, how will they let us know?

Great question NY2LA! We have a number of ways of interacting with you guys to announce Product Releases, including:
    For items that aren't big enough to generate a blog post or email announcement I will post the changes in the Product News forum. I'm actually planning on doing a semi-regular "dump" or all the items released in the last <x> days/weeks/month.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited February 15, 2015
    leftquark, please show how to add a Facebook Share button to galleries on your CSS Customizations website. I still have to tell people to copy and paste the URL.
    edited August 3, 2015
    As far as I can tell, this requested feature, a Facebook Share button on galleries, is still not available. Can anyone suggest the best approach to encourage SmugMug to prioritize adding the feature, among these options:

1.) Pray for it every day

2.) Organize a protest with picket signs outside SmugMug headquarters

3.) Become rich and buy SmugMug