Pull backs....lets have some!

Comments

• r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2014
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Love it!!!!!! I know a photographer in Vegas who does all of his portrait work out of his garage and man you should see his work....WOW.
    You have a linky?

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2014
    For the life of me I can't find his name. He gave a lecture here in MD on how he works out of the garage. He also did a lot of commercial work and his lighting was impeccable. Here is a link but I don't believe this is the guy. If I can find it again I'll post it.

http://www.larryhanna.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=0
    edited October 22, 2014
    basic explained
    Here is what I did or the thought process that I used for the drum major in the basic thread I posted in the people thread.

She had a great red should cape that looked great from the rear so we started with a single light with the subject in profile and the light on a 45 behind her.

i-w8zt3PD-X2.jpg

The cape was not shown so I added a reflector but it wasn't enough but it did add some slight detail to the back side as you can see in the hat especially. You can just see the cape starting to appear.

i-zwbhSxg-X3.jpg

I then brought in a strip light gridded (basically 8" by 24"), I turned it horizontally to keep the spread of light off the hat and bottom half of the lower portion of her and to hit the red cape. The hat being white still catches a lot of light, I could have blocked it with a scrim but I'm lazy and it is not going into a magazine spread. I also added a small bkg light to separate her a bit.

i-d9MrBbs-X2.jpg
    edited November 5, 2014
    PLM with reflector
    Paul Buff PLM the large one and the Eyelighter, and one light on the bkg.

1. i-n32bcn3-X2.jpg

2. i-cKrXCQN-X2.jpg

3. i-XbQmWzZ-X2.jpg
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 640 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    No more MacGyver! clap.gif Since I've been getting as good results using two Canon 600RT flashes in one umbrella as I do with my Alien Bee/Vagabond for outdoor group photos, I've decided to streamline my kit and just stick to the two speedlights. The "MacGyver" hack Charles referred to above was using a multiclamp to cobble up a couple of flashes when I forgot my Alien Bee one day. But that was cumbersome and finicky. I know they make commercial multi-flash brackets. But since I knew exactly what I wanted, for less than $5 in materials, I made my own.

I've really grown to despise those adjustable metal hot shoe mounts on almost all commercial flash brackets. So this uses the plastic bases that come with the flashes. They are solid and of course the flash fits and locks perfectly.

Materials list:
    7"x2"x1/8" band iron
    three 1/4-20 cap screws, 1/2" long.
    a few 1/4" washers

Oh, and of course you already have the standard umbrella mount which comes with the brass piece.

Instructions: drill three 1/4" holes in the band iron. One in the center, and two more 2" to either side of the center hole. Assemble. :D

i-ZhzvrhN-XL.jpg

i-xvjG5NB-XL.jpg

I just made this today. Home Depot only had 3/4" screws, so I had to pad the flash base screws with a bunch of washers. I'll replace those with 1/2" screws when I get around to it and also paint the band iron. I have an event in the morning, so this is ready to go. deal.gif

Love what you've done with this! DIY is the way to go....
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
    edited November 5, 2014
    Here is what I did or the thought process that I used for the drum major in the basic thread I posted in the people thread.

She had a great red should cape that looked great from the rear so we started with a single light with the subject in profile and the light on a 45 behind her.

i-w8zt3PD-X2.jpg

The cape was not shown so I added a reflector but it wasn't enough but it did add some slight detail to the back side as you can see in the hat especially. You can just see the cape starting to appear.

i-zwbhSxg-X3.jpg

I then brought in a strip light gridded (basically 8" by 24"), I turned it horizontally to keep the spread of light off the hat and bottom half of the lower portion of her and to hit the red cape. The hat being white still catches a lot of light, I could have blocked it with a scrim but I'm lazy and it is not going into a magazine spread. I also added a small bkg light to separate her a bit.

i-d9MrBbs-X2.jpg

Love what you did here Charles!
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2014
    Ive been lurking this thread for some time now and thought I would finally jump in. Here is my contribution:

DSC_1973_zps0495f50e.jpg

DevinComposite_zps34f837a6.jpg
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2014
    Oh that is so cool! How fun!
    edited November 21, 2014
    Really nice job.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 21, 2014
    Haha, awesome Joel Grimes look. I'll bet the kid and parents loved it. Really good work. thumb.gif
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Haha, awesome Joel Grimes look. I'll bet the kid and parents loved it. Really good work. thumb.gif

haha thanks....ya I love the three light Joel Grimes look even though mine are a little less cool than his...the kid was actually a little embarrassed caused he thought he looked too cool but his parents loved it. Im hoping the league he plays in picks me up next year to do their league photos
    edited November 25, 2014
    Here is a shot straight out of camera. Two speed lights, one in a small softbox and the other naked. The two shots are slightly different poses but the setup was the same.

i-2jh7Ndw-X2.jpg

Here you can see the subtle differences with the kicker added.

i-Hgm5cfw-X2.jpg
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2014
    Very nice Charles! I like brick used in shots but I am distracted by the bricks not being straight across at the top of the frame. My eyes go straight to that part of the image maybe because it is so close to his face. Hopefully that is just me because it is a very cool image!
    edited November 25, 2014
    Andee wrote: »
    Very nice Charles! I like brick used in shots but I am distracted by the bricks not being straight across at the top of the frame. My eyes go straight to that part of the image maybe because it is so close to his face. Hopefully that is just me because it is a very cool image!

I agree and understand. The second shot was on an angle so the lines don't line up so to speak. I do love posting here as many folks find some great catches.
    edited November 25, 2014
    Here is a shot straight out of camera. Two speed lights, one in a small softbox and the other naked. The two shots are slightly different poses but the setup was the same.

i-2jh7Ndw-X2.jpg

Here you can see the subtle differences with the kicker added.

i-Hgm5cfw-X2.jpg

Love the simplicity of this shot Charles.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Ray DauphinaisRay Dauphinais Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2015
    Homebuilt pullback
    My homebuilt fluorescent 'squarelight'.

9605854505_4645384745_o.jpg

Build information here: http://www.creativeconceptdfw.com/square-fluorescent-ring-light-build/
    All my images are made with 100% recycled electrons.

Follow me on Twitter and Like me on Facebook
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2015
    this is neat!
    Not a fan of square catchlights (my OCD kicks in), but wow, that's neat!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited March 4, 2015
    It gives a really great light and thanks for all the info. Awesome shot by the way.
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2015
    My homebuilt fluorescent 'squarelight'.

9605854505_4645384745_o.jpg

Build information here: http://www.creativeconceptdfw.com/square-fluorescent-ring-light-build/

This is a really nice idea. thanks for the build info!!
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2015
    eat your veggies
    I needed to shoot Fruit and Veggies against a white bkg. for a client. The trouble is I only have one 600 EX-speedlight. I took white bulletin board paper and hung it over my sliding glass door and let the light shine through. It acted as a light box. It's a true poor man's set-up.

The reflections were added in PS afterward.

i-3QW8t7n-L.jpg

Peppers-L.jpg

Orange-L.jpg

Corn-L.jpg
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
    edited March 4, 2015
    Love the veggies and great job while keeping it simple. Back in the 70's I went to a workshop with this fellow who charged $600 per day and made a heck of a good living doing product photography for some really big names. He used a white bed sheet and did the photos on his porch, no lie. So you don't need all the bells and whistles. Light is light and you just need to know how to use it. Great job.
  • Ray DauphinaisRay Dauphinais Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2015
    Thank you David. I'm glad you found it useful.

This is a really nice idea. thanks for the build info!!
    All my images are made with 100% recycled electrons.

Follow me on Twitter and Like me on Facebook
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2015
    I got an idea for the pull back thread from watching a Creative Live workshop with Sue Bryce/Felix Kunze called Natural vs Studio Light Challenge. In the workshop, Sue Bryce setup her shots using all natural light, and Felix Kunze had to replicate the light using studio lights. The way he did this was to get a reference shot of the model holding up a shiny black Christmas ball in front of her/his face for the natural light shots. For most of them, all he added to what Sue Bryce had used in her natural light shots was a single studio strobe, and a scrim to diffuse the light. He was so accurate in recreating the natural light that Sue Bryce used, that she is now starting to use the same method when natural light is no longer an option for her. Sue had stated that before she had a set amount of time during the day that she could shoot, but now she can shoot anytime she wants.

So, in the future when doing pullbacks, shoot one with the subject holding a shiny Christmas ball in front of their face, along with your pullback shot. Then post the reference shot with the Christmas ball first and challenge everyone to guess your setup, then post the pullback shot. This could ending up being fun!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited March 7, 2015
    Gary, that is a great idea. I'm starting to scale down the studio as I will be 65 and want to purchase a condo down in SC so it will have to wait for a few weeks. My daughter purchased a house and I am stuck with doing the renovations. Boy will I be glad when it is finished. I haven't shot in nearly 7 weeks. Folks will be forgetting that I'm still in business. Thanks for the idea.
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2015
    For a senior shoot... he's a state ranked hurdler? lol. The sun for rim/hair, two sb600 for edge, AB1600 with a parabolic for main.

17207607555_d1f10c46a6_c.jpg

17021980509_217a21048e_b.jpg

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited June 9, 2015
    A friends wedding.
    Stopped doing weddings many years ago but wanted to help out this young lady as I knew her parents way before she was born. They wanted this particular spot on the golf course steps so don't mind the spotted lighting. Not my choice but you do want the client wants and work with it. Could have used more lighting but didn't anticipate the area.

1. i-5mRCM4T-X2.jpg

2. i-F2ps7St-X2.jpg

3. i-7NtcqMH-X2.jpg

4. i-n8RtZvM-X2.jpg

5. i-Gfr3pXF-X2.jpg

edited July 6, 2015
    Sorry for no pullback but these were again done with two Canon 600exrt flashes side by side. Dropped the ambient exposure by 1 1/2 stops and added light for effect. Still have to do a few retouches.

1. i-TM66tLN-X2.jpg

2. i-q4XRsJ6-X2.jpg

Not much for these jumping shots but mom asked for it so mom gets what she wants.

3. i-fwp8cWM-X2.jpg
    edited August 7, 2015
    Pullback of last night's shoot for a motorcycle club. They're creating a calendar to sell at a fund raising event for our armed forces.

One very large hi-key set up, 16' width. (Don't tell Amazon...) 7' PLM, 40x60 softbox, 4 background lights.

i-55x2qkt-X2.jpg

Sample shot
    i-d5MXzXC-X2.jpg
    edited August 7, 2015
    Nice and clean, great work.
    edited August 7, 2015
    Nice and clean, great work.
    Thank, Charles! thumb.gif