Options

Two views of a ruin

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited August 12, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
In this case, I'm not wondering whether I prefer color or black and white. I want both, for various reasons. The second was photographed with an infrared camera. Criticism would be very welcome.

I photographed this ruin three years ago, but the sky wasn't what I wanted and I'd been looking for an opportunity to give it another try.

Wupatki%20080515-1-L.jpg

Wukoki%202%20080415-1-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2015
    I like them both thumb.gifthumb.

Really like the warm light and color in the first image. I think I would try to lighten the shadows at the bottom of the image about 1/3rd of a stop, just to even out the dynamic range a bit, but with out putting it in Lightroom I'm not positive how it would work.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback, Phil. I'll try your suggestion.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2015
    First one is fine shot!
    Second one feels great!
    The pattern and shadows are more meaningful, have more harmony, and thus greater impact! It also keeps focus on the ruin, and other elements are working to highlight the ruin.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2015
    Thanks, Taz.
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2015
    It's a great shot, in either format. As Taz pointed out, the B&W offers more feeling because the colors (or any that might be lacking) aren't there to distract.

In LR, I'd recommend bumping the clarity & vibrance, use the ND filter tool to pop the shadows a bit, and adjust the the blue levels (up) to bring the sky out a little more. I think you'll be happier with the color version with those adjustments.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2015
    Don, one of the attributes (among many) of your photography I think you excel at is the ability to make a shot appear natural SOC. The colors in the first shot I find to be very natural and again as I've said before it appears that I'm standing directly where you stood viewing the scene. They are very reminiscent of shots I saw as a kid reading a magazine entitled "Arizona Highways". Don't know if that's still around but your shots are very comparable to pictures I remember from that publication. The IR shot also is an eye catcher secondary to the play on gray tones and the excellent exposure in the immediate foreground. Very very nice my friend. thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited August 6, 2015
    JonaBeth, thanks for the comments and for the constructive feedback. It's appreciated.

Wayne, Arizona Highways is very much alive and publishes a lot of very fine photography. Your comparison is a compliment. With ruins, in particular, I feel compelled to photograph with respect and restraint, so processing is pretty minimal. No pixel remained untouched but the changes were all pretty subtle. I really appreciate your kind words.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2015
    Both are pleasing and side-by-side I'm attracted to the B&W more... clap.gif no surprise I guess...
    I think I remember the earlier image you mentioned and remember liking that one as a color image. thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2015
    The color image seems more tangible, and the B/W seems more sacred. Where tangible becomes sacred is where I want to be, and you've captured that exquisitely! I love them both! Thank you!!
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2015
    Eric, CCoop, thanks very much. Sacred is a good word for what I was after.
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2015
    I like them both Don, but I'm leaning more to the bw - the dynamic range seems more balanced. I was at the ruins a few years ago at sunset. Stunning location.
    -Len
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2015
    Thanks, Len. I've wondered how they might look at sunset, but I'm basically never out taking photos then.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    The color image seems more tangible, and the B/W seems more sacred. Where tangible becomes sacred is where I want to be, and you've captured that exquisitely! I love them both! Thank you!!

Wow, good thoughtful comment. I was going to say that I liked the color one best, but you made me think again.