2015-07-26-08-X2.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2015
    Tony, nice work my friend! Good action shot. thumb.gif
    Any of these girls in your family?
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2015
    Tony, nice work my friend! Good action shot. thumb.gif
    Any of these girls in your family?

Yes, the goalkeeper is my wife's sister's granddaughter. It was my first view of a
    field hockey game and my first visit to the ESPN Wide World of Sports facility.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2015
    Nice moment but IMO it's overexposed, not sharp, and too loose. The frame of the goal is unimportant, I'd crop tighter if possible.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited August 13, 2015
    Nice moment but IMO it's overexposed, not sharp, and too loose. The frame of the goal is unimportant, I'd crop tighter if possible.

About the crop...I shot a whole series of the games, made prints of the best,
    placed the prints in an album, and sent it to the relative who was a player.

All shots were cropped to 6" x 4" for the album. When cropping to a specific
    ratio, some things are included that don't add to the image. If I crop the
    right-hand side, the top frame of the goal has to go. That, in my opinion,
    is not a good thing.

Dunno what "too loose" means.

Not sharp is a valid point. Not having been to a field hockey game, I was
    not as prepared to anticipate the action as I am with Cal Ripkin baseball.
    I was swinging the camera around to catch action rather than pre-focusing
    on where I thought the action would be. I think my focus point in this
    image was the middle player's knee! If that.

In sports, knowing the game and being able to anticipate shots usually
    results in the best shots.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2015
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    Dunno what "too loose" means.
    Loose as is "loose" vs "tight". The players are what is interesting. Having the entire frame in the image doesn't add interest to the image but detracts interest from what IS interesting - the players. Framing (or cropping) tighter allows the more interesting components (the players) to fill more of the frame. It would allow, for example, the viewer to see more of the facial expressions.
    edited August 14, 2015
    johng wrote: »
    Loose as is "loose" vs "tight". The players are what is interesting. Having the entire frame in the image doesn't add interest to the image but detracts interest from what IS interesting - the players. Framing (or cropping) tighter allows the more interesting components (the players) to fill more of the frame. It would allow, for example, the viewer to see more of the facial expressions.

I can, of course, do this. However, to a person like me who is not familiar with the
    game, cropping out the goal loses a sense of what's going on. But, here you are:

2015-07-26-08b-X2.jpg
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2015
    Tony - that's the concept. There is enough of the goal to add the proper context - i.e. anyone who knows the sport knows it's a goal. In this case, the resulting image isn't a great one because there is too much of a crop being done so not enough good detail in the result. That's why it's important to frame tightly to begin with. But, at least now you understand the point of the suggestion the other poster made.