Need to upgrade my bodies

2»

Comments

• milepostmilepost Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    As user "NikonsandVstroms" pointed out previously, the Sandisk card I recommended, and the one I purchased for myself, is twice the write speed of the Lexar you purchased.

This seems to be confirmed in this thread at Amazon

"Sporty says:
    The 95MB/s is the read speed only, the write speed is lower on these 633x cards. The write speed is what will affect the camera. Other cards such as the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card can reach over 90MB/s write speed. In some cameras it does not matter, but the D7100 and D750 can take advantage of the extra write speed [of the SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB UHS-I/U3 SDHC cards]."

I only have a single SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB UHS-I/U3 SDHC card for the moment, so I can't test for transfer speeds with multiple cards, either writing in parallel or consecutively. I am very happy using that card along with setting up the D7100 camera for lossy 12 bit NEF files. Buffer clearing is very acceptable, but, since I rarely shoot more than a burst of 3 images, buffer clearing is momentary.

As I understand it, the 12 bit lossy format is only really a problem if you need to "push process" a low ISO image to recover an underexposure. Even then I tested recovering to 3-stops and it works fine. If you try a 6-stop recovery, you will experience banding and posterization of the shadow and low tones, unless you use another RAW image processor, like RawTherapee, which has a "Line Noise Filter" which works rather well with most cameras which have similar banding issues.

http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/2013/04/nikon-d5200-and-d7100-band-aid.html

Look under the "BANDING THERAPY" section of the article.

Ohhh, okay, sorry, I got it now! Then that is the card I will buy. Thanks, guys! bowdown.gif
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2015
    FWIW, I have a D7100 that I use for youth sports when I need the extra reach with my 70-200mm. While the buffer does fill up quickly in a sequence using the full size Raw, I have adjusted my shoot timing to manage versus my previous D7000. Using the 12-bit raw or even the jpg setting increases the shots number in the buffer.
    I use the 95MB/s sandisk, and have never felt the camera was sluggish, but I have not used the D300.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2015
    Milepost just wanted to write a quick thank you for starting this thread. After writing up my post about the different memory cards I bought a Samsung 64 GB one and it has made for a noticeable difference VS my old Sandisk 80 mb/s, and the 95 mb/s you're getting are ever so slightly faster still.