Options

Birds of Florida Book

Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
edited November 23, 2005 in Wildlife
Hey gang,

Thought I should share this with you folks incase you are thinking of printing books for the holidays or whatever.

I had a book printed "Birds of Florida". It's a book of some of my bird photos. It's for gifts for the holiday season. I ordered 15 from "MyPublisher.com". Anyway..I'm having a terrible time with this company. They have screwed up things from the start and if you are interested in reading a more detailed gripe/rant..check here:

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?p=200600#post200600

Long story short. The first set of books had defective printing on the covers and the binding also was defective. The pages are falling out of all books.

I was told to reorder and it would not cost me a single dollar additionally. They sent out the reordered books and same problem. Cover printing is misaligned. Binding seems ok. They also doulble charged me on my credit card and didn't include the 50% off coupon the 2nd time. They say 3 weeks for a credit to my card. ..anywho. I won't use them again.

MM
Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Hey gang,

Thought I should share this with you folks incase you are thinking of printing books for the holidays or whatever.

I had a book printed "Birds of Florida". It's a book of some of my bird photos. It's for gifts for the holiday season. I ordered 15 from "MyPublisher.com". Anyway..I'm having a terrible time with this company. They have screwed up things from the start and if you are interested in reading a more detailed gripe/rant..check here:

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?p=200600#post200600

Long story short. The first set of books had defective printing on the covers and the binding also was defective. The pages are falling out of all books.

I was told to reorder and it would not cost me a single dollar additionally. They sent out the reordered books and same problem. Cover printing is misaligned. Binding seems ok. They also doulble charged me on my credit card and didn't include the 50% off coupon the 2nd time. They say 3 weeks for a credit to my card. ..anywho. I won't use them again.

MM
    I'm taking a guess that you would not recommend these guys to the rest of us.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    I'm taking a guess that you would not recommend these guys to the rest of us.
    I'd recommend them to Nikon camera owners. eek7.gif:D

Just kiddin'. It's too bad, Harry. The couple books that were printed correctly were very nice. Rather impressive in some ways. Definitely belonging on a bookshelf of a store.

Nice detailed printing...even on the smallest images. I also liked the paper aquality. Nice thickness/weight. Decent lustre/gloss. Looked high quality. There were just too many screw ups and I don't care for the way they have been dealing with me. So.. NO. i CAN'T recommend this place to anyone without many reservations.

I hope I can find someone else to print books in the future that are capable of a high quality print at a decent price and without all the games. This was a spur of the moment ...on a whim kind of thing. I usually give matted prints, calendars and t-Shirts for gifts. Thought I'd change things up. I would not have given them a try without the 50% off coupon. I think the books were worth the $10..but would never pay $20 for them..even though the photos were excellent. :Drolleyes1.gif

Off center cover printing. Should be centered in cutout window.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Binding didn't hold the pages in for even one complete look through. This happened to all books in the first shipment.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Detail of faulty binding (pages coming loose)
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Don't know what happened here? I didn't have text here. rolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    headscratch.gifne_nau.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Cross posted ... because ctrl-v is so easy.
    Okay here's the deal. My Mom works for a company called Viatech Publishing. One part of their business is printing just about anything. They use the DocuTech which apparently is awesome and they let you choose your paper, layout, binding, etc. etc. etc. Without a large order a hardbound book would be expensive but a "perfect bind" (apparently that is exactly what you'd get from a soft cover book from a bookstore) would not be nearly so much. She seemed to indicate that she would love to be able to sell a book for the $60 that mypublisher charges (meaning they'd be way cheaper than that).

Fortunately she's coming out to the house for the holidays. There are printers all over the world and one of them is right down the highway from us. So she and I are going to take a bit of a trip to the plant so I can grill them about their process and what they have to offer and get plenty of samples and all of that. I'll also take a bunch of pictures so everyone can know what's going on.

I'm also going to try to work up something to try to sell to Smugmug. I already talked to Andy about it. There are some reservations (understandable of course) but we'll see. The good thing is that if Smugmug say had x number of hardcovers set aside in the warehouse, the cost for a custom hardcover printed book would decrease dramatically. That and potentially (if everything were to work out - and next to nothing has been said to Smugmug about this as of yet so we're still WAY early in the game - they may not want to do this at all bear in mind) one could order and sell published photo books right from their site just like with photos. Even if that doesn't happen, I'll let everyone know when I verify that what Viatech has to offer (both customer service wise and product wise) is worth your hard earned cash.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Sounds promising, Mike. Good luck.

Just an update on MyPUblisher and the book situation. Contacted them last week in regards to the follow up reorder being screwed up. Customer service rep said due to the situation...that it would need to be forwarded to a supervisor. They said they would promptly get back to me. Well..here it is heading into Thanksgiving and no word from MyPublisher.com (supervisor). Looks like I wont be hearing back from them until Monday at the earliest...if at all. What an ordeal this has turned into. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com