How many of you use Private Sharing to share client galleries?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 9, 2015 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I just used this feature for the first time. To be honest, I don't even know how long Smug has offered it. It wasn't until after sending the invite to my client that I realized it asks them to create a guest account. Not sure how I feel about this so I'm now wondering how many other Pros are using it and how have your clients received the notion of having to create an account. Does it bother them?

Very curious.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2015
    Private sharing is a pretty new, and optional feature that was added to our existing privacy options. If you don't wish to require clients to register for a free guest account, you can always use one of the other privacy options by unlisting and / or password protecting. For details on the different options available, you can check out this page.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2015
    ... you can always use one of the other privacy options by unlisting and / or password protecting. For details on the different options available, you can check out this page.
    ^ this is what I do.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 7, 2015
    I recently started using share-groups to share multiple unlisted galleries with prospective clients using a single URL. Really nice feature.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2015
    Joel....

Has anyone complained about having to register for a guest account?

I've always used password protected galleries to share proofs and final images with clients. I like the idea of sending them this invite instead but not if it's gonna turn them off. I guess I will have to try it with a few clients and ask them for feedback on their experience.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2015
    you can always use one of the other privacy options by unlisting and / or password protecting.

We also use unlisted and / or password protected for all our clients.
    Steve

Website
  • The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2015
    I use unlisted galleries and they work well enough for me.
    If the Private Sharing required a guest to create a log-in, I'd probably pass. I understand it might be required to have features specific to the client but I'd rather an unlisted URL so that it can be shared with my clients' friends/family if they wanted, without the hassle of dealing with logins and such.
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
    edited September 9, 2015
    Joel....

Has anyone complained about having to register for a guest account?

I've always used password protected galleries to share proofs and final images with clients. I like the idea of sending them this invite instead but not if it's gonna turn them off. I guess I will have to try it with a few clients and ask them for feedback on their experience.
    Alex, neither unlisted galleries nor sharegroups require a guest account. I guess I don't understand what mechanism you are trying to use.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited September 9, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Alex, neither unlisted galleries nor sharegroups require a guest account. I guess I don't understand what mechanism you are trying to use.
    I think he's trying to use this - New Private Sharing: Share with Only the People You Choose.

--- Denise
    edited September 9, 2015
    I think he's trying to use this - New Private Sharing: Share with Only the People You Choose.

--- Denise
    Thanks, Denise. That's an interesting feature, although not useful for my purpose. I like my clients to have the ability to pass the private link to their photos off to friends and family to peruse and order prints.