Options

Offer default go-to product types when clicking "Buy" buttons

The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited September 11, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
One of the things I do not like about the shopping cart functions is that it goes straight to one of the products (4"x6" print in my case) without displaying much else.
The customer needs to select "Change Product" and only then select from the list of other products. Since I market only digital downloads (with the rare print order) I'd like it to go straight to Single Digital Download product type since that is 99% of what my customers order.

The Suggestion: I'd like for the Price List to have a default product type, so that when the customers click the "Buy" button it goes straight to that type as the default.

Without this function, I am tempted to remove all of my print products from my price list so that I can accomplish this as-is... but this seems way backwards. And a small few of my customers do order prints so I really do not want to do that.

To be honest, I actually like the Zenfolio shopping cart better, where there is just a list on the side and the customer pics from the list. The Smugmug style of automatically selecting one product and requiring the customer to change it ... is a really poor way to do it... in my opinion.
____Motoception Photography____
www.motoception.com

Comments

• Options
    owilliamsowilliams Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2015
    Hi Blake,

I've had a look at your site and I see that you use the "Collage Landscape" gallery style. I also see that you have removed the buy button from the individual images leaving only the one "Buy Photos" button at the top. Because of this, the only option for your customers is to select "Buy" > "Photos from this Gallery" which is the bulk add to cart tool. With that option, it will default to the smaller print sizes as you mentioned.

To sort this out, your customers can click on one image to open it up in the lightbox. In the lighbox, there will be a "Buy" button that will allow them to select from the single-image add to cart tool which I think that you will be pleased with. give it a try for yourself here:

http://www.motoception.com/Photography/January-2015-Alaska/i-gkmJBp8/A

Alternatively, you could enable the buy button to show up in the collage landscape style. This is done from within the customizer. From within the gallery, click "Customize" > "Content and Design" to enter the customizer. From there, select "All Galleries" from the bar on the right and then click the "Wrench" icon for the "Gallery" content block. With that, you can click on the "Collage Landscape" gallery style and edit the "Info Style" option to "Under". save and publish the changes and you'll be all set to see the buy button for each of the individual images.

A third option might be to select a different gallery style that will work better for your needs.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1214935

Let us know if you need anything else going forward!

-Oliver
    SmugMug Support
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2015
    I'm a bit confused now.
    I use the Smugmug (Default) for all of my Motoception related galleries.
    And I had thought for all my galleries within "Miscellaneous" folder as well.

I don't think I've removed any buy buttons (or really anything) manually about the galleries.
    Is this not how Smugmug has formatted the page with the Gallery Settings they have?
    I've never customized anything so it's always been how Smugmug has formatted things.

Maybe I need to review the customization. I followed your advice, but I do not see anything like that for the Smugmug gallery style.

Or can the Bulk Add To Cart Tool be setup similar to like when you click "This photo" where it gives the option of print or download in a little more direct fashion? Instead of going direct to one particular product type? I guess my original idea was for the Bulk tool and not when you click on This Photo. When I was test driving my cart tools I guess it was the Bulk tool I had clicked on.
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2015
    Looking at the link Oliver included, the gallery is set to collage landscape style. You could change the gallery style for a gallery via the customize > gallery style menu.

In the linked gallery, I do see 3 options for visitors to buy prints. The first is via the "buy photos" button at the upper right. That'll bring up the bulk buy screen. The bulk screen always defaults to the first product available and to change the product, the visitor would use the change button. That's the way the bulk buy screen currently works, and not something you can change.

The second option to buy shows up when holding your mouse over a photo tile. In the bottom right of the tile, you'll see the little add to cart button that brings up the individual add to cart dialog.
    The same dialog also comes up if you click on a photo tile to view it in lightbox first and then click on buy > this photo.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2015
    Looking at the link Oliver included, the gallery is set to collage landscape style. You could change the gallery style for a gallery via the customize > gallery style menu.

I'm trying to be patient. :)
    But please read the second sentence in the post directly above yours :)

What I've already said is I use Smugmug gallery style. For everything.
    Either Oliver changed my gallery style to show it as an example or somehow he found a random gallery that is not like all others.

And like I've already said, my original post is in regards to the Bulk tool.
    I'd like it if either (1) I can identify a default type to go straight to a particular product type when either clicking Individual Buy or Multiple Buy/Bulk, or (2) the bulk tool shows the same options the Individual Buy button does... Which is the "Print" and "Digital". Currently the Bulk tool goes straight to a particular product type which I find silly.
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2015
    I saw that you mentioned using SmugMug style. However, since the only direct link in this thread was to the gallery Oliver linked to, I decided to use that as a point of reference. I doubt Oliver made any changes to gallery style. We generally don't make changes and in case we do, we always let you know.

Regardless of the gallery style used, it's not possible for you to customize the way the individual buy / bulk buy features work. If you'd like to suggest a change to these features, you could check out the SmugMug feedback page. There, you can vote and comment on existing suggestions, or if you don't find what you're looking for, create your own. The suggestions made help our product management team when working on new features or changes existing features.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2015
    Hi Sebastian,

The linked gallery must have accidentally been set to landscape. I am typically using Smugmug style for everything. (And the linked gallery is way old and in a Misc folder... So that is why I was confused on why it was an example here).
    If you get a minute and need to look, feel free to check my SM page in my sig.
    The Motoception Photography folder is the meat of all of my sales, these are all SM gallery style.

I have submitted a request on the Feedback page, actually a little while ago. I wanted to also post up on here in case there was any workaround or feedback from the non-SM staff, or if the suggestion was a bad one :) I've never used the feedback page so I have no experience with it or what my expectations are.

I probably should edit my submission anyways to be a little more clear, not sure if that is possible. Since I'm also okay if the bulk tool operated like the individual buy button, as an alternative to selecting a default product type. I just don't like it going straight to the Prints type,, the individual buy is much more clear when selecting Digital than the Bulk tool is.
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2015
    Hi,
    Thanks for the clarification and for already submitting your suggestion to the feedback page. I'm not actually sure if you can edit suggestions on the feedback page. If that's not possible, you could always add a comment with additional details.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero