Options

Grid layout in MULTIPLE PHOTOs should allow original aspect ratio

phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
edited September 15, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Currently grid layout in multiple photos block does not allow original aspect ratio. Thus, when switch to grid you always get either wrongly cropped thumbs when selecting 1:1 (manually defined cropped thumbnails are not used) or you get cropped images when you select 3:2 and portrait photos get cut off on top/bottom of the picture.

Please add Original in Photo Aspect Ratio to GRID in multiple photos block.

Comments

• Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2015
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    Currently grid layout in multiple photos block does not allow original aspect ratio. Thus, when switch to grid you always get either wrongly cropped thumbs when selecting 1:1 (manually defined cropped thumbnails are not used) or you get cropped images when you select 3:2 and portrait photos get cut off on top/bottom of the picture.

Please add Original in Photo Aspect Ratio to GRID in multiple photos block.

Totally agree!

I'm being forced into the New SmugMug in about a month and this was one of the very first deficiencies I found.

Sad that this thread is over two years old and nothing has has been done, but that seems all to common for "NewSmug".

Congratulations guys, you've finally forced square thumbs on me.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyesrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    mbellot wrote: »
    ...you've finally forced square thumbs on me.
    Have you considered trying either collage landscape or collage portrait instead of grid in a multiple photos block? That will give you the original aspect ratio.

--- Denise
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    Have you considered trying either collage landscape or collage portrait instead of grid in a multiple photos block? That will give you the original aspect ratio.

--- Denise

The collage options retain aspect ratio (if set), but the spacing gets all messed up if you have mixed portrait and landscape photos.

I want original aspect for everything. Folders, galleries, thumbs... Everything. All (ok, 99.9%) of my photos are 3:2 or 2:3 aspect (like the OP), so the 1:1 cropping destroys most images.

Old Smug (begrudgingly) allowed that as long as I was vigilant about switching from square thumbs to original every time a created a new gallery (their prejudice was apparent when they made square the default, even though it was the new option).

Grid with original aspect is how old Smug used to work/look, why (after more than two years) is New Smug incapable of doing the same?
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 15, 2015
    mbellot wrote: »
    Grid with original aspect is how old Smug used to work/look, why (after more than two years) is New Smug incapable of doing the same?

This was a decision by our design team as part of our effort to make your photos look their best on SmugMug. While I agree that poorly cropped square images also fall into the category of 'not-their-best' we felt it was better than an odd mixture of portrait/landscape photos in a grid. In the future we'll be doing things to make the square crops look much much better.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations