"Make a Copy" & "Move" Madness

guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited September 18, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
So unless I am missing something, (If am am I will humbly apologize for the madness claim)

I can only make a copy of an image from within the gallery not from the organize screen. BUT I can only move an image from the organize screen not from within the gallery.

Isn't this just a bit nuts? Why would you want to make a copy if you were not going to move it to a different place yet to do so requires going through two completely different operations on different pages!!!

Please add the "make a copy" option to the organize page with all the other tools.

Thanks.

Comments

• bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback - our product team will take a look, and hopefully we can incorporate the suggestion going forward :-)
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    bobbyhero wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback - our product team will take a look, and hopefully we can incorporate the suggestion going forward :-)

Come on. A simple copy to another gallery feature has been requested for years and it's always blown off by smugmug. Don't give hope for something smugmug clearly refuses to do. At least come back and update us on the honest response you get from the product team. I'm guessing they will say "that's what smart galleries and collections are for." Because that's the BS response we have been getting for years.

Dave
  • smlsml Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2014
    Kind of a related issue...??
    It would be nice if one could copy more than one photo at a time. Would help when trying to move blocks of images from one gallery to another.
  • crj330crj330 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2014
    following
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2014
    Any updates on this? Trying to update the home page slide show gallery on my site, and it's frustrating to copy and move images like this...
  • SynappedSynapped Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 29, 2014
    I also would love to have this feature brought back. IN the old SM I could move an image to another gallery with a drop-down from the image. Now I have to click into Organize to do it. I miss that a LOT 'cuz I use it a LOT!
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2015
    I just found this thread, and I'm adding my big +1.

I wanted to create a full-screen slideshow, and wanted to make copies of photos in other galleries and move those copies into an unlisted gallery that will become the source for my slideshow.

I discovered Smugmug hasn't given us any easy, intuitive way to do this without multiple steps.

The organizer needs to include the "make a copy" function so that a copy can be generated there and immediately moved to a different gallery.

Unfortunately, as it stands now I think my most efficient method to do this is to download the photos I want to move and then re-upload them to my new gallery. Icck.

If I'm missing something...someone please let me know.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited August 31, 2015
    pbandj wrote: »
    Unfortunately, as it stands now I think my most efficient method to do this is to download the photos I want to move and then re-upload them to my new gallery. Icck.

That sounds like a good plan. I concur that this isn't ideal and we'll discuss with the Product Team on possible solution. As usual, I cannot comment on when or if we'll be able to improve this but I did wanted to voice my agreement on the topic!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    pbandj wrote: »
    I just found this thread, and I'm adding my big +1.

I wanted to create a full-screen slideshow, and wanted to make copies of photos in other galleries and move those copies into an unlisted gallery that will become the source for my slideshow.

I discovered Smugmug hasn't given us any easy, intuitive way to do this without multiple steps.

The organizer needs to include the "make a copy" function so that a copy can be generated there and immediately moved to a different gallery.

Couldn't you just make a smart gallery? Or use keywords to make your slideshow?
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    J Allen wrote: »
    Couldn't you just make a smart gallery? Or use keywords to make your slideshow?

Full screen slideshows use the largest display size allowed for the source gallery. If you limit the size to X-Large or even X2-Large, they will display really grainy at full screen. You'll really want to source a slideshow from a gallery that allows at least X3 or originals. In my case I also choose not to include watermarks on my full screen background slideshow. So these require uploading duplicate images to a new gallery and can't be done with a smart or keyword gallery.

Dave
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited September 17, 2015
    So I am in the process of moving to the new SM and I just discovered this new issue. The Organizer lets you move or collect, but not copy. I have only a vague understanding of SM collecting, but IIRC, if a gallery allows me to collect, everybody in the world can also collect. Is that (still) true? I'm a little wary of gotchas in virtual anythings--is there some documentation that describes in detail how it all works?

FWIW, I concur that the Organizer needs to have a bulk copy and move function. The current method is simply madness.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    Richard wrote: »
    ...I have only a vague understanding of SM collecting, but IIRC, if a gallery allows me to collect, everybody in the world can also collect. Is that (still) true? I'm a little wary of gotchas in virtual anythings--is there some documentation that describes in detail how it all works?
    There is a setting that disables collecting by smugmug site owners other than you.

Help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93310 shows:
    You can always collect your own photos, regardless of your gallery settings.
    To allow others to collect from you, ALL of the following must be true:

You have not disabled Allow Collecting in your Account Settings' Privacy section.
    The gallery has external linking turned on. (More on Photo Protection settings.)
    It took me a minute to find the allow collecting option since I was looking in gallery settings and the setting is actually in account settings.

--- Denise
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    "You have not disabled Allow Collecting in your Account Settings' Privacy section.
    The gallery has external linking turned on. (More on Photo Protection settings.)"

Looks like they have created a bad situation, if you allow collecting you can not disable it on specific
    galleries any more. They have removed "External linking" settings from gallery settings.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    OK, so I like the fact that I can always collect even when others can't--I'm not very sociable, I guess. Since I don't allow others to use it, it doesn't matter to me that it's a global setting, but I bet some people will be upset to find that it's no longer gallery specific. Bulk collecting and moving certainly beats one-by-one copying in legacy, though I'm still wary of unintended consequences. We'll see.

I dislike removing the gallery-specific option of disallowing external embedding. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I dislike it. I think it's a totally different question than visibility on my site and searching.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    Add me to the copy image and move it to another gallery in the organizer bandwagon. I would love this feature. The workarounds are slow and awkward enough to keep me from doing it almost altogether.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 18, 2015
    Bulk collecting and moving certainly beats one-by-one copying in legacy, though I'm still wary of unintended consequences.
    I certainly liked the Old SM way of allowing you to remember the collect setting, and then another single click would collect additional photos. However, I've gotten around this by doing my Collecting from within the Organizer. I can select multiple photos, drag it into the other gallery, and then choose "Collect" instead of "move". Let us know if that doesn't accomplish what you're trying to do.
    I dislike removing the gallery-specific option of disallowing external embedding. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I dislike it. I think it's a totally different question than visibility on my site and searching.
    The problem with External Embedding, and the reason why we ultimately removed it, was because it's confusing for most users and for the most part, flat out doesn't work with the way the internet works. The short version of this explanation is: once it's on the internet, it's on the internet, especially if Google or another search engine crawls it.
    FWIW, I concur that the Organizer needs to have a bulk copy and move function. The current method is simply madness.
    We considered this, however, this has huge implications for storage cost as it would become very easy to duplicate large amounts of photos. We've always offered unlimited storage and we want to always have this be a part of SmugMug; in the interest of keeping the subscription price of SmugMug as low as we can, the ability to bulk copy was not added. A "copy" can be accomplished by uploading the photo a second time.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited September 18, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    I certainly liked the Old SM way of allowing you to remember the collect setting, and then another single click would collect additional photos. However, I've gotten around this by doing my Collecting from within the Organizer. I can select multiple photos, drag it into the other gallery, and then choose "Collect" instead of "move". Let us know if that doesn't accomplish what you're trying to do.
    I'll probably get used to it--I didn't use collect before now because I didn't want others collecting my pics, but it looks like that has been addressed. I can see that once my site is up and running, I'll be spending most of my time in the Organizer.
    The problem with External Embedding, and the reason why we ultimately removed it, was because it's confusing for most users and for the most part, flat out doesn't work with the way the internet works.
    If you mean that denying external links does not altogether prevent unauthorized use by third parties, that is certainly true. At bottom, once it's out there, it's out there. However, like right-click protection, it does make life a little more difficult for casual copycats. And it did work some--I wish I had a dollar for every time I had to tell a n00b that their pics weren't showing on Dgrin because they didn't have external links enabled in their gallery lol3.gif. I suppose that only supports your claim that it was confusing to many, but it certainly wasn't confusing to me and many others.
    A "copy" can be accomplished by uploading the photo a second time.
    Right, which is a serious disincentive to using copies mwink.gif. I suppose virtual copies will work most of the time for me. One problem area that comes to mind is that I have several private galleries specifically for printing in which I wanted different sharpening and color correction parameters from their display in the normal galleries. I also remember enabling originals for friends to download and print themselves. With collected pics, one size has to fit all. But thinking about it, these were rare cases, and I suppose it doesn't really matter much if I have to do something a little different in the future. Making copies in legacy was a PITA for more than a single pic, so perhaps a year from now I'll consider the new version an improvement. ne_nau.gif