Options

Cloning gallery pages?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
edited September 18, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
I'm wondering if there's a way to create a gallery page template--not just the Quick Settings, but all the widgets, layout, CSS, the whole nine yards. It would speed development if one could create a clone, then edit the URL and text widgets as needed.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited September 18, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there's a way to create a gallery page template--not just the Quick Settings, but all the widgets, layout, CSS, the whole nine yards. It would speed development if one could create a clone, then edit the URL and text widgets as needed.
    You're asking about pages, not galleries, right?

Unfortunately there isn't a way to create a template although it has been requested.

In the feature request forum :: All Pages Template Level
    On the smugmug feedback page :: http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4523590-add-ability-to-copy-pages-custom-templates

--- Denise
  • Options
    Yeah, a I meant a page containing a gallery, plus a few other odds and ends.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    Richard wrote: »
    Yeah, a I meant a page containing a gallery, plus a few other odds and ends.
    Do you want the odds and ends on every gallery? If you do I suppose you can add them to the header or footer area. If not on every gallery you could add them and use CSS to hide or show.

I suspect that Allen may have done something like this - I know he alters headers, not sure about the other pieces.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    The only thing I've done site-wide is a banner/logo in the header. I place different banners on mostly top level folders
    to flow down to its galleries/sub-folders. Very repetitive CSS but keeping things straight as I go was a little confusing.
    Positioning for different browsers was the biggest hurdle. Requiring all kinds of different top/bottom margins. Somehow
    when hiding (display:none) all but one banner there's something left from hidden banners that screws up positioning.

You can see all my banners so far here with example of the CSS below.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Banners/n-xfXD7
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Well, at this point I'm not sure what I mean exactly. But for example, one of the things I'm trying to develop for my new site is a widget that will let the user select between all color and all B&W pics. In its current state, I'm using a text box with an embedded link to toggle between two galleries. It would be nice if that box were properly sized and placed automatically and all I had to do to create a new gallery of this type was fill in the two URLs. Since not all galleries need this, I don't think it would work as a header. I'm guessing that as I get further along into developing my site there will be other examples.
  • Options
    You will have to make each of these galleries custom, "Just This Gallery" and add the text box
    on each. Have the info in notepad so you can quickly paste it in each box.
  • Options
    Thanks, Allen. I had guessed that was the only option for now.
  • Options
    I had to make every folder and sub-folder in my Birds category custom in order to add an HTML box/widget to each.
    Added lots of navigation in these boxes and gallery descriptions.
    Start here and drill down to a gallery. For galleries I used the gallery description so galleries are not custom.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds