Options

Anybody know whether this is possible in SM?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
edited September 18, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Take a look at The New Yorker's Web site: http://www.newyorker.com/

It opens with a title on top and a menu below that. The coolness happens when you scroll--the title scrolls off the top and the menu scrolls to the top but then stays there as the rest of the page scrolls. So can the SM menu scroll first then stay pinned?

Edit: I can't seem to find a way to put something above the (horizontal) menu. What am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2015
    While on your Homepage, in Layout, scroll down to the bottom to "Pinning", and Pin the header.
    I don't have this turned on, but I tried it and it worked.
    However my header has transparency, so when I scrolled the navbar mixed with home page content.
    Also the pinning wasn't an option on All folders and All galleries - I don't understand why not, wouldn't one want the pinning behavior to be consistent for the site?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    I haven't tried a header at all yet, but will play around with it tomorrow. The menu was originally pinned, but since the background was transparent, I didn't like the way it looked after scrolling and unpinned it. I'm guessing there's a CSS fix for the transparency, but I'm a n00b with CSS and my eyes glaze over when I try to use the browser's element inspector. I'm hoping I'll come up to speed on it eventually. In any event, I don't want a pinned header, but one that scrolls up and leaves the menu alone pinned at the top, as in the New Yorker site.
  • Options
    Your menu would go in the header, and then when you pin the header, the scrolling will work that way. Although you'll need css to insure there isn't transparency... and again I don't know how or what's needed to make the header work the same on all folders and galleries as well as the home page.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Your menu would go in the header, and then when you pin the header, the scrolling will work that way. Although you'll need css to insure there isn't transparency... and again I don't know how or what's needed to make the header work the same on all folders and galleries as well as the home page.
    The pinning of the header is for all pages.

--- Denise
  • Options
    The pinning of the header is for all pages.

--- Denise

Thanks, Denise. That behavior did not occur for me when I turned on pinning for the header. I suspect it's because I have css blocks in All Folders and All Galleries? That pulled them apart from the pinning code?
  • Options
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Thanks, Denise. That behavior did not occur for me when I turned on pinning for the header. I suspect it's because I have css blocks in All Folders and All Galleries? That pulled them apart from the pinning code?
    I guess I don't understand what you are asking. If the header is pinned it should always stick to the top of the browser window when you are scrolling. Are you using a header on all pages on your site? It doesn't appear that you are. On the pages I've looked at it looks like you have placed a breadcrumb followed by a menu box. Or is that your header?

It also appears that you have made your homepage different from the other pages.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Richard wrote: »
    ...I don't want a pinned header, but one that scrolls up and leaves the menu alone pinned at the top, as in the New Yorker site.
    That looked pretty cool. If it is doable I expect it will need some code. Hopefully Aaron (leftquark) will see this thread.

--- Denise
  • Options
    I guess I don't understand what you are asking. If the header is pinned it should always stick to the top of the browser window when you are scrolling. Are you using a header on all pages on your site? It doesn't appear that you are. On the pages I've looked at it looks like you have placed a breadcrumb followed by a menu box. Or is that your header?

It also appears that you have made your homepage different from the other pages.

--- Denise

Yes, homepage different from the others.
    Yes, different header on "entire site".
    I tried pinning the header via the Layout field. It pinned the header (my navbar) but on the home page only.

I don't want any pinning at all, I was just pointing out to the OP that pinning, for me, worked only on the home page. I'm unclear why pinning didn't work in folders or galleries. If someone wants pinning - it seems certain rules have to be followed (which I'm not doing).