Options

Nikon D7000 or D7100

kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited September 24, 2015 in Cameras
Hello!!! I don't upgrade my gear very often and when I do I usually go with something a little older. My maim camera I have nos is a D200. I am looking to keep it but have it as a backup or second and get a newer main camera. I shoot about everything because I use them for personal use as well, and I go to sporting events, football, nascar, indy car, but I also love taking landscape photos. But, I get paid mainly for potraits and weddings. Anyway, now that prices have dropped on the d7000 and d7100, I am wondering if the difference is big between the two and worth the price difference. In the past I have rented the d7000 and loved it. I am thinking msybe get the d7000 and put the money saved to a new lens. I shoot almost always in raw. Thanks for anything you can give me!
:bow

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
    edited September 23, 2015
    I decided upon the D7100 model for the improved AF system and more current image processor, as well as an improved video capability. I also think that the D7100 is slightly better at fleshtone rendition at default settings.

With a factory refurbished copy of the D7100 at $620USD, that's basically the price of an entry level body while providing an advance enthusiast level experience.

If, however, the small image buffer of the D7100 is a problem, the D7000 has the same size shot buffer but the smaller file sizes of the D7000 make the shot buffer seem 50 percent larger. Using a single SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB UHS-I/U3 SDHC card and setting image capture to 12 bit lossy RAW gives me enough speed that I can do short 2-3 frame bursts and the shot buffer clears quickly enough that the shot buffer size has not been a serious problem in the D7100.

Read this recent thread for more information about the D7100:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=254412
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I decided upon the D7100 model for the improved AF system and more current image processor, as well as an improved video capability. I also think that the D7100 is slightly better at fleshtone rendition at default settings.

With a factory refurbished copy of the D7100 at $620USD, that's basically the price of an entry level body while providing an advance enthusiast level experience.

If, however, the small image buffer of the D7100 is a problem, the D7000 has the same size shot buffer but the smaller file sizes of the D7000 make the shot buffer seem 50 percent larger. Using a single SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB UHS-I/U3 SDHC card and setting image capture to 12 bit lossy RAW gives me enough speed that I can do short 2-3 frame bursts and the shot buffer clears quickly enough that the shot buffer size has not been a serious problem in the D7100.

Read this recent thread for more information about the D7100:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=254412

And you can do a bit more than 2-3 frames, that's being conservative...though a good practice. I don't know exactly how many I get but my set up is 12 bit lossless and I only really hit the buffer in rare circumstances. This all comes down to your subject matter/style of shooting but personally even if it was a bit more of a hit the added AF area makes it worth it to me.

Right now the price difference between the 2 models is 150 bucks, I'd get the D7100. I've been using mine as my primary camera for work for 2 years now and it's still going strong. It's an amazing camera that can shoot practically anything that you throw at it.

Edit: For 12 bit lossless it looks like the D7000 gets ~11 shots, the D7100 ~7 shots before the buffers fills.