Options

customizing gps photo location panel

waldhaus1waldhaus1 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited September 24, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
I made the gps based photo location panel part of my home page. I don't remember exactly how I did this as it has been a couple of years - it may be part of the discovery customization.
I would like to be able to include more images for display or alternately rather than displaying the number of images at various geographic locations simply flag locations that have photos and perhaps use a variable radius to simplify presentation.
Can the map page with dots indicating photo location be customized?
Waldhaus

Comments

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2015
    waldhaus1 wrote: »
    I made the gps based photo location panel part of my home page. I don't remember exactly how I did this as it has been a couple of years - it may be part of the discovery customization.
    I would like to be able to include more images for display or alternately rather than displaying the number of images at various geographic locations simply flag locations that have photos and perhaps use a variable radius to simplify presentation.
    Can the map page with dots indicating photo location be customized?

Yes, it can be customized.

Here's some CSS to play with:
    .sm-user-ui .marker-cluster-small:before,.marker-cluster-medium:before,.marker-cluster-large:before {
    content: '\E312';
    font-family: 'SmugMug Icon Font Regular';
    font-size: 50px;
    width: 24px;
    visibility: initial;
    position: relative;
    top: -35px;
    }

.sm-user-ui .marker-cluster {
    visibility: collapse;
    }

In my case I have a separate page with a map content block. That CSS is in a CSS content block on the same page. I haven't played around with putting this in the entire site CSS to see if it works on all maps, but I don't see why it wouldn't. It's not perfect and might need some more tweaking, but it seems to do what you want. I have a few other CSS tweaks on my map page, so mine might look a little different than yours.

Before:
    i-B5zMSsr-X3.png

After:
    i-rGz935m-X3.png

Now getting a map to show every image that has a location embedded wasn't easy because of smugmug bugs. I don't know if they ever fixed the bugs, but I did it with two smart galleries.

The first uses the following smart gallery settings:
    i-vDTfHsz.png

Then the second uses these settings:
    i-9JHgpPP.png

Notice that the first gallery allows images from unlisted/password protected galleries and the second does not. I did that because limiting the first gallery to public images only didn't work due to a bug.

Finally, the map content block uses these settings:
    i-4PJNtCq.png

Dave
  • Options
    waldhaus1waldhaus1 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2015
    Thanks Dave.
    That is very helpful. It will take some study on my part to implement, but it points there way.
    Waldhaus