color shift between lenses

milepostmilepost Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited September 25, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
I've noticed a color shift between my new Nikon 85mm f/1.8 (right) and my older Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 lens (left). The 85mm has more of a reddish cast. I'm shooting with identical cameras set to the same white balance. How do I match the color between my lenses? Is there a way to do it in-camera? What about correcting the photos I've already shot, is there an easy solution?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited September 16, 2015
    Do you have any filters on the lenses?

As far as color correction in post-processing, there are lots of opportunities for color correction and minor color tweaking. What software do you have available for image processing and did you shoot to Nikon RAW files? (NEF)

Are you open to a new software purchase?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • milepostmilepost Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2015
    No filters. I use Camera Raw for image processing. I shoot Nikon RAW. When I shoot with my 70-200mm and 17-55mm there isn't a color difference. Why is my 85mm different?

I plan on starting to use Lightroom for post but I haven't started yet.

I'm open to a new software purchase.
    edited September 17, 2015
    I don't own Lightroom so I hope that another user chimes in. I do understand that Lightroom has a capability to build a "profile" for camera/lens combinations, so you can build a custom "preset" to apply to all shots with a particular lens.

According to this Adobe page: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS939594D8-4279-41b4-B8E9-B06BC919EC7C.html

"You can adjust how Lightroom interprets the color from your camera by using the controls in the Camera Calibration panel and saving the changes as a preset."

Information on "my" process later.
    ziggy53
    edited September 17, 2015
    Well for the time being I'm using Camera Raw. By the time I start using Lightroom I'm hoping I will have found a solution in-camera so that I won't have to worry about it in post. I see that I can tweak the white balance in the camera menu. Should I try my fix there?
    edited September 18, 2015
    milepost wrote: »
    Well for the time being I'm using Camera Raw. By the time I start using Lightroom I'm hoping I will have found a solution in-camera so that I won't have to worry about it in post. I see that I can tweak the white balance in the camera menu. Should I try my fix there?

Yes, you could try that to see if it meets your color control expectations.
    ziggy53
    edited September 18, 2015
    My workflow for critical color portraiture uses Photoshop and PictoColor iCorrect Portrait plugin. iCorrect Portrait has one-click black and white correction, plus a wonderful one-click fleshtone correction, which generally also corrects tinting issues with other colors, but it also has a "memory color" capability to store specific color samples allowing you to correct those tones as well (with an additional couple of mouse clicks.)
    ziggy53
    edited September 25, 2015
    Thanks Ziggy, I'll look into PictoColor!