Options

Is simething amiss with the map function?

rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited September 27, 2015 in Bug Reporting
Over the past few weeks I've been adding geo information to photos in some galleries. I checked that the coordinates were added and that they displayed as having geo information. They were also picked up and displayed on a map of the galleries. Going back today I noticed that most of these photos no longer have coordinate information and they no longer display on the map of the galleries. This seems to be limited to info added about two weeks ago.

I also noticed that today the search function on the add location is not working. Entering a large city like Toronto or London gets a blank whereas previously several locations would have been suggested.

Anyone else having problems?

Thanks
Paul

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 16, 2015
    Any chance you could send me a link to a few photos that you think should have Geo data?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    https://paultavares.smugmug.com/Travel/Americas/13A/EL1/i-vJFPfwZ This gallery is one of the ones where I lost geo info that I added. Almost all of the photos had geo info added. The only photos in this gallery with geo info now had the info added quite some time ago.

This gallery was uploaded a few years ago and I did not include geo information because at that time the maps were limited to 200 points maximum With the change to 1000 points maximum I decided to provide a map for the collection of galleries and add geo information to most of the photos. The galleries were originally old SmugMug so I also took the opportunity to add a title as previously there were only captions. I also reprocessed the photos as my RAW developer now has better noise, single shot HDR, dodging and burning.

My normal routine was to rename the RAW file on my computer and reprocess it. I would then go to the file in SmugMug, make the changes to the title, caption, and keywords. I would save these changes and then go to Location Data tab and add the green pin at the proper location. Usually with a search to get close and then a manual move. I would then save this and exit. I then used the replace file option to replace the file. After the replacement upload was done I checked that the title and caption changes were done and the geo info displayed the location. The location also displayed on the large map in the home folder of the collection.

This procedure worked fine on previous galleries. It was only a few days ago that I noticed that the geo info from some of the images is no longer there. If it helps it seems to be date related. All of the updates I did on August 30 and 31 are missing. I don't know about other dates but added geo using the same procedure is still there from much earlier dates and from earlier this week.

I also noticed that the search location box in the Add Location Data no longer works.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    Hmm.... do you have any examples where you didn't replace the photo afterwards? I just tried testing it and it appears the location data is still all in there. For example, I uploaded a photo without GPS, went into the editor and added it in. Then replaced the photo. The map data is still there. I'll definitely keep digging but it's going to be hard unless I can repeat it :(
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    leftquark wrote: »
    Hmm.... do you have any examples where you didn't replace the photo afterwards? I just tried testing it and it appears the location data is still all in there. For example, I uploaded a photo without GPS, went into the editor and added it in. Then replaced the photo. The map data is still there. I'll definitely keep digging but it's going to be hard unless I can repeat it :(
    The problem seems to be transitory. As I mentioned previously photos done in the last week and those done some time ago all worked fine and the geo data was saved and is still there.

I replaced the photos and added the geo data on August 31 in this gallery https://paultavares.smugmug.com/Travel/Americas/13A/ELC/ . This gallery also lost the geo info. But I went back in yesterday and re-entered the data. The geo data is still there.

I should also have mentioned that I have never had any problems with photos uploaded with the geo info embedded in the EXIF.
  • Options
    leftquark wrote: »

One thing I've noticed with the replace, unless the file changes it does not get replaced. I sometimes use the replace to change the filename in Smugmug as there is no other way to change the name of a file in Smugmug. At the same time I don't want the photo to appear as a recent or new image or lose any comments which would happen with a delete the Smugmug file and upload the new filename file. The replace does that nicely but if the only thing changed is the filename the file is not replaced and the new filename file is not uploaded. So I make a minor change to the file, exposure or saturation, to ensure that the new filename file gets uploaded and the file in Smugmug gets the new name.
  • Options
    snakeey11snakeey11 Registered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 26, 2015
    With respect to the search functionality, there was an issue, and as of this afternoon it should be fixed.

-Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2015
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    With respect to the search functionality, there was an issue, and as of this afternoon it should be fixed.

-Mike
    Thanks for that. It's working again