Mini Challenge #214 - Water Reflections

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited October 12, 2015 in The Dgrin Challenges
I do realize that "reflections" has been a subject of a mini challenge in the past but I want to narrow it down a bit. I love photographs with water reflections of any kind. There's something magical for me when light allows images to be duplicated in patterns that can be fantasy like. It doesn't have to be a large expansive reflection for me. Just a simple pattern reflected in a puddle is enough to capture my attention. Any water reflection will do. So this is my challenge to you. Show me how you have captured water reflections with your camera!

Here are a few of mine that I think of when I think about water reflections.

1. Bridge light reflections taken from the shore of the York River in Yorktown, Va.
DSC_1150-8-2-L.jpg

2. Buildings reflected in water from Burano, Italy.
DSC_1121_edited-3-Edit-8-L.jpg

3. Canoes reflected in a lake.
DSC_1801-edit-1-7-L.jpg

4. And even B&W when the real is difficult to separate from the reflected.
DSC_1817-edit-1-8-3-L.jpg

I look forward to seeing many more water reflections and hope you enjoy them as much as I'm going to enjoy looking at them.

This challenge will run for two weeks - from today until Monday, October 12th @ 5:00PM PDT USA.

##################################################
##########################
OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

################################################## ########################
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2015
    Haven't done a lot of reflections, but would like to practice more! In the meantime, here are three of mine.

Old Highway 40, between Cisco Grove and Soda Springs, Ca.

IMG_5158%20adj%20and%20oil-X2.jpg

Lake Tenaya - Yosemite Tioga Pass

IMG_1907%20PS%20and%20T%20for%20Challenge-X2.jpg

And another Lake Tenaya - a misty reflection

IMG_1905-X2.jpg
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    Jo, thanks for kicking off the challenge with such a great set.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    Cool idea Wayne!

Balboa Park - San Diego

i-Xn3srCP-XL.jpg

The Robert Sharp

The%20Robert%20Sharp-XL.jpg

Steam Ferry Berkeley

Window%20Pane-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2015
    Sunset in a glass:

i-N9WCzc3-L.jpg

Palace of Fine Arts:

i-FB7HPDD-L.jpg

The pier:

i-KXmVVj4-L.jpg
    Steve

Website
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2015
    When I saw Earache's pictures, I thought of this one which isn't the normal reflection picture. It was taken in 1997 from under water so it is the reflection of light from under water to the air above. I was inside the wreck of the HMS Rhone. This is the air from the bubbles of divers which is caught in a porthole of the ship.

x17735_12.JPG
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2015
    Early morning

IMG_0461-XL.jpg

Castle

IMG_4870-XL.jpg

Watermill

0060-XL.jpg
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2015
    OMG, this is my favorite subject and the photos here are beautiful!

- My problem again is that I have so, so many...

Well, I chose 3 of them and this is my contribution (I'm not totally sure... I may change some ):

1. Quite Sunday morning in Fogo Island, Newfoundland

Quiet morning in Fogo island, NFL, CanadaSept. 2, 2010

2. End of the day in Gananoque, Ontario - on St. Laurent river

June 8, 2010Boats on St Lawrence River, Gananoque Ontario

3. Rideau canal, Ottawa

Going somewhere... Ottawa Canada
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2015
    My Three:

1) Mystic River

IMGP5034-L.jpg

2) Elm Park Bridge

IMGP4118-L.jpg

3) Under the Bridge

IMGP1461-L.jpg

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2015
    Looking at the wonderful entries there are already, I was a little intimidated. (But not much - I don't stay intimidated very long) I picked about 75 photos of reflections taken in the last 5 or 10 years or so (digital ones) and then I had to figure out which ones to use. I eliminated those that were just pretty pictures - that didn't mean anything to me. I decided to pick three photos that were taken from or of our boat. First of the boat

031115-1032uImage020.jpg

Which I include not so much because it is a good reflection photo, but because I wanted to.

And I have to include a lighthouse of course

2262872-Smith_Point_on_a_calm_day-United_States_of_America.jpg

This is Smith Point in the Chesapeake off the coast of Virginia. We are on the dark side of it (i.e. the light is on the other side). Even tho I think the picture is more of the lighthouse than the reflection, I really like it.

And last a photo taken in the Dismal Swamp Canal - our boat made smooth ripples which reflected the plants on the shore

x031102-1055uImage028.jpg
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2015
    Rather than dumping a(nother) load of duckpix with really oof bg reflections, I thought I'd add this to the mix as it was only taken about a week ago.

Mrs pp dragged me off for a week to the 'seaside' ... and after noting that there were a masses of turbines on the western horizon (nearest about 25km away), I decided to have a go.

Hadn't noticed the birds, and certainly not the reflections ... so they were a bonus (for me,anyway :) )

pp

forgot title

Day's end ... (nowt if not original, huh ... )
    edited October 9, 2015
    Just a reminder that you have three more days to submit entries until the Oct 12th 5PM PDT deadline. Some fantastic submissions thus far. Keep'em coming! wings.gif

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2015
    A duck why not a duck ? maybe a pele I can find one headscratch.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2015
    Here are a couple of mine ...

1) Balloon Festival

104_0425-XL.jpg

2) Water Drop - Ok its mainly refraction not reflection (although there is some) but just thought I'd throw it in to add to the fun. Dismiss it if it's a bad fit for the theme.

IMG_0792-Edit-3-XL.jpg

3) Swan Reflecting

IMG_3097-XL.jpg

Good luck everyone.

Alan.
    edited October 9, 2015
    jwear wrote: »
    A duck why not a duck ? maybe a pele I can find one headscratch.gif
    Here is a pelican
    Jeff W

edited October 9, 2015
    Here is a pelican

after so many flybys for me to get that shot ,she finally took a break rolleyes1.gif
    Jeff W

• JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2015
    And here's some of mine.

1. Last week, at a castle (digital, top and bottom stitched).

21833268868_2f038c0086.jpg

2. Some time ago, walking distance from my house (on 6x6 Fomapan with a Hasselblad)

13700203023_ddc4958f12.jpg

3. Last year at the race track (on 6x6 Fomapan with a YashicaMat)

14994866067_4a3f3b9c83.jpg
    edited October 10, 2015
    Down to a little over 48 hours to go. Just letting the members of the "I like to wait" :cavig procrastinators' club members know! deal.gif

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2015
    I haven't been able to play in a while. I have moved my elderly mother 1000 miles to live with us. We are still sorting through all of her stuff (and our stuff) and rearranging furniture so we can fit it into our house. I think I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel though. :D

1. Not the best photo I've ever taken, but I still love it. It has a watercolor feel that was straight from the camera. We were leaving Yellowstone last year (one of a line of cars) and came across this momma and baby bison. I had time to just grab the camera and take a couple of quick snaps.
    P5165170-1-L.jpg

2. I took this at Vogel State Park in Georgia. I had not had my digital camera very long when I took this one.

vogel%20027%20b-L.jpg

3. This one is from a local hiking trail from earlier this year. It was in March and the leaves had not started to bud out on the trees yet. This is one of the few shots that I have that I actually like better in black and white than in color.
    IMG_0391-1-L.jpg

Sherry
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited October 11, 2015
    Here are my contributions to the collection of water reflections...

1. Reflections in Colorado
    i-x55rDJ3-L.jpg

2. Glacial Reflections in Alaska
    i-d2vVcwz-L.jpg

3. Looking Across the Delaware River
    i-g7shVJK-L.jpg

Like Sherry, it has been a little harder for me to find time to participate in these challenges - in part because of supporting family and in part because of travel. But I managed to find a little time to reprocess some photos. While looking at my options, I came across a lot of photos taken in Alaska six years ago and never processed. It was great to have a reason to look at them.

Thank you for the fun challenge! Lots of marvelous entries.
    edited October 12, 2015
    A duck why not a duck ? ,,,

Well, I suppose your lonesome mandarin needs a bit of (female?) company :)

Couple of years ago, there was a male mandarin at my local venue ... that'd been chatting up a few of the local residents ...and getting some degree of success, judging by the group of admirers that were generally hanging around him.

I suspect he wasn't aware that any issue wouldn't go beyond one generation, though?

pp
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2015
    Great shot Paul.
    Alan
    edited October 12, 2015
    Thanks, Alan ... amazing what one can do with a studio shot, innit?

Well, as someone recently said I should 'get stuffed', I followed their advice, took above to a taxidermist, set it up on a nice, shiny bit 'o perspex, played around with a few lights ... and voila.

Sure beats grovelling around at water level in the cold etc, dunnit :)

pp
    edited October 12, 2015
    "Remember
    Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock people
    Time's tickin' away
    Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock people
    Time's tickin' away"

"Tick Tock"...by Stevie Ray Vaughan

deal.gif

edited October 12, 2015
    Okay, folks, this mini challenge is now closed. I wish to thank everyone who entered. We have a fabulous collection of water reflection pictures. I will post this challenge results tomorrow morning.
    Thanks again! clap.gif