Can't process RAW files from Canon 7D Mark II

macmasseymacmassey Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited October 8, 2015 in Cameras
I bought a Canon 7D Mark II only to realize I can't process RAW files in good ole Photoshop Elements 11 like I had been doing for my 40 D RAW files. Should I assume Photoshop Elements will never come with a RAW processer to handle the 7D Mark II files? If not, I don't want to upgrade to the newest version. I keep hearing about a new version of Camera Raw coming out by the end of the year though I'm not even sure what that is to be honest. Any suggestions for other options for photo processing? I wouldn't be interested in full "big boy" Photoshop, a lot of that due to cost. I just want to be able to take RAW photos with my new camera and process them using an affordable program. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited September 30, 2015
    Yes, and No.

Yes, you have an older version of Photoshop Elements and yes, Adobe probably never will provide a version of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) for it which would support Canon 7D Mark II RAW files, ... however,

No, that doesn't mean your options are lost. For the short term you can grab a free copy of Adobe DNG converter (Mac or Windows):

Adobe DNG Converter for Mac OS
    Adobe DNG Converter for Windows

Install whatever is appropriate for your computer, then copy your RAW files into a separate folder and run the DNG converter against the folder which converts those files into DNG files. (Make sure to choose an older version of DNG files for the output so that your older version of Photoshop Elements understands the version of DNG.)

After processing the directory you should be able to use your Photoshop Elements 11 to open and process the DNG files fine and dandy, just like always.

You may also just wish to purchase the latest version of Photoshop Elements so that you can avoid the DNG conversion.

Lots of freeware and alternate commercial software options.

For freeware and open-source I like RawTherapee a lot. It's slow* and completely different in use but it has an extremely competent image processing engine with software contributions from some of the top software coders in the business. Available for Mac, Windows and Linux, but the latest and best versions do require a 64 bit and fast computer to be productive. *(It's slowness is largely due to the high data precision of the image processing.)

On Windows there is Paint.net, which is updated frequently but which uses external plugins for RAW files and I have not tested them. Totally free.

The ubiquitous GIMP is an very mature image processor, and again uses plugins for RAW files and I have not tested them. Totally free.

Many folks like Adobe Lightroom, but I think it's more expensive than Elements, and still vulnerable to ACR incompatibility with future RAW files. (I was a public beta tester twice but decided that Lightroom just was not a good fit for my preferred workflow and automation needs.)

Corel PaintShop Pro is supposed to be very nice and a bit cheaper than Elements, but I've not used it. Even it could be vulnerable to incompatibility with future RAW files.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited September 30, 2015
    In my experience with Lightroom, once a newer version of Lightroom is released Adobe stops updating the older versions to understand new camera RAW files. I suspect the same is true of Photoshop Elements.

I believe you can use Canon's Digital Photo Professional to process the RAW images to a format that is readable by Photoshop Elements 11.

In the past I believe Canon cameras came with a CD including this software. If you don't have the CD you can download it from http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware.

--- Denise
  • macmasseymacmassey Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2015
    Thank you for this very detailed and helpful response. I really appreciate you taking the time to assist. This is some great information! I feel MUCH better now knowing I have options! clap.gif
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Yes, and No.

Yes, you have an older version of Photoshop Elements and yes, Adobe probably never will provide a version of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) for it which would support Canon 7D Mark II RAW files, ... however,

No, that doesn't mean your options are lost. For the short term you can grab a free copy of Adobe DNG converter (Mac or Windows):

Adobe DNG Converter for Mac OS
    Adobe DNG Converter for Windows

Install whatever is appropriate for your computer, then copy your RAW files into a separate folder and run the DNG converter against the folder which converts those files into DNG files. (Make sure to choose an older version of DNG files for the output so that your older version of Photoshop Elements understands the version of DNG.)

After processing the directory you should be able to use your Photoshop Elements 11 to open and process the DNG files fine and dandy, just like always.

You may also just wish to purchase the latest version of Photoshop Elements so that you can avoid the DNG conversion.

Lots of freeware and alternate commercial software options.

For freeware and open-source I like RawTherapee a lot. It's slow* and completely different in use but it has an extremely competent image processing engine with software contributions from some of the top software coders in the business. Available for Mac, Windows and Linux, but the latest and best versions do require a 64 bit and fast computer to be productive. *(It's slowness is largely due to the high data precision of the image processing.)

On Windows there is Paint.net, which is updated frequently but which uses external plugins for RAW files and I have not tested them. Totally free.

The ubiquitous GIMP is an very mature image processor, and again uses plugins for RAW files and I have not tested them. Totally free.

Many folks like Adobe Lightroom, but I think it's more expensive than Elements, and still vulnerable to ACR incompatibility with future RAW files. (I was a public beta tester twice but decided that Lightroom just was not a good fit for my preferred workflow and automation needs.)

Corel PaintShop Pro is supposed to be very nice and a bit cheaper than Elements, but I've not used it. Even it could be vulnerable to incompatibility with future RAW files.
  • macmasseymacmassey Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2015
    Thanks for that reminder. Yes I did get that CD. Man, guess I was so excited to start using the new camera I just stuck it on a shelf. ne_nau.gif I sure appreciate the suggestions!!!
    In my experience with Lightroom, once a newer version of Lightroom is released Adobe stops updating the older versions to understand new camera RAW files. I suspect the same is true of Photoshop Elements.

I believe you can use Canon's Digital Photo Professional to process the RAW images to a format that is readable by Photoshop Elements 11.

In the past I believe Canon cameras came with a CD including this software. If you don't have the CD you can download it from http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware.

--- Denise
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2015

Yes, provided your PC is using an OS that'll run the version of DPP that's needed for a 7D2.

pp
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2015
    macmassey wrote: »
    Thanks for that reminder. Yes I did get that CD. Man, guess I was so excited to start using the new camera I just stuck it on a shelf. ne_nau.gif I sure appreciate the suggestions!!!

you might find using Adobe's free DNG converter quicker and easier to convert RAW files for PS or Lightroom