Options

Lens hood extensions? for shooting in the wet

The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited October 6, 2015 in Accessories
I'm curious if somebody makes extensions or bolt-on lens hoods?

I've done some events where conditions were basically windy drizzle/rain.
I can live with getting rained on and use covers when appropriate for the camera/lens.

But the only problem I am still running into, is when it gets windy and I don't have much option against shooting into the wind.

My 300mm F4 has a built-in lens hood that works great but isn't very long and in drizzle I can still get the glass wet.
I'm curious if anyone makes an extension of sorts for lens hoods?

Some of the other photogs I have shot with use 400mm F2.8's which have pretty long hoods, and they usually do not seem to have as much of a problem. I think if I can extend out the hood (even if the extension is wider) it would really help.

Does something like this exist?
____Motoception Photography____
www.motoception.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited October 6, 2015
    I am not aware of any lens hood "extensions", but there are aftermarket lens hoods which use the filter threads of the lens to secure and they may come in a longer snout which could provide more protection against rain and dust.

I presume that you refer to the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM prime, which has 77mm filter threads. Sadly, I don't find anything longer than the built-in hood.

Alternately, you might try making your own extension. First measure the circumference of your built-in lens hood, so you know which size of the following sheets to purchase.

Go to a Walmart store, or a craft store, and ask for "Foamies" sheets in the fabrics or craft section of the store. Purchase a couple of the black sheets without adhesive and of the appropriate size to wrap around your lens hood. Roll one sheet around the built-in lens hood and use some tape on the sheet to temporarily secure the sheet around the hood. Now wrap the second sheet around the first sheet, making sure that the first sheet can slide snugly on the hood and the second sheet slides snugly on the first sheet.

Now test the system. Foamies sheets are very light absorbing open cell foam and work well as flocking material. Simply extend the sheet cylinders forward until you see vignetting occur, then back them off a bit until the vignetting disappears. This should be your maximum extension of the system. Obviously, you can add another sheet atop the second sheet if needed.

When you have the extensions adjusted for the length you need, use full wraps of tape around the sheet to retain the shape. Alternately white glue works well but use a kind which is not designed to loosen in water, since you are designing the system for wet use. Additionally you may wish to add a waterproof cover for the sheets since they are open cell foam and will absorb water.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2015
    It might also be worth keeping your eyes open for any form of cylindrical packaging that's either a sliding friction fit over the existing hood or of similar diameter to the existing hood that can be affixed to it with some form of adaptor /joint piece.

I use the latter approach to affix a second hood as an extension to the hood of a 500 f4,using a piece of 6in dia sewer pipe, that I blagged from a skip /dumpster :)

pp