Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3

CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
edited October 8, 2015 in Cameras
Hi all,
On our recent trip to Yellowstone, my frustration at trying to shoot wildlife with an old and mediocre 75-300mm zoom lens came to a head. I was using a 2X extender, but still was finding it difficult to get good shots of anything. I need a lens that will take decent photos for at least 200 yards away.

I've been looking at the Tamron SP 150-600mm (F5-6.3) that seems to be a reasonable price compared to the Canon lenses. I have a Canon 70D and a small Rebel DSLR. I would like to have a good telephoto (or zoom) to use with the 70D since that is such a better camera.

Any suggestions to what lens would help me? I know a lot of you shoot wildlife extremely well and would like to know what you use and what you would suggest that I do (be kind!).

Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on.
Jo

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2015
    A fellow w/life tog who also uses a 70D uses a 100/400 to good effect imo.
    It'll depend - imo - to some extent on what you want to shoot, as losing 200mm may or may not be significant /important.

I believe the mk2 is a better performer, but have no direct experience with it.

He recently got the cover shot on a local calendar with the above setup.
    http://www.rutlandwater.org.uk/product/2016-lrwt-calendar/

Whilst I also have a 100/400 (with a 7D2), my std 'go to' is a 500 f4, which is - unfortunately - considerably more ££/$$.

pp
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited October 6, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Hi all,
    On our recent trip to Yellowstone, my frustration at trying to shoot wildlife with an old and mediocre 75-300mm zoom lens came to a head. I was using a 2X extender, but still was finding it difficult to get good shots of anything. I need a lens that will take decent photos for at least 200 yards away.

I've been looking at the Tamron SP 150-600mm (F5-6.3) that seems to be a reasonable price compared to the Canon lenses. I have a Canon 70D and a small Rebel DSLR. I would like to have a good telephoto (or zoom) to use with the 70D since that is such a better camera.

Any suggestions to what lens would help me? I know a lot of you shoot wildlife extremely well and would like to know what you use and what you would suggest that I do (be kind!).

Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on.
    Jo

For the Canon 70D, I believe that the center AF point is only sensitive for lenses or lens/extender combinations yielding f5.6 or faster. I don't think that f5.6 will autofocus at f6.3, which on the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD would include focal lengths of 428-600mm (according to this lens review at "The-Digital-Picture" and according to page 108 of the Canon 70D User Manual.) (This may have changed with a firmware update, but I couldn't find any information to that effect.)

For important subject matter, I suggest renting/begging/borrowing a Canon body capable of autofocus with lenses or lens/extender combinations yielding f8 or faster. This would include the Canon 7D mark II, for instance. This would be a much better platform for the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD. The Canon 1D Mark IV (with firmware update) is another example of a capable body for that lens (although it is an APS/H - Crop 1.3x imager).

The older Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM also has a small aperture at the longer focal lengths, but that lens "lies" to the host body by reporting f5.6 which allows autofocus to occur even when the effective aperture is really f6.3. This lens does not have optical image stabilization like the Tamron above, however the later Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM does have optical image stabilization, but I'm not sure about the aperture reporting of the later version.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2015
    I'm a huge fan of the Bigma, although as a Nikon user I'm not sure if the newer version of this lens plays well with Canon 70D. My suggestion would be call up B&H and ask, they'll know for sure.
    Steve

Website
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2015
    I have the Tamron 150-600 as well as the Canon 100-400 (MkI) and I like them both.

The 100-400 is (in my opinion) better and faster for fast moving things like birds in flight, airplanes, etc.
    If there is enough time and light, the Tamron gives very good results also.

Here's a gallery with test shots I did with the Tamron (all hand held) http://www.steendorp.com/Photography/Tamron-150-600/

Here's a gallery with test shots I did with the Canon (all hand held) http://www.steendorp.com/Photography/Canon-100-400-IS-L-lens/

The Tamron I bought a few months ago. Than canon I have for many years. If needed, I have a lot more galleries with pictures that have been taken with the Canon.
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2015
    Thank you all for your very thoughtful and helpful responses. I will do more research into what is available out there and pay more attention to the aperture and how the lens fits with the 70D. I may try renting various lenses for a day or two in order to play with them and see how they interact with the 70D. Sounds like I have some more work to do!

thanks again,
    Jo
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Thank you all for your very thoughtful and helpful responses. I will do more research into what is available out there and pay more attention to the aperture and how the lens fits with the 70D. I may try renting various lenses for a day or two in order to play with them and see how they interact with the 70D. Sounds like I have some more work to do!

thanks again,
    Jo

check it out but if you shoot wildlife, birds, etc. the Tamron / Sigmja 150-600 is probably a good choice