Options

Hard Letter

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited October 17, 2015 in Street and Documentary
DSC_1909A-8-3-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited October 11, 2015
    I really like the shot, but I'm less sure of the processing. I think it might work better in B&W. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    I really like the shot, but I'm less sure of the processing. I think it might work better in B&W. ne_nau.gif

Richard, I'm working on that even "as we speak". I agree. Just trying to get the tone/lighting correct to my eye. Thank you!

And here is the B&W.

DSC_1909A1-8-XL.jpg
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2015
    It's a beautiful image, and I like both color and B&W. Love the contrast of the B&W, really like the glow of the highlights in the color version. If I may be so forward, could we see a cropped version, where the right side comes down just behind the face of the radio, cutting out the lamp?
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2015
    JonaBeth, thanks for the kind review. I hope this is the crop you requested...I did want to leave enough of the lamp stand in so that in didn't appear to be just a "nub". Thanks again.

DSC_1909A1-8-2-XL.jpg

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2015
    Thanks so much for entertaining me on this! I like the crop because, as stellar as the lamp is, it seemed to steal my eyes' attention from the point at hand, which I believe is the letter writing and ring off the finger. Now my eye can clearly see what's going on.

I'd hang it!
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2015
    Thanks so much for entertaining me on this! I like the crop because, as stellar as the lamp is, it seemed to steal my eyes' attention from the point at hand, which I believe is the letter writing and ring off the finger. Now my eye can clearly see what's going on.

I'd hang it!

JonaBeth, I agree! Thanks for your valuable input on this one!

• Options
    edited October 14, 2015
    Well, damn--I missed the ring entirely :bash. Boy, do I feel dumb.

OK, so maybe there's too much going on. Eliminating most of the lamp simplifies it some, but I kind of liked the lamp. OTOH, I found the mug a little jarring. I think its glossy finish works against the idea of age that the other things convey.

I do prefer the B&W to the color version. One nit is that both versions have a bit of haloing, especially on the left edge of the paper in the typewriter. That should be easy enough to fix, but if it were mine, I'd try a re-shoot, simplifying the scene and leaving a little more space around the ring to make it more prominent. I also think the typewriter would look older if you removed it from the plastic case on the bottom.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Well, damn--I missed the ring entirely :bash. Boy, do I feel dumb.

OK, so maybe there's too much going on. Eliminating most of the lamp simplifies it some, but I kind of liked the lamp. OTOH, I found the mug a little jarring. I think its glossy finish works against the idea of age that the other things convey.

I do prefer the B&W to the color version. One nit is that both versions have a bit of haloing, especially on the left edge of the paper in the typewriter. That should be easy enough to fix, but if it were mine, I'd try a re-shoot, simplifying the scene and leaving a little more space around the ring to make it more prominent. I also think the typewriter would look older if you removed it from the plastic case on the bottom.

Richard, excellent points here and much appreciated. This is my first attempt at "staging" a photo to imply a story and interestingly the first thing I noticed after processing the shot was the typewriter still being encased in "plastic". Also, I couldn't determine the best place for the ring so your point here is well taken. As you suggested early on the B&W does work better for the shot. This particular spot gets a great morning light so I might repeat the attempt and come back with a second effort. Thanks again to you and JBR for taking the time!

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2015
    It's great to see some imagination! I think I like the first version best, but I'm not on my calibrated monitor.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    It's great to see some imagination! I think I like the first version best, but I'm not on my calibrated monitor.

Thank you, Don. Much appreciated.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2015
    So I took some of the previous advice and thought out the shot again. Here are the results, in color and B&W. C's & C's always welcomed. I went for attempting a more vintage look in these shots. I'm not sure these are an improvement.

DSC_2135A1-8-XL.jpg

DSC_2135-8-XL.jpg

• Options
    edited October 17, 2015
    Much improved. The placement of the ring is better and the addition of the framed portrait helps tell the story, though it's a little washed out in the B&W. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2015
    Richard, thanks for you help on this one. As always, appreciated more than I can say! bowdown.gif

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2015
    Wow! I really commend you for your effort. I much prefer the reshoot, however, I would like to see more of the left arm and typewriter. Nice shot and discussion!