Options

Loved this dress

JonTinklerJonTinkler Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited October 23, 2015 in Weddings
First post everyone :)

We shot a wedding last Friday and I absolutely loved the dress, thought I'd post about it here - there's got to be a first post, right?

Preview-Davina-Matt-Ballara-Receptions-48.jpg

More shots from the wedding at our blog, http://www.millgrovephotography.com.au/ballara-receptions-davina-matt/

Comments

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2015
    Really nice. I like the post processing, and the way that the BG frames the bride. The dress has plenty of detail...good job.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2015
    I want that swing, ha! Pretty dress :) Did you get a few photos of the couple on that swing?
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Really nice. I like the post processing, and the way that the BG frames the bride. The dress has plenty of detail...good job.

Hey, thanks Ed :) Really appreciate the kind words. Nice soft light on the day was a big help in keeping that dress detail.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2015
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    I want that swing, ha! Pretty dress :) Did you get a few photos of the couple on that swing?

Hi Angie, sure did - thought I'd include on here since you asked ....

Preview-Davina-Matt-Ballara-Receptions-45.jpg
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2015
    It is a great dress and nice idea on composition. Sometimes for shots like this the stronger picture is to not have the bride to turn around and face the camera. It looks awkward and makes her shoulders perpendicular to the camera. A stronger shot that shows off the dress and adds mystery is her looking straightforward or in profile.

I like the idea of using the framing of the swing as a frame, but the swing is distracting and the white gazebo in the background compete for attention as it is the same color of the dress. Those elements could be cloned out if needed. The swing is better used in your second picture.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2015
    JonTinkler wrote: »
    First post everyone :)

We shot a wedding last Friday and I absolutely loved the dress, thought I'd post about it here - there's got to be a first post, right?

Preview-Davina-Matt-Ballara-Receptions-48.jpg

More shots from the wedding at our blog, http://www.millgrovephotography.com.au/ballara-receptions-davina-matt/

I like the shot, it's got a lot going for it. I would indeed try the suggestion of, having her look not directly into the camera, but just away to the side.

Regarding the gazebo and the swing / frame, I do see how it could be a distraction, however I have another suggestion. Instead of cloning any elements out, since they're all probably special to the bride & groom if this was their wedding venue, ...I'd simply go for more shallow depth. I can't tell what aperture or focal length this was shot at, but it does seem like you could have got a bit more shallow with the background if 85mm and f/1.4 had been used. But even if that was already what you shot at, an even more powerful tool at creating shallow DOF would have been to keep this exact framing, but have her step quite a few feet closer to the camera. You could do this yet still frame the outline of her head against the gazebo at least a little bit, and this would also begin to blur the swing a bit and that'd make a world of difference.

But, that's just my input as a Southern California wedding photographer where everything "must" be shot wide open on a fast prime with a "killed" background. It's not something I'm always proud of, but it does have its merits...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2015
    I read 'loved his dress'.