Options

Ability to turn off mobile view and choose desktop view option

Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited October 24, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Legacy SmugMug's mobile website had the option to turn off mobile and use the desktop version. I would love this for the new SmugMug. My clients and site testers (friends) have said they find the mobile version to be confusing and they prefer to view my new site on their desktop. I also prefer the desktop version. The lightbox on the mobile version (using ios 6 via iPhone 4s) also doesn't have any of the icons for sharing or changing size etc. I'm not sure if that is also true with other devices. Thanks!
Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Legacy SmugMug's mobile website had the option to turn off mobile and use the desktop version. I would love this for the new SmugMug. My clients and site testers (friends) have said they find the mobile version to be confusing and they prefer to view my new site on their desktop. I also prefer the desktop version. The lightbox on the mobile version (using ios 6 via iPhone 4s) also doesn't have any of the icons for sharing or changing size etc. I'm not sure if that is also true with other devices. Thanks!

Thanks Amber! I will look into this, but since the New SmugMug is all responsive, it may not be as easy as it sounds.
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Thanks Amber! I will look into this, but since the New SmugMug is all responsive, it may not be as easy as it sounds.

Thank you for responding Michael! I understand you guys have enough to do right now. No worries, but if it is determined possible - you'd be even bigger rock stars. :D

• Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    Thank you for responding Michael! I understand you guys have enough to do right now. No worries, but if it is determined possible - you'd be even bigger rock stars. :D

:) Thanks Amber! I wish I was a rockstar :)
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    :) Thanks Amber! I wish I was a rockstar :)

You're welcome Michael. Don't we all! Of course, rocking a camera, providing customer service and up all hours of the night pretty much applies.
    Welcome to the club of awesomeness. ylsuper.gif

• Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    this could be tricky, as , rather than use specific mobile flags, which can then be overridden, it looks like smugmug bases it solely on the width of the screen. so if you make your browser really narrow, it will act just like a phone.

the way mobile/desktop style switches work is that there's one set of rules for mobile devices, which are then ignored if the 'full site'/'desktop' option is picked. I don't think that's the case with new smug.

Particularly noticeable in lightbox mode, below a certain width, it'll turn off the shopping cart for example.

it also means that if you browse in landscape mode on your phone/tablet you might get the functionality you're looking for ;)
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited August 25, 2013
    If this is implemented please make it an option. I prefer to have the buy button present.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    this could be tricky, as , rather than use specific mobile flags, which can then be overridden, it looks like smugmug bases it solely on the width of the screen. so if you make your browser really narrow, it will act just like a phone.

the way mobile/desktop style switches work is that there's one set of rules for mobile devices, which are then ignored if the 'full site'/'desktop' option is picked. I don't think that's the case with new smug.

Particularly noticeable in lightbox mode, below a certain width, it'll turn off the shopping cart for example.

it also means that if you browse in landscape mode on your phone/tablet you might get the functionality you're looking for ;)

Correct Paul, this will be a tricky one, but I added it to the feedback forum

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4341255-add-mobile-view-on-off-option
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    What I think I would like, is some sort of indication on mobile that photos are purchasable, even if its "please use a tablet or desktop to order prints", rather than hiding the option completely.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Correct Paul, this will be a tricky one, but I added it to the feedback forum

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4341255-add-mobile-view-on-off-option

I have no idea about the hardcore coding required to make the new SmugMug work, but I really enjoyed having my site seamlessly display regardless of browsers. I have a habit of testing my site to be cross-browser compatible. Primarily for now, if the lightbox could match the desktop site it would be great. I saw my Dad yesterday. He does not use the internet (ne_nau.gif) and lives far away. It was my only chance to show him my recent work, yet I was unable to gesture the images larger. It was a disappointing. Thankfully, I had downloaded a SmugMug app from the App Store. There is also no obvious way to purchase, share or comment etc and I would love to have been able to have the collage view rather than scrolling, scrolling, scrolling. I can not imagine how busy you guys are, so I am patient, but this is the one request I have that is top. Thanks!

• Options
    The Photo BoothThe Photo Booth Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    Yes, please give us back the ability to turn off mobile view on the new SmugMug. Several features are lost when we are forced into a mobile version of our sites when on our iPhones and other mobile devices. For example, we no longer have access to "Get a Link" under the Owner Share menu.

I was told by a Hero that a new version of the SmugMug app for iOS was forthcoming and that the app would restore the missing features (including Get a Link). But I haven't seen any updates to the SmugMug app yet. Please make it a priority. And PLEASE give us back the ability to force Desktop view for mobile devices (turn off mobile view).

This is very frustrating! And, even more frustrating, this topic proves customers wanted it TWO YEARS AGO and it still hasn't been implemented!

Mark
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2015
    Yes, please give us back the ability to turn off mobile view on the new SmugMug. Several features are lost when we are forced into a mobile version of our sites when on our iPhones and other mobile devices. For example, we no longer have access to "Get a Link" under the Owner Share menu.

I was told by a Hero that a new version of the SmugMug app for iOS was forthcoming and that the app would restore the missing features (including Get a Link). But I haven't seen any updates to the SmugMug app yet. Please make it a priority. And PLEASE give us back the ability to force Desktop view for mobile devices (turn off mobile view).

This is very frustrating! And, even more frustrating, this topic proves customers wanted it TWO YEARS AGO and it still hasn't been implemented!

Mark

Mark, I've provided this before... one little line of CSS code will give you the ability to get a link on your phone and even collect photos:

#ShareCollect, #ShareGetALink {display: block!important}

Just drop that in a CSS content block on all galleries and you're set. Waiting for smugmug to implement a feature is rarely the best way to go when you can do it yourself.

Dave
  • Options
    YoPawnYoPawn Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2015
    OK, this is 2015 smugmug. Most people who care about viewing websites on their phone have a smart phone by now. Which means, they can pinch zoom and scroll if they want to look closer. The current mobile design treats all smart phones like they have no ability to zoom, which makes displaying large amounts of info a complete garbage mess.

My site looks very clean and organized in desktop mode. On my iPhone, it looks like some hack 10 year old designed my website back in 1997. This is especially bad if there are any areas with custom HTML, which does not get reorganized for mobile. To make it even worse, you can't zoom out to see the areas of HTML content. Who cares if people can google my website with a mobile phone if the website is all trashed and unprofessional looking. My website looked great on mobile using the old smugmug, so the backwards downgrade has really made me mad, especially since I put so much time and effort rebuilding the whole site for the new smugmug. :(

I am loving the new smugmug for desktop, but for mobile, it is a complete failure. If you are going to force us to use a mobile mode, at least let us customize the website for mobile viewing so that it at least works correctly.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 24, 2015
    YoPawn wrote: »
    On my iPhone, it looks like some hack 10 year old designed my website back in 1997

Can you provide a link to your site so I can see what's going on? It should look just as good on mobile as it does on the desktop.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations