Options

Natural Color

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited October 26, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Well this happens only a couple of weeks a year. So I flew into NY to shoot the autumn colors in the Catskills a week or so ago

A local website said the colors were at their peak

They were right

Picked up a car and drove out of NY with no destination - just a direction and a plan to use the local roads. It was great.. two days of color & just beating the bad weather.

Some shots (no pp - just conversion) First time I used Viewnx2 and was pleased with the resolution

RAG_1745_1736-X3.jpg

RAG_1801_1785-X3.jpg

RAG_1694_1690-X3.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2015
    How can one go wrong with fall colors and horses?
    I like #3 the best though! Great comp!
    I would explore what #1 looks like without that green patch at the bottom. That would put horses much lower in the frame.....however, to me that looks more appealing.....
    Cheers Rags!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2015
    Rags, I'm very jealous. These are the kind of shots I'm waiting for here in tidewater Va. Very nicely composed also. Here's my 2 cents worth...
    #1. Agree with Taz, maybe just a tad off the green and add a little bit more of sky.
    #2. I'm going to say what Taz usually says :D...the wires (and pole) pull my attention away from the
    lower scene. Did you not clone out to stay true to the scene? If so, I understand. Also, might be
    just me but is this one rotated just a tad to the left?
    #3. I like the branch effect but I guess I would like a little less of it. Maybe a few branches coming
    in from the top to maintain the nice layers of depth you've created here but that's a REALLY!
    nice scene on the other side of the lake and a beautiful reflection in the foreground. I would like to more of that. Of course if you are in thick woods here and didn't have this option...understood.
    Just my input but I'll say again...Very nice scenes here! bowdown.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited October 21, 2015
    Thanks for the comments gentlemen

I was at the edge of the bank, hence the leaves

Less leaves - but crooked

RAG_1678_1674-X3.jpg

I did no PP on these - I used viewnx2 and don't know the edit program yet
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2015
    torags wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments gentlemen

I was at the edge of the bank, hence the leaves

Less leaves - but crooked

I did no PP on these - I used viewnx2 and don't know the edit program yet

Not exactly what I was thinking about given the busy foreground in the second effort. Appears that getting a good open shot across the lake was hard to accomplish. Good effort however.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2015
    Well I'm going to dissent and say I think these nice compositions could all use some help. Especially some highlight recovery and a little more pop in the colors and clarity. The first shot is not level either. I used to think there was something pure about "straight out of the camera" shots. There isn't. When you don't develop your own images, you're not doing "no PP", you're just accepting the camera's post-processing.

I disagree with stumblebum, I think the grass at the bottom of #1 is an important element.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2015
    The green in no 1 makes excellent color contrast and I would leave it.

Electric wires are reality, even with covered bridges.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2015
    Wow ... superb!
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    A little pp...

I'm learning ViewNX2

RAG_1766_1754-X3.jpg
    Rags
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    Very nice, this one pops.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2015
    I like this a lot! Great shot and nicely presented.

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2015
    So, lemme just say, for straight out of camera, you killed it! Now, if you plan to work these more, here are my comments, for whatever they're worth, if anything.

Image #1: I like the green as a contrast to the fall colors. I would suggest straightening the image (use the fence as a horizon line). Add some blue, bump the contrast, boom.

Image #2: I love power lines. They remind us that these are places that WE can actually go see ourselves, rather than some mystery three day trek to a non-descript place that might not really exist.

Image #3: Nice work, but I agree, a little cluttered in the foreground. You did the best you could with the scene you had, that's the most important thing.

Great work, really enjoy this set!
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Thanks all..... your comments are really appreciated
    Rags