D750 or Fuji XT1?

124»

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2015
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Excellent review.
    cmason wrote: »
    As it happens, my Dad bought the Fuji XT1, selling his Canon 60D and selection of lenses. So I gave it a try in my 'recital scenario' above.

The camera is very good at low ISO, but not as good as a newer full frame like Canon, Nikon or Sony. It is likely comparable or perhaps a bit better than a current APS-C from the big guys, though I don't have any direct experience with them. I do know for sure that it crushes the Canon 40D in terms of low light capability.

Here is the sample photo, taken in a choral recital. Camera is set to Auto ISO, and aperture priority. The camera gave me ISO 1600 at 1/40 f2.8:

i-cfjGXKW-M.jpg

Very good results I think. Not noise free, but darn good. There is some slight clean up in Lightroom on this, as I shot RAW. The OIS is extremely useful, as this is handheld!

For those that are pixel peeping, here is the same shot, first the JPG from the camera: ( a tad warm I thought)

i-XbXm2wz-Th.jpg

And the same RAW file, with zero noise reduction applied:

i-v2kFwpv-Th.jpg

I also found that I could up the shutter speed to 1/60, and simply push the exposure in post with no noticeable effect, so there is no real tradeoff to shooting slightly underexposed.

After a few days playing with it, I find it a great system, with no real downsides. But, I find it very fiddly, with so many options it will make your head spin. I quickly got up to speed with ISO, shutter and aperture adjustments, and really like how they work. The switches under the dials are constantly getting knocked, and getting put n weird settings, and that was frustrating. They need to be much stiffer. I think I shot 20 shots in that Bracketing mode as the switch had moved from Single shot to Bracket every time I took the camera out of my bag.

In the end, this no substitute for a 5DMk3/D810/A7x in lowlight, or for sports. But if you are considering any other camera, I would take this one hands down. It is the perfect travel camera, with a great mix of portability and all the control you could ever want from a DSLR. The kit lens is extremely sharp, bordering on L quality.

If I had the cash, I would buy this in a second, as a 'walking around' camera.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 31, 2015
    If you're looking for more examples from the XT1, I posted a Journeys entry today, from Midcoast to Acadia, a mid-October wander. It includes photos from my trip taken with the XT1.

--- Denise
  • schralpschralp Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2016
    I have the X-T1 which I bought for travel as well as the D700. I find the X-T1 a dream to carry and am very happy with the images. However, despit the specifications and upgrades to firmware since I purchased it over a year ago, I still have trouble keeping up with my kids and fast paced action. I just seem to miss "the moment" even after a year of practice. I love it for contemplative photography and for travel but still find a need for a DSLR. In fact, I'm getting ready to sell my D700 along with the Fuji XF 50-140 and X100T (which I never bonded with) to pick up the D750. I think the combo of these 2 will be perfect. I just wish they could share lenses. 😉
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 1, 2016
    schralp wrote: »
    ... I just wish they could share lenses. 😉

If you don't need automation, like auto-focus, auto-aperture, in-camera metering and/or stabilization (especially if you are comfortable using manual everything preset lenses from long ago), then you might consider using a suitable lens-body adapter:

For mounting Nikon/Nikkor F mount, G-type lenses (FX or DX) on the X-T1 body, the "Metabones Nikon G Lens to Fujifilm X-Mount Camera Lens Mount Adapter" makes this possible and even practicable for still life images and landscapes, etc.:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1002617-REG/metabones_mb_nfg_x_bm1_nikon_g_mount_lens.html

http://www.adorama.com/mbnxmfx.html

For mounting FX Nikon/Nikkor F mount, (including G-type) lenses on the X-T1 body and keeping the same FOV as that lens on a Nikon FX/FF body, while also keeping a similar bokeh and increasing the effective maximum f-stop:

Ziggy note: This is a rather expensive adapter and not necessarily perfect or suitable for every lens.

"Metabones Nikon G to Fuji X Speed Booster ULTRA"
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1079572-REG/metabones_mb_spnfg_x_bm2_nikon_g_xmount_speed_booster.html/prm/alsVwDtl

http://www.adorama.com/MBSPNFGXBM2.html

Other lens adapters exist, with different capabilities and different prices too. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 1, 2016
    Thanks; I've heard of 'em. I prefer full functionality plus, I don't get the easy carry advantage of the Fuji if I put FF Nikkors on it with an adapter. I would be more interested in mounting the excellent Fuji glass on the Nikon but that doesn't really work for obvious reasons...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2016
    I have the X-T1 which I bought for travel as well as the D700. I find the X-T1 a dream to carry and am very happy with the images. However, despit the specifications and upgrades to firmware since I purchased it over a year ago, I still have trouble keeping up with my kids and fast paced action. I just seem to miss "the moment" even after a year of practice. I love it for contemplative photography and for travel but still find a need for a DSLR. In fact, I'm getting ready to sell my D700 along with the Fuji XF 50-140 and X100T (which I never bonded with) to pick up the D750. I think the combo of these 2 will be perfect. I just wish they could share lenses. 😉

Yup, while the D700 was definitely PAST the threshold of "too big and bulky to carry around for everyday shooting, a D750 and a small compact prime or zoom is a surprisingly lightweight option. I know it's just a few ounces different, but for some reason something like the D750 and the 85 1.8 G is just an amazing kit, I love mine. Or, if you truly do need zoom, a 70-200 f/4 VR is nice and lightweight too.
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited January 10, 2016
    Of course, that D5500 is about the size (and almost exactly the weight) of my X-T1. It could share lenses with the bigger SLR and have the portability of the Fuji. Thoughts...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 10, 2016
    Of course, that D5500 is about the size (and almost exactly the weight) of my X-T1. It could share lenses with the bigger SLR and have the portability of the Fuji. Thoughts...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all in favor of having both a FF/FX body and a Crop 1.5x/DX body and sharing lenses. If you have any AF-D lenses they will not autofocus on any Nikon DX body less than the D7xxx series, as the D5xxx and D3xxx series bodies lack the AF screwdrive.

If you want to have a full DX kit I do recommend buying a standard/normal zoom DX lens as well as a superwide zoom DX lens. Longer focal length lenses, both zooms and primes, work just fine.

For the standard zoom I chose the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM for my D7100 body. It has an excellent center sharpness and the edges and corners are still pretty good. The OS is good for about 2 1/2 stops (my guestimate) and the HSM autofocus is fast and sure in good light, but starts to struggle a bit when light gets lower. By comparison the Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED DX seems to work better in similar light, which is odd. I tend to use flash by ISO 800 anyway, so a flash with an AF assist light keeps the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 fast and accurate. (If I don't need flash then I use either a Yongnuo YN-622N-TX Wireless Flash Commander or Yongnuo YN-622N Transceiver for its AF assist light.)

Close focus is also rather good for this lens.

For the superwide zoom I am currently using a Tokina AT-X Pro SD 12-24mm F4 (IF) DX, but I don't have enough experience with it to have a solid opinion. Reviewers and users seem reasonably happy, with CAs the primary issue.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • hugh1hugh1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 15, 2016
    April 3,2013 post
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    I shoot a lot of low light stuff including concerts, The Fuji excel in low light.

_GA11066.jpg
    XT1, ISO 3200

_GA17747-X2.jpg
    XT1, ISO 3200

_GA17381.jpg
    XT1, ISO 3200

_GE20659.jpg
    XE2, ISO 3200

aperture%2049-X2.jpg
    XT1, ISO 6400

_DSF0970.jpg
    XT1, ISO 6400

Re shots in you 4/3/15 post, what lens or lenses did you use?
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited November 29, 2016
    bike21 wrote: »
    I can expound later, but have a look at my review here... http://www.nicklasurephotography.com/blog/2015/2/25/packing-light-in-paris-a-journey-with-the-fuji-x-t1

I also just picked up the 18-135mm and really like it for that 'all around' feeling. Plus it is my only weather sealed lens at the moment so I can confidently get outside when it's crappy out. As a recent convert from Nikon I am now a huge fan of Fuji.

Thank you for sharing your photos and thoughts on the X-T1. I'd be interested in hearing whether you (or anyone else on this forum) has tried out the X-T2?
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2016
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing your photos and thoughts on the X-T1. I'd be interested in hearing whether you (or anyone else on this forum) has tried out the X-T2?

I haven't had the chance yet, no rush personally to buy one (or rent one to make want to buy one :D ) as I'm more than happy with the XT-1 for the time being. XT-2 is certainly a jump on paper/specs but not enough that I need pull the trigger right now.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited December 5, 2016
    bike21 wrote: »
    I haven't had the chance yet, no rush personally to buy one (or rent one to make want to buy one :D ) as I'm more than happy with the XT-1 for the time being. XT-2 is certainly a jump on paper/specs but not enough that I need pull the trigger right now.

Thank you for your response, bike21. If I had the XT-1 I'm not sure I would upgrade either. Glad you are still happy with your Fuji camera!