Mini Challenge #216 - Worker(s) in action

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited November 11, 2015 in The Dgrin Challenges
Mini Challenge #216 - Worker(s) in action.

Something similar has probably been set before, but I didn't check and wanted to get things on the move asap.

I'm probably more interested in pix of (individual) people doing 'practical' jobs within the utility services or similar, rather than some pen pusher /keybd operator in a call centre.

Dramatic, moodily lit etc shots of an individual, going about their daily grind (possibly literally in the instance of a road worker using a petrol powered cutter?) - or similar - is more likely to get my attention than an overhead shot of a group of bods doing stuff on a large scale construction site.

That's why the 's' after worker has been added as an afterthought. Shots of large scale operations will have to be particularly good /well lit for this'un ...

Pics of people who are - imo - the unsung heros in the utility fields will get extra attention ... sewerage / water workers / refuse collectors / infrastructure repair people ... ie the people who's job it is to keep the 'basics' working ...whatever the weather.

Am not discounting / eliminating the usual emergency services personnel ... but they tend to be more frequent subjects in this type of topic, imo.

The competition will close 10pm Monday 9th November GMT.

##################################################
##########################

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

################################################## ########################

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2015
    Paul - great idea and challenge. Here are mine.

Edit - I replaced the original first image with a new one based on your comment re planning/thinking.

1) Mariposa County Fair set up two days before opening - washing the tents. This guy was on top of the tents giving them a scrub for the upcoming event.

IMG_4341%20hi%20pass%20adj-X2.jpg

2) Base Camp for the American Wildfire (2012 - Foresthill, Ca) - Self-contained truck wash station and worker. Outgoing Cal Fire engines returning to the front lines of the fire go through to remove debris from the previous shift. The sprinklers on the ground help remove debris from underside of vehicle.

IMG_5477%20adj%20specify%20adj-X2.jpg

3) Calstar Air Ambulance Pilot and Trauma Nurses - training session with American River Rangers/Tahoe National Forest Fire crews.

IMG_0433%20Tadj%20less%20sat%20less%20strength-X2.jpg
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2015
    Redoing my entry to be more 'utility worker working oriented. This is a workman up on TOP of the St. Louis Arch - they came up while we were there and took up some floor panels and went down the ladder - what they were doing, I don't know, but he was consulting blue prints.

n100_3039%2525201-22-2008%25252012-42-59%252520PM.jpg

These guys are well diggers in our yard - installing wells for the geothermal furnace.

100_2895.JPG

Here are construction workers in Costa Rica displaying an unusual sense of urgency - here they aren't just standing leaning on a shovel - they are running along the edges of the highway.

IMG_3003.JPG
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2015
    Paul, what a great idea. Here are a few of mine.
    If you venture into Colonial Williamsburg before 9 AM, you will find it to be overrun with workers preparing for the coming day. The streets will have uncharacteristically modern vehicles and lots of folks just trying to get things done before the tourists hit the sidewalks. I love to be here during this part of the day! They just do their work and try not to be conspicuous. At 9 AM, as if they are going to turn into "pumpkins" (pardon the seasonal pun), they disappear and it is as if they were never there at all.

1. Cleaning the fall leaves off Duke of Gloucester Street.

DSC_4059-8-XL.jpg

2. Performing the "necessary maintenance".

DSC_4215-8-2-XL.jpg

3. Unaccustomed to being noticed.

DSC_4061-8-XL.jpg
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2015
    Here are my entries:

Daily8464-L.jpg
    Heavy equipment mechanic

Daily0288-L.jpg
    Window washer

Daily3377-L.jpg
    Radio tower workers
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2015
    grandmaR wrote: »
    Not sure whether Police qualify as 'utility' but I am going to enter three different police photos from three different countries over a span of time.

Am not discounting the boys n girls in blue, as they fit into this category (as mentioned in the first post) ... just hoping for other ... less 'obvious' / high profile ? personnel.

// Am not discounting / eliminating the usual emergency services personnel ... but they tend to be more frequent subjects in this type of topic, imo //

To all ...note the theme mentions 'in action' ... not planning / thinking about engaging in it :)

pp
    edited October 30, 2015
    I love the photos of the workers in Williamsburg. And I have scrapped my policeman and entered more hard-hatted people. I wish I had a better photo of the construction workers in Costa Rica working on the cliffs over the road. They are so far away that you can only see their tiny figures cantilevered over the road.

IMG_2987.JPG
    edited October 31, 2015
    I love the photos of the workers in Williamsburg...

Thank you grandmaR.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2015
    Guy cutting sunbeams.

15593718737_e44dcf4c3c_o.jpg
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2015
    My contribution:

1. Hard at work on her father's shoes :)

Hard at workPosted: Apr 28, 2012This is the same Caribbean girl a few seconds before the other photo was taken, when she hadn't noticed me yet.When she saw me, I asked her in my poor Spanish if she was fixing her father's shoes.Straight from the camera  Bocas Del Toro, Panama

2. The tailor

3. The quilt maker

Sherbrooke pioneer village Nova Scotia, Canada
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2015
    I'd like to contribute, but please don't use for judging.

Hoisting 65,000 Lb. steel transfer truss

IMG_8948_1-L.jpg

Positioning transfer truss

IMG_9026_1-L.jpg

Welding new structural steel column, for high rise building.

154_5418a-L.jpg

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2015
    1. Digging a hole

IMG_9470-XL.jpg

2. Making a street

1D3_3240-XL.jpg

3. Installing an oven

IMG_4541-XL.jpg
    edited November 3, 2015
    Peter - That's a BIG oven
    edited November 3, 2015
    Jeroen wrote: »
    Guy cutting sunbeams.

Jeroen, awesome shot! bowdown.gif

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2015
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2015
    Peter - That's a BIG oven

Yes, it's for a bakery. Weighs 5 tons (11000 lbs)
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2015
    New member and first time participant. Here's some "workers in action" I shot this year

1: Painting high up
    PEG_NEX6_2_00101_20150308.jpg
    NEX6 + Minolta MC Rokkor 58/1.4

2: In the oven
    PEG_NEX6_2_00915_20150409.jpg
    NEX6 + Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II

3: The happy train driver
    PEG_A6000_1_4373_20150920.jpg
    NEX6 + Minolta MD Rokkor-X 45/2
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
    edited November 6, 2015
    3 days remaining, folks.

pp
  • Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2015
    Another new guy here.

i-2zKCDJZ-X2.jpg

i-s47wR3z-X2.jpg

i-WMV3dqD-X2.jpg

i-7FKgPd4-X2.jpg

Bryan
    edited November 8, 2015
    Good to see some new names around ...

A tad over 24 hrs left.

pp
    edited November 9, 2015
    That's it - closed.

Results as n when

pp
  • JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2015
    Thanks for all the nice replies and the win and the feedback :)

I took this photo on my way to work. The guy was allready cutting when I noticed him and the great light.

I only had the blink of an eye to open my messenger bag, open the camera bag inside, get the SLR out, removed the cap, kneel, check my settings and take the shot. I got 1 good shot of this scene before it was over and this is it.

I've put up a new challenge, I hope you'll enjoy :)