Recent Fall Family Shoot

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
edited November 13, 2015 in People
My computer has not allowed me access to Dgrin for several months at work....not sure why? I'm happy to say it's working fine once again. I enjoy looking at everyone's photos.
I am LOVING my new D700! These are from a recent shoot...would love any suggestions.
15October_untitled_151-L.jpg

15October_untitled_132-L.jpg

15October_untitled_065-L.jpg

15October_untitled_049-L.jpg

15October_untitled_032-L.jpg

15October_untitled_008-L.jpg

15October_untitled_017-L.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2015
    While the images may lack some punch / pizzazz, the emotions are to die for!

Sam
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2015
    See? You're worth the D700 and more. I think the lack of punch works, especially for a baby. These are sharp and soft at the same time, and I mean that in a good way, know what I mean?

I would crop 1, 2, and 7 tighter.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    While the images may lack some punch / pizzazz, the emotions are to die for!

Sam

Sam, can you tell me what you mean by lacking punch? Is it the lighting? The poses? How could I improve?
    Thanks.
    Kate
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2015
    I think it's processing, not lighting or the image - just adjust the black point and boost the brightness a bit. They're lovely!!
    edited November 12, 2015
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Sam, can you tell me what you mean by lacking punch? Is it the lighting? The poses? How could I improve?
    Thanks.

Sorry it's a little hard to explain. I think this is a great image with emotion to die for but the people are a little flat and the blown out background doesn't help. How about this direction?

i-Hn7XDpM-L.jpg
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Sorry it's a little hard to explain. I think this is a great image with emotion to die for but the people are a little flat and the blown out background doesn't help. How about this direction?

i-Hn7XDpM-L.jpg

That's wonderful. I have no idea how you did that.
    Kate
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2015
    Ditto on the black point. All photographers should have a clothing consultation with their clients. No whites, no bold colors, no crazy/big patterened outfits. No white socks, shirts that fit, clean the nails and get a hair cut a week before the session. Why not business casual not t shirts. Just on a rant in general.

There are some great expressions here and for me #4 is to die for. On #1 the bright sky detracts and maybe some pucker/push tool in photoshop on his mid section I would have lost the scarf.
    edited November 13, 2015
    Kate,

It's OK that you don't know how to replace backgrounds, but hopefully this gets you to thinking about the background prior to pressing the shutter button. That's the best way.

I do recommend you learn how to select various elements (work in layers) in an image to facilitate separate processing as needed.

Also watch sun / lens flare.

Sam
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2015
    Back-lit, washed-out, lens-flared shots seem to be all the rage these days. I seem to see a lot of them in wedding/engagement/senior photography. Not as entire sets, but definitely included. #7 goes along with that trend, and I like it. I think the blown out bg would be less of an issue if the whole image was cropped tighter.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2015
    I agree with points from both Sam and Jack. It's important to know how to shoot in a manner that preserves the background, and at the same time, keep throwing in some blown out background / naturally lit and lens flared images here and there. It's a trend, and you'll remain current in style, which equates to continuing to land work. People see stuff on Pinterest, want it on their next session, and they expect us all to know the same current trends.

It's a great set with the emotions, as Sam pointed out. I also agree with the cropping suggestion, but would still be proud to deliver this set. I love that everyone's eyes are tack sharp.

As for the clothing consult, it's always a good idea, but never let their clothing be the reason you shoot better or worse. As professionals, it's our job to work with what we have and create images the subjects love to view and share.