• amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2015
    _DSC1870%20%282%29-X3.jpg
    edited November 25, 2015
    _DSC1656%20%282%29-X3.jpg
  • Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2015
    Really nice set. Love the saturated color and sharp focus. 1& 4 show great action. The jumper is totally lost in boring background in #5, so for me that's the weakest one. I think 3 would be a stronger image without the crazy tilt. 7 has some appealing elements, but that's all it does for me. I like the last shot best. Normally a shot like that would require some negative space, but the way you captured the rooster tail it's not necessary. I love the sharpness of that image. Great work.
    Bryan
  • The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2015
    Love #1, #9, #10.

#1: I like how it shows both a pattern with the riders positioned the same, but the dirt flying everywhere also gives it that total craziness that is a motocross start... great combination of totally opposite forms, nice.

#9: The red bike off in the grass makes this shot great. I wouldn't like it as much if he wasn't there doing his own thing

#10: Great composition, like it was said earlier the roost fills the space and adds to the action of the bike. I'm glad the goggles are clear as the eyes make the shot better too.
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
    edited November 25, 2015
    Eldon Shea wrote: »
    Really nice set. Love the saturated color and sharp focus. 1& 4 show great action. The jumper is totally lost in boring background in #5, so for me that's the weakest one. I think 3 would be a stronger image without the crazy tilt. 7 has some appealing elements, but that's all it does for me. I like the last shot best. Normally a shot like that would require some negative space, but the way you captured the rooster tail it's not necessary. I love the sharpness of that image. Great work.
    Bryan

thanks! #5 the jumper takes on a whole new perspective when the story line is known. That is Gared Steinke riding the pro national round at Unadilla. He's holding down 4th place on the last lap of the 4 lap LCQ where the top 4 make the gate for the main event. which at the outdoors (motocross) is two 30 minute moto's as opposed to indoors (supercross) where the main event is one 20 lap dash (for the 450's - 15 for the 250's) but the tid bit of relevant info to the story line is Steinke rides the 250 class but as he opts to ride a two stroke he has to run a 125 vs the 250 four strokes. so making the cut at an outdoor national on a 125 against about 70 four stokes where only 40 get to the gate for the main event is fairly epic and basically every eye in that crowd knows it.
    edited November 25, 2015
    Bryan

love hearing compliments about color and sharpness. reason being, since my IMac died and I switched back to a PC over a year ago, I never got around to getting a decent monitor. I'm using a piece of crap monitor that is about as low quality as you can get. I still get a kick out of tweaking them the best I can and then seeing it on something decent and seeing the image pop. On top of that I had been using Lightroom but as PC's are susceptible to virus's...I got one of course..so I haven't had the ambition to reinstall Lightroom cos I'm basically lazy. So these have been tweaked with Windows Photo which is a pretty basic program that has no sharpness or clarity or color adjustments, only saturation, contrast, shadow, contrast. So hearing that they look good makes my day! Been playing with Picassa which is better than Photo but they both have me realizing I need to get back to LR. I just with it wasn't so damned complex.
    edited November 25, 2015
    Bryan

#3 - crazy tilt. My favorite spot to shoot Unadilla is called The Wall. They used to call it Screw You but I believe political correctness has even reached into the dirty world of dirt bikes. Whatever you want to call it its basically a U turn but the twist is it's straight downhill, very steep, a hard U turn and then straight back up. That shot was taken looking straight down from the middle of the top of the hill where they go down to my right and come up to my left. Very hard to get around the odd angles but the action is VERY intense when they make the turn and then get on the gas to come back up, the hill is STEEP. The #2 shot of Justin Bogle in the pink gear #19 was a total shoot from the hip as I'm using a 300 prime and the distance from the top is good for the bottom of the hill but too much lens for much else. But he came off the bike on the downhill and it was a classic case of shoot first ask questions later. You can see he's looking back up the hill because he knows there are bikes coming down that hill just as fast as he did and they can't see him until they leap so he's quite concerned for his own well being. Luckily he didn't get hit by anyone the flagger was on top of things and did his job but that is one of my favorite shots from the year.
    edited November 25, 2015
    Bryan
    Love #1, #9, #10.

#1: I like how it shows both a pattern with the riders positioned the same, but the dirt flying everywhere also gives it that total craziness that is a motocross start... great combination of totally opposite forms, nice.

#9: The red bike off in the grass makes this shot great. I wouldn't like it as much if he wasn't there doing his own thing

#10: Great composition, like it was said earlier the roost fills the space and adds to the action of the bike. I'm glad the goggles are clear as the eyes make the shot better too.

thanks dude. 9 & 10 are from Friday the day before the pro national at Unadilla. they run amateurs Friday and Sunday on the amateur track and then have a captive audience for the National on Saturday on the pro track. 10 was cool because he's a local rider who I've recently become acquainted with him and his dad as his dad runs a local car repair shop I was referred to and we hit it off but I had no idea the picture was him until I cropped it and had a closer look. shooting local stuff coupled with everyone friending each other on facebook becomes a blur of rider names and numbers. I'll get these messages asking "hey did you get any of me on Sunday" and you have to politely tell them "dude. don't take this personal but I don't know everyones # and your all wearing helmets so I really can't keep track of EVERYONE!" but I love shooting MX, just love it.
    edited November 26, 2015
    DSC_0009-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    DSC_0113-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    DSC_0122-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    DSC_4067-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    DSC_4074-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    _DSC5369-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    DSC_4089-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    _DSC1341%20%282%29-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    amadeus wrote: »
    Very hard to get around the odd angles but the action is VERY intense when they make the turn and then get on the gas to come back up, the hill is STEEP.

_DSC3194%20%282%29-XL.jpg

_DSC2468%20%282%29-X2.jpg

_DSC2777%20%282%29-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    from Facebook looking up that hill.

the%20wall-XL.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    awaiting the start Unadilla GNCC, more bikes to the left. approx 800 bikes in this wave...

DSC_2530-X2.jpg

_DSC4161%20%282%29-XL.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    memorial lap Englishtown NJ.

DSC_2347%20%282%29-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    _DSC1324%20%282%29-X2.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    amadeus wrote: »
    thanks! #5 the jumper takes on a whole new perspective when the story line is known. That is Gared Steinke riding the pro national round at Unadilla. He's holding down 4th place on the last lap of the 4 lap LCQ where the top 4 make the gate for the main event. which at the outdoors (motocross) is two 30 minute moto's as opposed to indoors (supercross) where the main event is one 20 lap dash (for the 450's - 15 for the 250's) but the tid bit of relevant info to the story line is Steinke rides the 250 class but as he opts to ride a two stroke he has to run a 125 vs the 250 four strokes. so making the cut at an outdoor national on a 125 against about 70 four stokes where only 40 get to the gate for the main event is fairly epic and basically every eye in that crowd knows it.

deal.gif

_DSC2278%20%283%29-XL.jpg
    edited November 26, 2015
    DSC_0159-X2.jpg