Lightbox video URL not behaving correctly

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited December 9, 2015 in Bug Reporting
I sent someone a link to lightbox view of a video.
I clicked the link myself from the email, and the video played (with problems, but that's a separate topic).
I x'd out of lightbox into the gallery, scrolled down, and found that no thumbnails or the big image (SM gallery style) were visible. I could see the L/R arrows to go from page to page, but no images.
The URL at the top had remained the lightbox URL.
Refreshing the page did not fix this.
Behavior was the same in FF, IE, and Chrome. (MS put through some updates last night.)
Win 7.

Here's an image of "nothing".
The link: http://www.joinrats.com/ModifyBehavior/Dicey1/i-772Hxwn/960

I went up to the URL and removed the video code, and the gallery then appeared correctly.

I did another test on another video, and the behavior did not repeat - except, I had tried on the standard link for lightbox that ends in /A. So I changed the selection to a specific smaller size, that drops the /A and adds the (in this example) /960, and the problem behavior repeated .

Shouldn't x'ing out of lightbox mode revert the URL to the gallery-only URL?

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2015
    Looks like it's retaining the /960 at the end of link.
    http://www.joinrats.com/ModifyBehavior/Dicey1/i-772Hxwn/960

You should be using this link with the /A at the end.
    http://www.joinrats.com/ModifyBehavior/Dicey1/i-772Hxwn/A
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    Looks like it's retaining the /960 at the end of link.
    http://www.joinrats.com/ModifyBehavior/Dicey1/i-772Hxwn/960

You should be using this link with the /A at the end.
    http://www.joinrats.com/ModifyBehavior/Dicey1/i-772Hxwn/A

The /960 link is generated in the Share panel. For video, changing the size produces the URL to the version that is causing problems.
    edited December 2, 2015
    More:

- My mistake, the /960 code is obtained when choosing sizes in lightbox mode, not when choosing size in the Share panel.

- This is still misbehavior, though, that I would choose a size in lightbox mode, such as /960, and choose to share that link (URL at the top of the browser) with someone, who, when s/he closes lightbox, sees zero images in the gallery.

- There is mis-direction or confusion with the Share panel as well, because these happen:

(1) Choosing a size first, then going to share, does not change the lightbox URL code to the desired size.
    (2) Inside Share Panel, choosing a size only affects the .mp4 link code, not the top URL, which remains only /A.
    edited December 2, 2015
    What I recall about lightbox video URL behavior is that one could change the video size and the link in the browser URL would be lightbox+size.
    edited December 2, 2015
    I think this is a bug that when exiting lightbox anything appending the link like size (or /A) is not removed.
    edited December 3, 2015
    I think this is a bug that when exiting lightbox anything appending the link like size (or /A) is not removed.

I was going to say that in my very first post but I figured I didn't have enough green dots to claim that much authority. :D
    Very glad you got there! iloveyou.gif
    edited December 3, 2015
    Actually, I see no problem with /A, only if a size is selected in lightbox.
    edited December 3, 2015
    Actually, I see no problem with /A, only if a size is selected in lightbox.

Now I'm not following... ne_nau.gif
    edited December 3, 2015
    To get to a video in lightbox either advance in lightbox from a photo or add /A to the link.
    Once in LB, exiting is no problem, only when a specific video size is selected, returning to
    the gallery there are problems. I found in Smugmug style other thumbs can't be clicked or
    no images at all will show.
    Delete the /size from the link and the gallery is back to normal.
    edited December 3, 2015
    To get to a video in lightbox either advance in lightbox from a photo or add /A to the link.
    Once in LB, exiting is no problem, only when a specific video size is selected, returning to
    the gallery there are problems. I found in Smugmug style other thumbs can't be clicked or
    no images at all will show.
    Delete the /size from the link and the gallery is back to normal.

All true.
    And, a viewer who chooses to view in a smaller size, should not have to do any of the above. X should return the person to the gallery working correctly.
    "I think this is a bug that when exiting lightbox anything appending the link like size (or /A) is not removed."

I tend always to deliberately send a smaller sized video link (choosing that in Lightbox) to someone, so that if their computer is smaller or older, they will not have to fuss with slow loading or stumbling to find the sizes options. I'm not happy that x'ing out of lightbox brought my visitor to an empty gallery.

I do also recall, and want SM to verify this, that Lightbox+size was how the URL worked. Right now changing the size seems to eliminate any reference to lightbox, even though a link for a smaller size does in fact open in lightbox.
    edited December 3, 2015
    The video when opened in lightbox will resize to the viewers window size. No need to specify a size in the link only /A.
    Copy the gallery link and add /A to send.
    ..../A
    edited December 3, 2015
    The video when opened in lightbox will resize to the viewers window size. No need to specify a size in the link only /A.
    Copy the gallery link and add /A to send.
    ..../A

I beg to differ. Some people leave their window open to fill the screen, and it might be a big screen, which is a mistake for a slow machine playing video. They don't anticipate that a big video will populate their window. Then the video doesn't load, or they hope things will go well, but they don't, and pain ensues. I like to force the video to a smaller size; this can save a lot of angst.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited December 9, 2015
    We've filed a bug report on this, though I'll be honest and let you know that there are a number of higher priority items that we'll be working on.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited December 9, 2015
    Thanks, Aaron, I appreciate it. I did guess about the priorities thing. :)