Sony a7ii, camera error

studio12cstudio12c Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited December 11, 2015 in Cameras
About 2 months ago I purchased a new Sony a7ii. It has work great up until two days ago. Shortly after I turn the camera on the screen goes black and the following appears, Camera Error turn off and on again. It's a great mirrorless camera however is this something that other have experienced and a sign of things to come. I would call the supplier but I'm on vacation in Maui. Good thing I have my 5D mark ii with me. Is there anything I can do to clear this up before I get home. About two weeks ago I installed the firmware update.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited December 10, 2015
    It appears that there are several systems on the Sony α7 II camera which can throw that error message, with the two most common being the shutter and the IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) system. Some users report that the error showed up once and never again, while other users had a progression of steadily worsening of the problem until total failure (the camera could no longer recover).

I suggest that if the problem persists you should return it either to the place of purchase for an exchange (if the camera is still under warranty) or send it to a Sony certified repair facility. (Follow Sony's recommendations for repair protocol. https://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do)

You might try:

Swapping the battery.
    Swapping the lens.
    Cleaning the lens contacts on both body and lens.

... However, I don't find anyone successfully eliminating the problem with those strategies after having that particular error message.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • studio12cstudio12c Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2015
    Thanks ziggy. I turned image stabilization off and haven't seen the error message since so I think there maybe a problem with the stabization system. I'm still getting use to the camera and I'm considering leaving it off until the shooting conditions warrant it's use, such as low light, slow shutter speed etc. What would you recommend. Would you leave it on all the time or use it given the shooting conditions.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited December 11, 2015
    Thanks ziggy. I turned image stabilization off and haven't seen the error message since so I think there maybe a problem with the stabization system. I'm still getting use to the camera and I'm considering leaving it off until the shooting conditions warrant it's use, such as low light, slow shutter speed etc. What would you recommend. Would you leave it on all the time or use it given the shooting conditions.

Unfortunately, from the searches I made concerning the error message, you may wish to leave the stabilization off until you can have the camera checked out.

Then again, if the Canon 5D Mark II (and lenses, etc.) are a complete backup system, it might be OK just to shoot using the Sony body and with and without the IBIS until it fails, which is not a certainty anyway.

If it was me, I would take the risk as long as the Sony camera is still under warranty. Definitely do register the error message and problem with Sony and schedule a return to Sony or your place of purchase ASAP (or as soon as a return works with your schedule).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums