A few from Mavericks.

JacobovsJacobovs Major grinsRegistered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
edited December 13, 2015 in Sports
The waves did not live up to they hype of this swell. Still managed to get a few.

i-23fmdLr-XL.jpg


2

i-N6kQjWd-XL.jpg


3

i-62zb6SX-XL.jpg


4

i-tVqGN2F-XL.jpg


5

i-BcH9B93-XL.jpg



Any CC is always welcome

Comments

  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Administrators Posts: 21,514 moderator
    edited January 21, 2013
    The crop on #3 is awesome! Makes the wave look massive!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • jheftijhefti Hyperope Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    Great shots Shali! You were lucky that the water and air were clear. All too often it is foggy, with a lot of silt in the water. I had hoped to get out there, but the media relations group was, to say the least, quite disorganised! And anyway, I was tied up with other events.


    I might suggest you crop a little more off the bottoms of #4 and #5. In the former, it will make the figure at the bottom less distracting. On the latter, there is just a tad too much blurred water to my eye, but it's just a very minor quibble. Both are, really...
  • ASkipASkip Major grins Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Oooh, these are neato. I like how the wave gets to be the star. What lens(es) did you end up using?
    Thanks for sharing these!
    Anna
  • JacobovsJacobovs Major grins Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    ASkip wrote: »
    Oooh, these are neato. I like how the wave gets to be the star. What lens(es) did you end up using?
    Thanks for sharing these!
    Anna
    Thanks, wound up using the 400mm f2.8. Some were using 70-200mm and others the 300mm. I have not seen their pics but I believe I made the right choice.
  • ZerodogZerodog Nikonowhore Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    #5 Rocks!! Love the profile and the background.
  • JacobovsJacobovs Major grins Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    jhefti wrote: »
    Great shots Shali! You were lucky that the water and air were clear. All too often it is foggy, with a lot of silt in the water. I had hoped to get out there, but the media relations group was, to say the least, quite disorganised! And anyway, I was tied up with other events.


    I might suggest you crop a little more off the bottoms of #4 and #5. In the former, it will make the figure at the bottom less distracting. On the latter, there is just a tad too much blurred water to my eye, but it's just a very minor quibble. Both are, really...

    Thanks. I agree with your crop suggestions. The crops would be ad odd ratio though.
  • JacobovsJacobovs Major grins Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    ASkip wrote: »
    Oooh, these are neato. I like how the wave gets to be the star. What lens(es) did you end up using?
    Thanks for sharing these!
    Anna

    I ended up using the 400mm f2.8 90% of the time. Tried the 300mm for a short time but didn't think it worked.
  • OldGuyOldGuy Major grins Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    I have never shot surfing, but #3 makes me wish I took that one. :D Absolutely a kick #%&@ photo!

    Regards,
  • JacobovsJacobovs Major grins Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    Zerodog wrote: »
    #5 Rocks!! Love the profile and the background.

    Thanks. I almost missed that one on my first pass. I love it too it has some special vibe.
  • EaracheEarache Unsharp and Oversaturated SO CALRegistered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    #5 - WoW and oh, WoW! - as is.
    The DoF and low PoV creates a miniature effect - cool!
    The surfer's stance, outfit, and the partial silhouette are part of that vibe - not to mention the sheer beauty of that wave.
    This one should surely be protected and for sale - if desired.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • JacobovsJacobovs Major grins Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    #5 - WoW and oh, WoW! - as is.
    The DoF and low PoV creates a miniature effect - cool!
    The surfer's stance, outfit, and the partial silhouette are part of that vibe - not to mention the sheer beauty of that wave.
    This one should surely be protected and for sale - if desired.

    Thanks, It's a keeper.
  • TangoTango Major grins Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2015
    #1 gave me a little adrenaline
    Aaron Nelson
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Major grins MauiRegistered Users Posts: 1,020 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2015
    #'s 1 and 5 are my favorites. Great choice of lens and positioning!
Sign In or Register to comment.