Mini Challenge #218 - Glass

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited December 21, 2015 in The Dgrin Challenges
Mini Challenge #218 - Glass

Imo glass is wonderful stuff, its properties, what it allows us to do, how we benefit from having and using it in our lives.

So, looking for 1 - 3 pics that you think show this material off in its best light (haha).

Glass should be the subject that's the main theme / subject of the pic ... rather than what - if it's clear - you see thro it.

ie if the pic is essentially of a landscape / cityscape etc that just happens to have been shot thro a clear - rather than a frosted - picture window ... this won't count.

The competition will close 10pm Monday 21st December GMT.

##################################################
##########################

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

################################################## ########################

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2015
    Here is my contribution - I hope I'm on the right track...

1. Flea market bottles

2. Chihuly artwork

3. Neon glass sign in Las Vegas - would this qualify?

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2015
    travelways wrote: »
    ...I hope I'm on the right track...

Yep, within the remit I had in mind :)

Whilst I'd expected (but neglected to mention) reflections, what I don't want to see are *plain* reflections of what the snapper considers to be 'pic worthy' scene ... ie a shot that's essentially about the view - in an unmodified, undistorted form - that just happens to have been reflected in a sheet of plain glass such as a window ... or a mirror, of course.

pp
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2015
    BTW: We normally give a few examples of our own photos when we run a challenge - maybe you want to consider doing the same so, the participants will have an idea of what you are looking for...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited December 6, 2015
    travelways wrote: »
    Oh, OK, thank you for the clarification thumb.gif

Personally I'm fascinated by reflections in windows, but everybody is different mwink.gif

I'll change the reflections with something else - no problem rolleyes1.gif

Yes, I too like window reflections ( got a minor place in an old comp here with such a pic a long time ago) ... your original (window) pic was fine ... as I said in my previous post.

Your 'window reflection' pic was essentially a montage of different parts of a scene, where each pane of glass had distorted the reflection to some extent.

This is totally different (imo) from a pic where the complete pic is a reflection in a single pane of glass /window.

Ie if you imagine standing on the pavement /sidewalk, pointing the cam at a shop window and taking a pic of the reflection seen in the window, without any window frame being visible.

This is what I don't want to see for this challenge ... it doesn't mean I don't like such pics ... or think that it's not possible to create a decent image in this way ... but glass offers much more potential than just acting as a reflector of a photogenic scene.

I'm hoping some pics here might show these (other) properties.

Re examples ... yes, I'm aware of the 'norm' here ... I'd prefer not to lead people's direction ... especially as it's only an MC ... ie no money / prizes involved ... but I'd probably offer up something similar to the 'marble run' pic I posted in the last challenge ... but using glass rather than plastic bottles, probably different shapes / sizes / colours etc ... dark field lit.

Ie a scene that's reliant on just the natural interplay between light and glass ...

pp
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2015
    etched glass
    A while back I'd bought a cheap wine glass with some nice etching on it. I cleaned and polished and had what I thought was a very clean glass and proceeded to try to capture the etched lines on it. When I used an overhead light, I discovered the reason why it was cheap: full of interior imperfections that my eye hadn't seen. Actually, I think most of the imperfections were microscopic pieces of lint from the towel I used for the final drying/polishing. I couldn't see them with my eye though.

same%20glass%2C%20different%20lighting-X2.jpg

Moving some colored lights in the background enables me to show both sides of the glass and the etching on it.
    EtchedWineGlass_107_06716-X2.jpg
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2015
    Here are a few from me:

#1 Window Glass
    windowtwo-L.jpg

#2 View from my Couch
    DSC_23122-L.jpg

#3 Wine Glass
    dsc_0052-L.jpg
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2015
    Reflecting what was...

i-CHrc222-X2.jpg
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2015
    I've been in Grenada, and a bit under the weather at the end of my trip. If I could use my dad's pictures, he has several of them with an upside-down image in a glass, but the one I have is not as clear as I would like. So I have winowed it down to this one which I was using prisms and cut glass to get rainbows.

IMG_8562.JPG

And some Chihuly at the Botanical Gardens in Coral Gables

x100_4372.JPG

And this is a plain glass with ice water in it - First Class on AA.

IMG_3664.JPG

This is not for the contest but is my dad's photo taken in 1950
    M2162-00330027.JPG
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2015
    #1: Refractive
    PEG_A850_08720_20130120-2.jpg

#2: Reflective
    PEG_NEX6_2_03226_20150829.jpg

#3: Well filled
    PEG_NEX6_2_3330_20150919-2.jpg
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2015
    My Glass Shots
    1) The Prow at the EcoTarium.

IMGP0871-L.jpg

2) Still Life "Water Spritzer"

IMGP2701-L.jpg

My Chihuly image:
    3) Shell Pink Basket Sets on large log table

IMGP8254-L.jpg

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2015
    Three functional but beautiful uses for glass (well actually four)

(1) Garden ornament to scare away the birds

20140421_029_DMC-G3-XL.jpg

(2) Stained glass to tell stories and keep out the elements (Adam and Eve - from Carcassone, France)

20110815_1290_DMC-G1-XL.jpg

(3) Chandelier to provide light, reflected in the mirrors in the Rococo Ballroom, Schaezler Palace, Augsburg, Germany

20130519_168_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

Cheers,

Sara
    edited December 21, 2015
    closed

pp