Mini-Challenge #219 - Facade Stories

DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
edited January 16, 2016 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello fellow Dgrinners,

The theme for Mini-Challenge #193 is: Facade Stories

To me "Facade Stories" are images of the sides of Buildings that have evidence of other structures or openings and features of the building that no longer exist. Signs of the changes in features and buildings that all cities and towns go through.

These images, admittedly, tend to be documentary, but can still be fascinating.

I have some subtle and extreme examples below.

Time period for this Mini will be: Today, December 24th thru Friday, January 15th - 9:00 pm EST (Massachusetts) ~ just a bit over 3 weeks, in consideration of the Holidays.

Happy shooting,
Don

************************************************** *******************************************
Usual Stuff:

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

************************************************** *******************************************

Examples would be:

_IGP6353-L.jpg

IMGP5572-L.jpg

IMGP6340-L.jpg

Hope all have a fun filed Holidays.

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2015
    Very interesting subject and I love your photos! :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2015
    travelways wrote: »

I concur with Tatiana, Don. Great idea and your sample shots are really good.

Merry Christmas,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2015
    Good idea. I immediately thought of the old Saint John's River lighthouse which is on the Mayport Naval Air Station. The bottom of this has been buried underground when the land was filled so that the runways would be stable. The 'shadow' of the top of the old house through which one entered the lighthouse (the roof line) that stood next to the lighthouse was visible in the masonry. In order to access the inside of the tower at present, one has to climb through the window - using a very tall ladder to get to the window in the photo.
    x100_7610.JPG

It is hard to see in my photo (as it is hard to see in person, but the roof shadow line is right above the gate on the left side of the lighthouse. My criticism of this photo is that you need words to tell the story.

My next example also needs words and it is a different kind of story - a Story Wall :)

Since this doesn't fit this challenge, I'm deleting it

x031107-1107Image014.jpg

This is a bridge which has a very subtitle story. Originally there was a drawbridge here. The high fixed bridge on the left was built to replace it. The powers that be left the ramps to the drawbridge in place and it is now place to fish. (I was thinking about this last night and remembered that I had this photo, but it took me two hours this morning to find it). I realize that this is not exactly a facade, but it is a story within a structure.

I think this is more what you had in mind

Collages.jpg

This building was Duke's Bar. The top of the building has DUKE'S erased on the top but it still has the Fountain, Bar, Restaurant part of the sign. This was originally an old timey bar. They had a winning dart team. It is now a fancy restaurant called "Cafe des Artistes" The iron triangular thing on the left originally held a neon sign that said "Eat Here". The fancy restaurant is akin to putting lipstick on a pig (my opinion).

http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/stagsere/se1/se5/026000/026800/026865/pdf/msa_se5_26865.pdf

This goes into my Album entitled Then and Now - pictures taken a number of years apart. This is a preliminary entry for that - I have to get a better one for 'now' as this one was taken with a cell phone and the photo was of something else and Duke's Bar was just in the background.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2015
    I concur with Tatiana, Don. Great idea and your sample shots are really good.

Merry Christmas,

Wayne
    grandmaR wrote: »
    Good idea. I immediately thought of the old Saint John's River lighthouse which is on the Mayport Naval Station. The bottom of this has been buried underground when the land was filled so that the runways would be stable. The 'shadow' of the top of the old house through which one entered the lighthouse (the roof line) that stood next to the lighthouse was visible in the masonry. In order to access the inside of the tower at present, one has to climb through the window - using a ladder.

It is hard to see in my photo (as it is hard to see in person, but the roof shadow line is right above the gate on the left side of the lightohuse.

I'll think about some other examples.

Thank you Ladies! As with my previous Mini-Challenge in September 2014, this is one of my special subjects to shoot. You can see more at Facade Stories.

GrandmaR, yes I can see the roofline marking of which you right in your image. A truly subtle version of this idea.

Hope you can come up with some more.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited December 24, 2015
    So painted walls like the ones you have are eligible too?
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Thank you Ladies! As with my previous Mini-Challenge in September 2014, this is one of my special subjects to shoot. You can see more at Facade Stories.

GrandmaR, yes I can see the roofline marking of which you right in your image. A truly subtle version of this idea.

Hope you can come up with some more.

Don
    Travelways.com
    edited December 24, 2015
    So painted walls like the ones you have are eligible too?
    As long as they still tell a story of previous construction structure changes to the facade.

Don

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    edited December 24, 2015
    As long as they still tell a story of previous construction structure changes the the facade.

Don

thumb.gif Thanks :)
    Travelways.com
    edited December 25, 2015
    As long as they still tell a story of previous construction structure changes to the facade.

Don

My second example is not a previous construction structure change - I interpreted 'story' a little differently.
    edited December 25, 2015
    I found some... I thought I had more, because I'm attracted to this kid of things, but I guess I decided it was not worth to show them so I haven't uploaded to smugmug :)

1. Starbucks coffee building on Las Vegas Strip with the classic neon (animated) Coca-Cola sign

2. Old walls in Provence

Old walls

3. Historic building in Yakima, Washington

Travelways.com
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2015
    I'll play:

2011-08-03-327-X3.jpg

2012-06-19-1-L.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2015
    edited December 26, 2015
    Tatiana, you've got the right idea. Tony, only your first one does. Don't see it in the second.

Jo, all I see is old, faded, painted signs on brick, no signs of structural changes to the facade, like closed up windows, or now missing adjacent structures. Please try again.

Don
    edited December 26, 2015
    Ok, task master! I see what you mean.....I'll look further and try finding something that better suits the challenge. Thanks for the input.
  • JayheartsJayhearts Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 26, 2015
    Newbie can't load photos from iPad
    Keep getting download fail.Don't have any idea size of photos. Also not DSL. Do I select all three pix at once? I think I can load pix to a smugmug folder called DGrin if that helps. I have been photographing brickwork, etc for years. I've just started loading them to my new account

UPDATE: I have created a location < Jayhearts.smugmug.com/DGrin >not sure of how to post the e-dress, but if you find DGrin, the three photos I'm submitting are in "Facades."

J
    edited December 26, 2015
    Jayhearts:

Below the selected photo in your Dgrin gallery, you will see a Share icon (box with an upward arrow) (sorry, my capture s/w has decided not to work, so can't show you the icon). Click that icon and you will see a dialog box where you can select the photo size that you want to share. Select the size from the list. Click inside the box with the resulting link and press CTRL + C on your keyboard. That will copy the link to your clipboard. Return to Dgrin and click the Image icon (the second from the right - a box with a landscape in it) to paste the link (use CTRL+V to paste it) and click OK. Your photo should then be displayed inside your post. Do this for each of the three photos in your gallery.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 26, 2015
    Very interesting challenge. I will participate purely as show and not to be considered for judging please. Since our little town doesn't have any buildings like the ones you have posted as examples, I will show some extremes of other countries.

1. Colosseum, Rome
    JMMed0582-XL.jpg

2. Library of Celsus, Ephesus, Turkey
    JMMed0160-XL.jpg

3. Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe
    JMMed9871-L.jpg
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2015
    I'll play, great subject and indeed one that I photographed quite often.

Here's three more recent ones, all from 2015, as my entry for this mini-challenge

Desolate abbey courtyard
    LEO_A6000_4231_20150829.jpg

Window?
    PEG_A850_2_08708_20150311-2.jpg

Outside fireplaces
    PEG_NEX6_1_09116_20150128-2.jpg
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
    edited December 27, 2015
    JAG wrote: »
    Very interesting challenge. I will participate purely as show and not to be considered for judging please. Since our little town doesn't have any buildings like the ones you have posted as examples, I will show some extremes of other countries.

JAG, I am glad you find this topic interesting. Thank you for sharing your three images, not to be otherwise considered by myself.

Don
    edited December 27, 2015
    pegelli wrote: »

Outside fireplaces
    PEG_NEX6_1_09116_20150128-2.jpg

I really like this one.

I had not considered ancient ruins as something that would meet the parameters of this topic because while they are partly destroyed, there wasn't a change in the building. Not explaining very well. But I was think that just because there was a hole in the roof, that wasn't a 'story' - just a hole in the roof of a building that was basically the same.
    edited December 27, 2015
    Thanks but no go
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Jayhearts:

Below the selected photo in your Dgrin gallery, you will see a Share icon (box with an upward arrow) (sorry, my capture s/w has decided not to work, so can't show you the icon). Click that icon and you will see a dialog box where you can select the photo size that you want to share. Select the size from the list. Click inside the box with the resulting link and press CTRL + C on your keyboard. That will copy the link to your clipboard. Return to Dgrin and click the Image icon (the second from the right - a box with a landscape in it) to paste the link (use CTRL+V to paste it) and click OK. Your photo should then be displayed inside your post. Do this for each of the three photos in your gallery.

Tried it. iPad does not have control key, but I was able to copy and past URL to post. The post did not show pix so I deleted. I will keep trying, but could use iPad specific instruction.
    J
    edited December 27, 2015
    Facade challenge test
    http://jayhearts.smugmug.com/DGrin/Facades/i-5J5gx9B
    i-5J5gx9B

https://jayhearts.smugmug.com/DGrin/Facades/i-cs6tDM6
    i-cs6tDM6

https://jayhearts.smugmug.com/DGrin/Facades/i-BLmMjrn
    i-BLmMjrn

No place to select size, although there is a key to sizes with nothing clickable the pix are at the urls shown, but do not appear in post. Frustrated.
    J

https://jayhearts.smugmug.com/DGrin
    The top three are as pasted to this post. The one after the J Is the URL of the gallery of three entries. Can you please check them out and let me know where to go from here. Thanks again, I'm quite excited to share my pix.
    J
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2015
    @ Jayhearts: you're trying to link to a page or gallery. You should link to the picture which is the URL which ends with ".jpg"
    if you do that and replace "url" in the above post with "img" (and add a backslash in the first link, just before the last "url" you're in business rolleyes1.gif
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 1, 2016
    Jayhearts wrote: »
    http://jayhearts.smugmug.com/DGrin/Facades/i-5J5gx9B
    i-5J5gx9B

https://jayhearts.smugmug.com/DGrin/Facades/i-cs6tDM6
    i-cs6tDM6

https://jayhearts.smugmug.com/DGrin/Facades/i-BLmMjrn
    i-BLmMjrn

No place to select size, although there is a key to sizes with nothing clickable the pix are at the urls shown, but do not appear in post. Frustrated.
    J

https://jayhearts.smugmug.com/DGrin
    The top three are as pasted to this post. The one after the J Is the URL of the gallery of three entries. Can you please check them out and let me know where to go from here. Thanks again, I'm quite excited to share my pix.
    J

Ok, I went to try and edit your post so that it will show. Basically, the images are not showing because of your settings on smugmug, you have to give smugmug permission to share the images on the forum. I believe the setting is under the orginization button then settings, then security/sharing for your gallery. Make sure you have your settings on inherent public and anyone for the appropriate questions. Also, for size choices, make sure that under th settings in your gallery, under the ' photo protection ' tab, that you set how big you would like your images to post. Then if you upload an image that is lets say a large size, and you have it set to show an xlarge size in the gallery, it will not give you the xlarge option when sharing the image.

To properly put them on here using a url, you need to click on the little yellow image on the posting editor, there it will ask you to paste the url. As you can see that is what I did in you post. Or if all your settings are correct, you should be able to paste the BBCode directly into the post editor and forgo any other tools. That will put not only the image, but a direct link to your gallery.

Happy New Year!thumb.gif
    edited January 15, 2016
    Seems no further takers. This will close in two hours, results in the morning, EST.

Don
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2016
    Sorry Don, I looked and looked through all my photos and really couldn't find any good candidates. But thanks, you've opened my eyes to a new detail to watch for and photograph!

Cheers, Sara
    edited January 16, 2016