Options

Weird monitor question

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited December 27, 2015 in Accessories
(Putting this here as it's more gear- than darkroom-related as a question.... By all means move if appropriate :D )

Thanks to my husband's monitor dying three days before Christmas (an unexpected gig, and an Amazon sale), I upgraded my 2009 Dell IPS panel for a shiny new Dell IPS U2414. All well, nice screen, nice colour, super-happy me.

My question: my (win 7) computer is running noticeably faster with this screen. Which makes absolutely NO sense, but it is assuredly the case.. There was nothing "wrong" with the old screen (other than a few "watermarked" spots - they drove me nuts when editing, but don't bother hubby at all, hence why he got mine and I got a new one!), but there is a CLEAR improvement in speed of everything on the machine, as well as fewer delays/crashes/memory hangs etc. Huh?!

Explanations?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited December 27, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    (Putting this here as it's more gear- than darkroom-related as a question.... By all means move if appropriate :D )

Thanks to my husband's monitor dying three days before Christmas (an unexpected gig, and an Amazon sale), I upgraded my 2009 Dell IPS panel for a shiny new Dell IPS U2414. All well, nice screen, nice colour, super-happy me.

My question: my (win 7) computer is running noticeably faster with this screen. Which makes absolutely NO sense, but it is assuredly the case.. There was nothing "wrong" with the old screen (other than a few "watermarked" spots - they drove me nuts when editing, but don't bother hubby at all, hence why he got mine and I got a new one!), but there is a CLEAR improvement in speed of everything on the machine, as well as fewer delays/crashes/memory hangs etc. Huh?!

Explanations?

Something to do with a video card driver update triggered by the new monitor? (I seem to recall something similar happening to me during a monitor update.) Also possibly a different and lower color depth or different/lower resolution, either of which may produce less data for the video card to process?

If the old monitor had to interpolate pixels, versus the new monitor displaying 1:1 pixels, I suppose that could tax the system? (I'm probably explaining that incorrectly.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums