Options

Custom Header for Client Page

CDPCDP Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 31, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Hi, I'm Jonathan and have not used this forum before. I would like to customize a client's gallery site. I wanted to add clients logo to the header with my logo and also includes menu options. The header is entire site settings. Is there a way to modify the header making it unique for one webpage even though the current header is site wide?

I attempted to do custom the individual folder but couldn't place in header. It said it was entire site wide and when I published it added logo to the header site wide. What did I do wrong? The page I was customizing indicated "just this page".

I currently have the client log as a single photo below the header section.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks You. Jonathan Tarr

Comments

• Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2015
    One approach would be to hide (with css) site-wide header on specific folders (your clients area) and show client specific header (that was in the HEADER section and hidden prior to visiting this folder). Alternatively: hide site-wide header and have a client specific header built within the CONTENT area of the client's page.

This is all high level suggestions without any specific implementation.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2015
    The only way I can think of to apply to specific areas with flow down is put all your boxes in the header "entire site".
    Then use CSS to hide/show in specific areas. Otherwise you'd have to add to every specific folder, sub-folders, page,
    and galleries.

I originally did this with banners. Added all banners "site wide" in header then used CSS to hide/show in specific areas.
    I then changed to simpler method by adding only one blank html box to header site wide and with CSS changed the background
    for specific areas. Your logo has text so wouldn't work because an image is required for background.

So I think your are stuck with adding all to header.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    CDPCDP Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 30, 2015
    photoclick wrote: »
    One approach would be to hide (with css) site-wide header on specific folders (your clients area) and show client specific header (that was in the HEADER section and hidden prior to visiting this folder). Alternatively: hide site-wide header and have a client specific header built within the CONTENT area of the client's page.

This is all high level suggestions without any specific implementation.

Thanks for the info. Haven't worked with css. Can you recommend a css tutorial?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2015
    CDP wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Haven't worked with css. Can you recommend a css tutorial?
    Each box/widget you add will have a unique class name, "sm-page-widget-xxxxxx".
    Your site wide logo and menu each have specific class names.
    Each page, folder and gallery will have a unique class name, ".sm-page-node-xxxxx".
    Using these names you can specify where each is shown/hidden.

Below is a small part of what I used when adding a bunch of banners to my home page, "entire site".
    .sm-page-widget-5028039 was my general site wide banner.
    .sm-page-widget-5027770 was a new specific banner for a folder, class name .sm-page-node-Qm7v4.
    .sm-page-parentnode-Qm7v4 is the CSS class name to flow down to all children from the folder Qm7v4.

1st hide new specific widget everywhere so only site wide shows everywhere

.sm-page-widget-5027770 {display: none;}

2nd remove site wide banner for this specific folder.
    1st line specific folder, 2nd line parentnode to flow down to all children.

.sm-page-node-Qm7v4 .sm-page-widget-5028039,
    .sm-page-parentnode-Qm7v4 .sm-page-widget-5028039 {display: none;}

Then add back in specific banner.

.sm-page-node-Qm7v4 .sm-page-widget-5027770,
    .sm-page-parentnode-Qm7v4 .sm-page-widget-5027770 {display: block;}

These were single image widgets but will work for any widget like a logo and menu.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog