Options

Help with the navigation menu bar

Less IsoLess Iso Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 1, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
Hello Guys.

I'm finishing my site "www.lessiso.com" and I'm working on hard to have it ready to be launched next week.

This is my question, when I'm navigating through my site and I'm on Portfolio page for example, that link has the activated color, I added a css code to do that, but when I enter to one of the galleries I have there the links of my navbar looks not activated. I know that happen becouse a gallery is a completly different page, but my question is, It's possible to have that Portfolio Link activated when I'm in one of the galleries?. I want the guest to know where they are in my site.

I'll attach some pics that can show the situation.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 1, 2016
    Less Iso wrote: »
    I want the guest to know where they are in my site.
    The simplest way to do that would be to include a breadcrumb, which you can add as a content block. Any reason you don't want to take the conventional approach?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2016
    Actually I don´t wanna see that breadcrumb in my site I think doesn't go good with my site's layout. That's why I wanted to know if was possible to do something. So if you have another idea how to do that I really appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Richard wrote: »
    The simplest way to do that would be to include a breadcrumb, which you can add as a content block. Any reason you don't want to take the conventional approach?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited January 1, 2016
    Actually I don´t wanna see that breadcrumb in my site I think doesn't go good with my site's layout. That's why I wanted to know if was possible to do something. So if you have another idea how to do that I really appreciate it.
    Without showing either the breadcrumb or placing the gallery name somewhere your viewers have no idea what they are looking at. If they have a question, how will the frame the question such that you know what they were looking at? Highlighting Portfolio in the menu doesn't provide information on what gallery is open.

If you don't want to show the breadcrumb you might consider placing a title in the gallery description.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2016
    Ok I see. Well what about to add a color to the breadcrumb this is showing you the place you are in that site? Like what happen when you see your menu bar links activated, so this is the code you use to do that with your navbar.

/* Make the menu nav bar text for the active page a different color */
    .sm-page-widget-nav-activepage > a {
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #f2f2f2 !important;
    }

Is there any css code to make that happen with the breadcrumb?
  • Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2016
    The answer:

.sm-page-parentnode-XfnSbf {
    font-weight: 700;
    color: #f2f2f2!important;
    }

Keep in mind, however, the right solution is to actually move your portfolio albums in the Photography-Portfolio folder instead of keeping them in Photography folder.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2016
    Thanks Photoclick, but how I do that you are suggesting? My Photography Portfolio folder it's actually a page, so when the people are seeying that they are in that page, now when they click on one og the galleries, that send them inside that gallery that is contained into a folder which name's Photography, so I have no idea how to do what you are saying that actually sounds great!!

Can you help me please?

Thanks.
  • Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2016
    First of all, everything in Smugmug is a PAGE. If you want, you can style any individual folder as a stand alone, independent page. It all depends on your idea of how your albums are structured. I do not want to impose my ideas about folder organization onto you - it's your website:) However, if you are ok with your current folders and albums organization then the code above will do what you need.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited January 1, 2016
    Thanks Photoclick, but how I do that you are suggesting? My Photography Portfolio folder it's actually a page, so when the people are seeying that they are in that page, now when they click on one og the galleries, that send them inside that gallery that is contained into a folder which name's Photography, so I have no idea how to do what you are saying that actually sounds great!!

Can you help me please?
    I would recommend that you step back and look at the structure of your site.

If I go to http://www.lessiso.com/browse I see a folder called Portfolio and pages titled About and Portfolio.

The Portfolio folder opens a folder with a URL of Photography but a folder name of Portfolio. You might want to change the folder URL to match the name.

The Portfolio folder contains a gallery called Portfolio.

The Portfolio page shows 4 galleries. This is what you are opening from the Portfolio menu entry.

I find it confusing to have 3 different things called Portfolio.

--- Denise