Options

Bing Verification

jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
edited January 4, 2016 in SmugMug Support
I got an e-mail from Bing today telling me to verify my site, and that these are my options for how to do it. I have no clue as to how to do any of them. Has anyone else gotten this notification, and how did you handle it? Thanks!

Option 1: Place an XML file on your web server

Download BingSiteAuth.xml
Upload the file to http://www.jeanachang.com/BingSiteAuth.xml
Confirm successful upload by visiting http://www.jeanachang.com/BingSiteAuth.xml in your browser
Click the verify button below

Option 2: Copy and paste a <meta> tag in your default webpage
You can add a <meta> tag containing the authentication code to the <head> section of your default webpage.
<meta name="msvalidate.01" content="F4F257770EAD03FBCF1E0F009EE60B67" />
An example:

<html>
<head>
<title>Your SEO optimized title</title>
</head>
<body>
page contents
</body>
</html>

Option 3: Add CNAME record to DNS
Add CNAME (alias) record with name 23f26854f882fa39f59d7efa662aaaef and value verify.bing.com.
So your DNS provider will resolve host 23f26854f882fa39f59d7efa662aaaef.jeanachang.com to verify.bing.com.
How to add a CNAME record to: [There was a whole lise of hosts here, like DNS Server, GoDaddy, etc., to choose from].

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    I would go to bing's contact us link and if there is an email address forward it to them asking if it is or a phishing email...
    I do this with all emails from PayPal and anyone else I suspect... ... have gotten dozens from amazon in the last 3 or 4 months...
    mine were all phishing emails.

Goods Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 10, 2013
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I would go to bing's contact us link and if there is an email address forward it to them asking if it is or a phishing email...
    I do this with all emails from PayPal and anyone else I suspect... ... have gotten dozens from amazon in the last 3 or 4 months...
    mine were all phishing emails.

Goods Luck

It looks legitimate, because in the e-mail I had to sign into my Microsoft account with my username and password in order to get to the part I showed you above. This is the original e-mail, below:

Dear Webmaster,

We noticed that you have unverified sites in your Bing Webmaster Tools account.

It takes just a few minutes to verify your website ownership and start seeing how Bing and Yahoo drive visitors to your sites.

As a reminder, you have three options for verifying your site:

Place an XML file on your web server
    Copy and paste a tag in your default webpage
    Add a specific CNAME record to your DNS

Bing Webmaster Tools helps you track important metrics (like impressions and clicks), provides insights about how Bing is crawling and indexing your site, and gives you more control over how Bing interacts with your site.

Thanks for being a part of our Webmaster Community!

Bing Webmaster Tools Team
    Blog | Forums | How-To Guides | Support

Please do not reply to this message; it has been sent from an unmonitored address.

To ensure that you continue to receive Microsoft Bing Webmaster communications, please add our domain (@e-mail.microsoft.com) to your safe senders list.

Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our online Privacy Statement.

If you would prefer to no longer receive this Bing Webmaster communication, please click here. To set your contact preferences for other Microsoft communications, click here.

Microsoft Corporation
    One Microsoft Way
    Redmond, WA 98052

When I went to their verification website, it showed my Zenfolio site was verified, but not the Smugmug one.
  • Options
    HeroOfCantonHeroOfCanton Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    Hi Jean,

Just put

in the Head Tag area of the Advanced Customizer in your SmugMug account. No need to put anything else around it, just that will be fine. I did it with Google for my site so if you're comfortable with this email then that's how you do it :D

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

With best regards,
    Ryan W.
    Quality Engineer - My SmugMug Site

Getting started on DGrin? Go here first!
    Contact a Support Hero: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2013
    Hi Jean,

Just put

in the Head Tag area of the Advanced Customizer in your SmugMug account. No need to put anything else around it, just that will be fine. I did it with Google for my site so if you're comfortable with this email then that's how you do it :D

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

With best regards,
    Ryan W.

Ryan,

Do I copy the exact code you typed or do I have different numbers? And if so, how do I know what the numbers are? Where did you get the numbers?

I just looked at my head tag and I have one there already for Google. I must have been instructed to do that a hundred years ago. :giggle If I should use those same exact numbers you showed, I'll paste them underneath the Google one, right?

Thanks so much for your help!
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    jachang wrote: »
    Ryan,

Do I copy the exact code you typed or do I have different numbers? And if so, how do I know what the numbers are? Where did you get the numbers?

I just looked at my head tag and I have one there already for Google. I must have been instructed to do that a hundred years ago. :giggle If I should use those same exact numbers you showed, I'll paste them underneath the Google one, right?

Thanks so much for your help!

Yes, just post the code under the Google one. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2013
    Yes, just post the code under the Google one. thumb.gif

Thanks, Ryan!:D
  • Options
    susanholtsusanholt Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2016
    Verify website in Bing webmaster tool
    I am trying to get my website verified through bing, I have an account and have tried to add the code to my advanced theme css, however, there is no real place to put the verify meta tag in. I have already tried on the site, specific pages, etc. nothing... I would love to have access to the theme code itself, is there away so I can do more customization that is needed to run my business..
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 4, 2016
    susanholt wrote: »
    I am trying to get my website verified through bing, I have an account and have tried to add the code to my advanced theme css, however, there is no real place to put the verify meta tag in. I have already tried on the site, specific pages, etc. nothing... I would love to have access to the theme code itself, is there away so I can do more customization that is needed to run my business..
    Note that the instructions above your post in this thread relate to legacy smugmug, not new smugmug.
    For new smugmug:

I believe that you will only be able to verify your site with bing if you have a custom domain for your smugmug site. If that's the case you should be able to use the CNAME method of verifcation, shown as option 3 on the bing help page at https://www.bing.com/webmaster/help/how-to-verify-ownership-of-your-site-afcfefc6.

By the way you might want to revisit the method you are using to show your photo in your artist statement. When I look at it the photo has slid over the text, not very professional looking. Don't assume that your viewers will all be using a large monitor; check the page on different sized browser windows.

--- Denise