? for those who photography sports and portaits...

MRudlandMRudland Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited January 9, 2016 in Sports
Question : for those who shoot sports as well as say portraits. How do you organize your website? I shoot both the normal human photography as well as equine sports, some high school sports. I'm needing a way to make my website easier to navigate and separate the sports from the normal human stuff. Would love to see your websites and hear your thoughts.

Comments

• PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2015
    One thought is to not mix them, create a totally different website and even company name. Maybe your name 'Rudland' is in your current wedding/portrait business, then you create a different site for "MR Sports Photography". I think customers for one or the other service would think you're really a pro who concentrates on their specific subject when they see a site dedicated to it. Would you hire the best Sports Illustrated photographer to shoot your wedding?

Just an idea to toss out there.....
  • tartan snowtartan snow Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2015
    I do horse racing and other equine stuff as well as soccer, rugby and landscapes. I just have them in different folders
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2015
    Photogbiker makes a good point and if I was full time I would probably do that. But I'm not, so I just have my one SmugMug pro site. SmugMug makes organization a snap, highly recommended. www.jmphotocraft.com
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • RikMRikM Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2015
    That's a nice clean looking site Jack.

I do it the same way and organise into separate galleries. I shoot dog agility and acrobatic gymnastics as well as (if I am honest) anything I feel like. Since I shoot for the clubs rather than just myself, I put the event shots in passworded private galleries. I am in the process of getting more releases signed, so I can copy some of the best ones to my front page 'portfolio' galleries.

There's a link in my sig. if you're interested.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2016
    My top levels are:

Events
    Sports
    Portrait
    Clients
    Landscapes

In sports, for example I have everything separated by season. So 2011-12, 2012-13, 2014-14, ...

Under that is individual sports like Basketball

then below that is yet another category boys and girls

Yes, it's a lot of navigation but typically when I share on social media I'm posting a direct link, as I am with a portrait or commercial client.
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2016
    Hi - I worked with Tom Snitzer on his customization and organization of his SmugMug site. We took one SmugMug site and created four themes - Nature/Travel, Sports, Corporate/Organization and Theatrical (http://www.snitzerphotography.com/). So basically separated Sports into its own area and theme.
    This also makes it easy for him to send out an unique link : http://www.snitzerphotography.com/Sports
    - jerryr
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2016
    I don't think you need to have separate websites especially if you don't make a big amount from it. The simplest thing to do is just have better organization as others have suggested. Have a sports and portrait section.