Options

editing search results

synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited January 6, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
In the old version of SM, I recall being able to do a search and then use the keyword, title and caption editor to work on the search results.

When I do a search now, however, there is no way to bring up that tool that I can see. If I switch to the organizer, I get the top level and my search results disappear.

As a work around, I'd be perfectly happy to be able to create a smart gallery where the rules let me get the same results I can get with a search. A search on "forest", for example, will bring up all images that have "forest" as a keyword, part of a keyword, part of a title or even just in the caption. Once I have the gallery, I can then use the editing tool.

Another acceptable work around would be to be able to create a gallery from search results.
Brandon Smith
http://redwoodtwig.com
Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited January 3, 2016
    synature wrote: »
    As a work around, I'd be perfectly happy to be able to create a smart gallery where the rules let me get the same results I can get with a search.
    You can currently create a smart gallery and edit the photo characteristics in Organizer.

I have an unlisted gallery that is defined as a smart gallery pulling from keywords. I have been using it mainly for keyword cleanup (or change) activities. I change the smart gallery rule to select the keyword, then open the gallery. I can use organizer against that gallery to alter the photo keywords, captions, etc.

It's possible to set up multiple rules.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2016
    You can currently create a smart gallery and edit the photo characteristics in Organizer.

I have an unlisted gallery that is defined as a smart gallery pulling from keywords. I have been using it mainly for keyword cleanup (or change) activities. I change the smart gallery rule to select the keyword, then open the gallery. I can use organizer against that gallery to alter the photo keywords, captions, etc.

It's possible to set up multiple rules.

--- Denise

I have been trying this. But I need a rule type that works like search does. I search from the home page on "river birch" and get three hits. But when I put "river birch" in the keyword field of a smart gallery, I only get one hit. Only one that has that as a keyword. Search found one that had that phrase in the title, and another where it appeared in the caption. This is fairly trivial, since I can open the other two images from the search and change the keywords that way. But when I put "upper pond" in search I get several hundred hits in the search but only about 20 actually have that as a keyword.

I still distinctly recall the joy I felt when I discovered the trick of searching and pulling up the keyword, title and caption tool on the search. Why didn't that come forward into the new Smugmug, I wonder?
    Brandon Smith
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited January 4, 2016
    I have been trying this. But I need a rule type that works like search does. I search from the home page on "river birch" and get three hits. But when I put "river birch" in the keyword field of a smart gallery, I only get one hit. Only one that has that as a keyword. Search found one that had that phrase in the title, and another where it appeared in the caption. This is fairly trivial, since I can open the other two images from the search and change the keywords that way. But when I put "upper pond" in search I get several hundred hits in the search but only about 20 actually have that as a keyword.

I still distinctly recall the joy I felt when I discovered the trick of searching and pulling up the keyword, title and caption tool on the search. Why didn't that come forward into the new Smugmug, I wonder?
    You can put multiple rules in the search criteria for a smart gallery.

Have you tried using 2 rules in the smart gallery, one for "upper" and one for "pond"? You will likely want to make sure that you are specifying "match any" is you want to match on either of the words.

You're right, this is not the same exact functionality but I suspect it will get you further than you were before in terms of finding the photos in terms of keyword matches. But you can only set up the search to match on the five items shown in the dropdown and caption is not one of those items.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2016
    You can put multiple rules in the search criteria for a smart gallery.

Have you tried using 2 rules in the smart gallery, one for "upper" and one for "pond"? You will likely want to make sure that you are specifying "match any" is you want to match on either of the words.

You're right, this is not the same exact functionality but I suspect it will get you further than you were before in terms of finding the photos in terms of keyword matches. But you can only set up the search to match on the five items shown in the dropdown and caption is not one of those items.

--- Denise

Yes, have tried multiple rules joined by any. But the smart gallery keyword expects a complete keyword and what came up for "upper" in one rule and "pond" in the other was 43 images that happened to have just the keyword "pond"; there weren't any with "upper".
    I added another rule for "upper pond" and it found another 100 or so. The keyword rule has to match keyword exactly.
    Brandon Smith
  • Options
    Omnis LuxOmnis Lux Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2016
    In the old version of SM, I recall being able to do a search and then use the keyword, title and caption editor to work on the search results.

Hi synature.

If you do a search via either a custom search box, map or keyword cloud, the search results will appear in a gallery which style is set to default. That is, if your default gallery style is set to 'Collage Landscape', 'Collage Portrait' or 'Thumbnails', you can not perform inline editing on the search results. But if you set the default gallery style to 'SmugMug' or 'Journal', you can perform inline editing on the resulting images of the search. On the custom search box you have to set 'Results Page' to 'Keyword Gallery', not to 'Search Page'. Inline editing can not be performed on results from the search box on the standard Search Page.

To set default gallery style, first go in to one of your gallery pages, then 'Customize -> Content and Design'. Then, on the right hand side of the screen, under 'On All Galleries', press the wrench to the right of 'Gallery'. On the top of the 'Gallery Styles' window, you can choose default style.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2016
    Omnis Lux wrote: »
    Hi synature.

If you do a search via either a custom search box, map or keyword cloud, the search results will appear in a gallery which style is set to default. That is, if your default gallery style is set to 'Collage Landscape', 'Collage Portrait' or 'Thumbnails', you can not perform inline editing on the search results. But if you set the default gallery style to 'SmugMug' or 'Journal', you can perform inline editing on the resulting images of the search. On the custom search box you have to set 'Results Page' to 'Keyword Gallery', not to 'Search Page'. Inline editing can not be performed on results from the search box on the standard Search Page.

To set default gallery style, first go in to one of your gallery pages, then 'Customize -> Content and Design'. Then, on the right hand side of the screen, under 'On All Galleries', press the wrench to the right of 'Gallery'. On the top of the 'Gallery Styles' window, you can choose default style.

Hope this helps :)

Almost, but not quite. I want to use the Edit keywords, titles and captions page with the grid of all the images and the ability to make bulk changes. I have a large number of photos with keywords that I need to change, e.g. "lower pond" to "3.lowerpond", to get my smart galleries to behave the way I want. Inline editing one by one through 100's of images takes a long time. Especially because one has to keep mousing around to get the keyword section up to where you can edit it.
    Brandon Smith
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2016
    Almost, but not quite. I want to use the Edit keywords, titles and captions page with the grid of all the images and the ability to make bulk changes. I have a large number of photos with keywords that I need to change, e.g. "lower pond" to "3.lowerpond", to get my smart galleries to behave the way I want. Inline editing one by one through 100's of images takes a long time. Especially because one has to keep mousing around to get the keyword section up to where you can edit it.
    This is exactly what you're looking for.
    I had to do a lot of keyword cleanup and used a combination of a smart gallery and this Extension for Chrome.
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247592
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2016
    Allen wrote: »
    This is exactly what you're looking for.
    I had to do a lot of keyword cleanup and used a combination of a smart gallery and this Extension for Chrome.
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247592

Yes indeed, this is what I was looking for. I'd played with his tools a few years ago and am glad to see he's improving them!
    Brandon Smith