Options

Christmas Day in Olympia Park

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,833 Major grins
edited January 12, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Hi All,

related to my previous thread, here are a few other pictures from our walk around the park. The weird wood structure is a ramp they built for a "Red Bull Crushed Ice" competition - the ramp will be filled with ice so that (young idiotic) men can skate down.

1) a Lightroom pano, stitched together from 5 hand-held photos

20151225_020_DMC-G5-Pano-XL.jpg

2) the light's starting to change...

20151225_036_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

3) the birds take flight

20151225_038_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

4) the weather was so clear that the entire chain of the Alps were visible, from Austria to the Allgäu

20151225_046_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

5) this is the Zugspitze, the highest peak in the German Alps

20151225_068_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

6) Sunset

20151225_072_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

7) weird knitted tree covers

20151225_075_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

8) sunset through the trees

20151225_076_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

9) silhouettes

20151225_077_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

10) another through-the-trees shot

20151225_083_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

All hand-held using my faithful Panasonic Lumix G5 with the 14-140 (28-280 equiv) F4.0 zoom.

Criticism and comments welcome.

Cheers, Sara

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2016
    Lovely set Sara!!
    $4, #6, #9 and #10 are my favorites!clap.gifclap
    For #4, the pointy thing on far left, I would explore if it can be cloned out as it is getting attention....
    Cheers!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2016
    Nice set Sara.
    3, 4 and 9 are my favs! with #9 being the Grand Prize winner!

Take care,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2016
    All are beautiful... Love, love #9 Sara... the body-language of the silhouettes is great! clap.gif
    #2 is very nice also, and, because it shows more of the building, I like it better than the closer shots in your other thread (imo color works better).
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2016
    Taz, Wayne & Eric, thanks for the comments. re: #9 - we rounded a corner in the path and suddenly the sihlouettes on the opposing hill were in front of me. Of course I took several shots, my goal to get the kite in the frame with the guy flying it. Interestingly enough, I find it the pictures without the kite have more dramatic tension.

Taz, thanks for the heads up on that church spire. I have now cropped it out (and bumped up the orange luminosity a bit:

20151225_046_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2016
    Love the reworked version! Cheers!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2016
    Got yourself some really good stuff in this series, Sara. I was interested in the long-range view of the German Alps. I'm actively planning now for a trip next Summer that will traverse the entire length of the Alps....essentially from start to finish. I believe it entails running through parts of 7 or 8 countries and covers around 700 miles from start to finish. It will be a relative slow-pace affair as I intend to devote two weeks to the venture.

Have a great new year,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2016
    Tom, that sounds like a great trip. One thing I would recommend is to bring good rain clothes (dress in layers) - the weather can be very iffy here in the summer. I'll belooking forward to your photo report!

That evening we were very lucky - as I said the Alps were completely "out". I stood on a bench with my friend holding onto my waist and zoomed out and rotated as smoothly as I could. The panorama was not so great because some people were standing in the way (how dare they!) but a couple of the shots turned out ok. Because my lens is so slow I had to bump to iso 1600 which in my camera means I have to do considerable noise reduction.

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2016
    I'm blown away by the composition and lighting in #4! Can't even look at the rest as I'm still taking this one in! Stunning! --Carter
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2016
    Hi Carter, thanks for taking the time to comment. Glad you liked the photos!

Cheers, Sara