Color Temperature of lights in workspace?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited February 5, 2016 in Digital Darkroom
My office where I post process has track lighting overhead - used to light workspace and photos on wall.

My current light bulbs are not great - bought at Home Depot. CRI is maybe 80.

I'm planning to buy Soraa LED bulbs with a CRI of 95. The million dollar question is what color temperature should I get: 2700, 3000, 4000, 5000K?

I'm leaning toward the 5000K and may then calibrate my monitor to a 5000K temp (?). Just a bit concerned it will be too blue of a light for day to day use. Also the 5000K seem to be the most difficult to get and are rarely in stock.

The 4000K seem to be in stock at one place I shop now so that would help with the whole instant gratification thing....

Appreciate your thoughts.

E

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2016
    eoren1 wrote: »
    My office where I post process has track lighting overhead - used to light workspace and photos on wall.

My current light bulbs are not great - bought at Home Depot. CRI is maybe 80.

I'm planning to buy Soraa LED bulbs with a CRI of 95. The million dollar question is what color temperature should I get: 2700, 3000, 4000, 5000K?

I'm leaning toward the 5000K and may then calibrate my monitor to a 5000K temp (?). Just a bit concerned it will be too blue of a light for day to day use. Also the 5000K seem to be the most difficult to get and are rarely in stock.

The 4000K seem to be in stock at one place I shop now so that would help with the whole instant gratification thing....

Appreciate your thoughts.

E

Soraa has a very good reputation.

I chose to use Phillips florescent F32T8/950 bulbs. Color temp 5000K and a CRI of 98 for my small (17' X 14')studio work area. I have 7 dual 48" light fixtures to light the work space and the room is almost shadow free.

Most icc profiles are designed at 5000K.
    i-dD4jsQG-L.jpg

They be my thoughts.

Sam
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2016
    That's a really nice looking space Sam.

Thanks for the thoughts on the 5000k.

Guess I'll bide my time as I wait for them to be delivered where I pre-ordered them.

E
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2016
    I can't remember where I picked up the idea, but it was suggested someplace and I recently set up my office/editing space with 4000K lightbulbs. Purchased from Amazon. Cool and white. They took a while to get used to, but I think it's a good temp under which to view photos. Rather neutral.